Reload this Page >

UK car or Spanish car??

UK car or Spanish car??

Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Mitzybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK car or Spanish car??

Hi
were moving to Spain next year and need advise regarding a car.
is it better to sell our UK car before leaving the UK and purchase a Spanish one on arrival or is it better to bring our UK car over to Spain and put Spanish plates on it
Any advise gratefully received. We have a UK car but no sentimentality so happy either way to keep or sell. Just want the easiest and most hassle free option.
thanks Kathy.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Fede8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car or Spanish car??

Hello Kathy,
I'm currently living in Spain and I'm going to tell you some stuffs accordingly to my knowledges.

I don't know either you're willing to get a new car or you can afford a new car. However, according to your question, I'm not sure about how much money a car costs within UK, but in Spain you can find prices between 2.000€ up to X00.000€, as long as you get a new car (0 KM). Obviously, if you get a second-hand car, it's going to be cheaper.

Regardless the money, if I were you I would sell the car and get a new one in here. That's going to be a good choice.

If there's any other question I may help with, don't hesitate to contact me or reply in here and I will surely try to help out,
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzybaby
Hi
is it better to sell our UK car before leaving the UK and purchase a Spanish one on arrival or is it better to bring our UK car over to Spain and put Spanish plates on it
Any advise gratefully received. We have a UK car but no sentimentality so happy either way to keep or sell. Just want the easiest and most hassle free option.
thanks Kathy.
Why give yourselves extra problems here with a RHD car? It's bad enough coping with Spanish driving habits, such as tailgating, in a Spanish car.
The best hassle free option is definitely sell your car in the UK & buy here.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Fede8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ops, I forgot this and I completely agree with him ^. Try to get a car in here and get used to the driving system.

Last edited by Fede8; Aug 19th 2018 at 4:11 pm. Reason: miswrote a word
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzybaby
Hi
thanks Kathy.
It would be easier to sell your UK registered car before leaving the UK and buy a Spanish car on arrival in Spain. You'll probably need help with the paperwork for either option but it's easier driving a left hand drive car in Spain.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 4:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
Lots of people move here and then move back for a variety of reasons; there are good reasons for using you RHD car in Spain while you settle in. However there are time constraints and the maximum you can use it for is six months, BUT to stop having to pay "import tax" on it (actually it is "first registration in Spain tax") - you must change to Spanish plates within 60 days.

If you "know and love" Spain then the advice above is good. Second hand cars here are more expensive comparatively as there are fewer company cars. If buying new then cars here seem cheaper but the specification may be lower.

Davexf
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

When we came to Spain we had some personal belongings we did not want to trust to removers and a pet. We drove our UK registered VW Polo over and sold it here for approximately the same as we would have received in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have some special reason for bringing your car to Spain (such as moving a load of stuff) don't even think of bringing it. New cars are well discounted here and you will probably get a similar deal as you would in the UK. Yes, S/H cars are more expensive but they will hold their value better than a cheaper S/H car would in the UK.

You will have to register a UK car here within 6 months and it is a bit of a hassle, best avoided, and if you do you will always have the wheel on the wrong side - think car park ticket machines!
Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish car every time. Too much hassle otherwise at a time when you will have enough hassles as you go through the learning curve. Good luck.

I would also suggest you organise to swop to a Spanish driving licence ASAP as well.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel no attachment to the car you are better off as others have said just selling before you come over.
We legally use a RHD UK reg car for our time in Spain ( not an option if your are Spanish resident) which includes the trip through France etc twice a year there are vertically no occasions where RHD is a noticeable pain, add to that the fact that used and new cars are noticeably more expensive than the UK at current exchange rates there are benefits to taking your car with you.
You can get a few quotes for re registering your car before you come over, once you know the costs involved you can make a better choice.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise Fred.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Many different opinions here. I brought my Mercedes B class over. I got it for less than £5000 in Uk. Converting and matriculation was 800€. Was very easy. A Spanish car, similar age and mileage was 11000€ .
i will be keeping this car for ever.
it’s easy to drive a rhd over here, no issues.
Dont let people put you off.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
Many different opinions here. I brought my Mercedes B class over. I got it for less than £5000 in Uk. Converting and matriculation was 800€. Was very easy. A Spanish car, similar age and mileage was 11000€ .
i will be keeping this car for ever.
it’s easy to drive a rhd over here, no issues.
Dont let people put you off.
That depends where you live, here the turns in the village are hazardous in a RHD and parking machines would mean getting out to get the ticket. The biggest problem I see is people already in the middle of the road trying to see if they can overtake.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

My two penneth is yes better to have LHD as that fits in with the road system. However for many years I drove RHD in Germany without major issues and have done so in Spain when on long visits with my UK car. Biggest disadvantages to take into account are yes ticket machines , parking visiting airport etc. Depending where you live it can be problematic driving up mountain roads as every bend is a blind bend. But main roads either drive at pace of other road users or if you must overtake drop back a little first to give you a view of road in front. RHD will have far less value in Spain in case you part ex or sell. So as I said at begining not ideal but can be done really down to you .

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 22nd 2018 at 12:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.