Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car vs Spanish Car

UK car vs Spanish Car

Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

MichaelZhao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK car vs Spanish Car

Hope you're all alright! I am looking to move and live for 6-12 months in Almeria, Spain. I am not sure what should I do in terms of the car, I noticed that the cars in Spain are more expensive and I was thinking to drive and use my UK car in Spain. Is this a good idea? I am researching at the moment if I can insure a UK car with a Spanish insurer or if I should register the car in Spain. I don't know how Spanish regulations work and I hope to get some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car vs Spanish Car

Originally Posted by MichaelZhao
Hope you're all alright! I am looking to move and live for 6-12 months in Almeria, Spain. I am not sure what should I do in terms of the car, I noticed that the cars in Spain are more expensive and I was thinking to drive and use my UK car in Spain. Is this a good idea? I am researching at the moment if I can insure a UK car with a Spanish insurer or if I should register the car in Spain. I don't know how Spanish regulations work and I hope to get some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.

29th March comes to mind, things may change. or not, depending on what happens with Brexit, so your planned date of moving may be part of the problem.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, for a short trip keeping the UK car is the best option. Reregistration is expensive. If it has a 12 month MOT(if needed) and taxed in the UK, and insured, either with a UK company or Spanish company it will be legal. As Mike said, a no deal Brexit could change the situation, not least because it might be difficult for you to stay in Spain for more than 90 days.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you James and Mike for taking your time to answer. At the moment I am insured with More Than which is black box based and it doesn't allow me to drive away out of the UK. I got in my mind before I fire off to the journey from UK to Spain to get an insurance from a Spanish insurer (which will let me go on this long journey). Are any insurer that comes in your mind?

Last edited by MichaelZhao; Feb 21st 2019 at 10:41 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Most Spanish insurers will only give you temporary cover (typically 30 days) whilst you change to Spanish reg.

Also it's a general principal of all insurance that you cannot have double cover so without cancelling your UK policy you could find that in case of a claim a Spanish insurer would refute a claim and refer you back to More Than who in turn will say that you broke the terms of your contract and also knock you back.

Your best option is to switch your UK insurer to one who will cover you for the sort of journeys you propose.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Worth a look here (and regularly!)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Most Spanish insurers will only give you temporary cover (typically 30 days) whilst you change to Spanish reg.

Also it's a general principal of all insurance that you cannot have double cover so without cancelling your UK policy you could find that in case of a claim a Spanish insurer would refute a claim and refer you back to More Than who in turn will say that you broke the terms of your contract and also knock you back.

Your best option is to switch your UK insurer to one who will cover you for the sort of journeys you propose.
Thanks Notdunroanin for your response. That sounds safer rather than dig into the unknown. Is it quite easy to register the car in Spain? Is a BMW 320D and I am 22 years old.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MichaelZhao
Thank you James and Mike for taking your time to answer. At the moment I am insured with More Than which is black box based and it doesn't allow me to drive away out of the UK. I got in my mind before I fire off to the journey from UK to Spain to get an insurance from a Spanish insurer (which will let me go on this long journey). Are any insurer that comes in your mind?
There are many Spanish insurance companies that will insure a UK registered car.
e.g .....
Car Insurance In Spain | Jennife Cunningham Insurances SL

Insurance in Spain in English

British Car Insurance in Spain | British Car Insurance in Portugal

https://www.lineadirecta.com/Recurso.../Ventajas.html

.... + many others

We've found Spanish insurance is cheaper and includes breakdown cover. However, you may have a problem with being under 25 yo.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

EagleJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Most U.K. Policies give you 3rd party In the EU
LV offer 180 days cover outside of the EU.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EagleJ
Most U.K. Policies give you 3rd party In the EU
LV offer 180 days cover outside of the EU.
That is EU law all car insurance must cover the vehicle for minimum of third party insurance cover in all EU countries. The likes of the LV 180 day cover is for same level of cover as you have in the UK so if in Spain over 180 days cover would say go from fully comprehensive to 3rd party. Of course after Brexit that may well change.