Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Old May 12th 2006, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Graham2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Thanks for the quick answer !

I am going to get my NIE next week. But how will I stand when I import my car next April, will I have to pay this tax (7% or 12% depending on the value of the car) ?
Old May 12th 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham2005
i don´t want to legally import my car to Spain until maybe next April as it is legal until then.

NO it is not.

unless of course you´ve found an insurance company that will insure you for a year in a different country...
Old May 12th 2006, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

erkut is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick answer !

I am going to get my NIE next week. But how will I stand when I import my car next April, will I have to pay this tax (7% or 12% depending on the value of the car) ?
It will depend on the reason why you're getting a NIE. You should be fine if you are still a resident in the UK and are only getting a NIE so you can acquire property in Spain. In this case, when importing the car later, you will need to prove to the Spanish authorities that you got the NIE as a non-resident and only so you could pay for the taxes incurred by the property transaction - the 30 period will start counting from your 'empadronamiento'. This was my case.

If you are already living in Spain, the only way you can avoid the tax is applying for the import of the car within 30 days of the issue of your NIE. If you import the car next April you will certainly have to pay the higher tax (because to avoid it you are required to have lived outside Spain for at least 12 months before the import). The exact tax amount will depend on the model and year of your vehicle. In my case, a Treg Frontera, I would have paid 700 euro tax instead of the 100euro I actually paid. In our case it would have been worth importing the car even if we paid the higher tax but the 600 euro saving has been a nice incentive.

Cars are quite expensive over here because the used car market is extemely underdeveloped so if you're happy with your current car it may be worth importing rather than selling it and trying to get a new car in Spain.

Monica
Old May 13th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Hi Again !

I am really confused now !! I thought the NIE and residencia were 2 different things as well. My understanding is that you can have an NIE (which u need to buy a house etc.) but the residencia is for only when you live in Spain permanently.

Can anyone help...
Don't be. They are. Having a N.I.E - for whatever reason - does not make you resident.

However, bank accounts opened with a N.I.E will be treated by many Spanish banks as a resident's bank account (whether you are, or are not). If you want a non-resident's bank account then you will have to use your passport number and sign the appropriate declaration that you are non-resident (every year).

As stated, a stay of greater than 180 days in the country also makes you automatically resident, assuming you are legally entitiled to be there/here.

Applying for empadronamiento also effectively defines the start of your residency.

Whether you should get a residency permit is another matter, somewhat in debate at the moment, since the requirement may soon be abolished for EEC member citizens. Nonetheless, like all paperwork, it doesn't hurt to have it in lieu of your certificate of empadronamiento, passport and N.I.E.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:24 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
No
Old May 26th 2006, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

graham&lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

First post here, but this threads all about what I'm struggling to decide at the moment!

We're moving to Spain in a few weeks, but can't say whether this will be permanent or not yet (nothing to do with Spain, more to do with whether it's practical or not to run our English businesses from a distance).

I was going to bring a reasonably new RHD car over (couple of years old, worth about £18k), but now I'm not so sure! Second choice would be to buy from one of the UK LHD dealers (any recommendations here on the good ones?). Third choice is to buy a similar valued LHD in Spain.

But can I buy in Spain, as a non resident? Or do I need to get an NIE? And if I do need a NIE, can I get one without the reason being property purchase?!

Thanks for any help you can give

Graham

ps. also does anyone know of any decent car dealer websites for the malaga/marbella area? can't seem to find any!
Old May 26th 2006, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by graham&lisa
Hi All,

First post here, but this threads all about what I'm struggling to decide at the moment!

We're moving to Spain in a few weeks, but can't say whether this will be permanent or not yet (nothing to do with Spain, more to do with whether it's practical or not to run our English businesses from a distance).

I was going to bring a reasonably new RHD car over (couple of years old, worth about £18k), but now I'm not so sure! Second choice would be to buy from one of the UK LHD dealers (any recommendations here on the good ones?). Third choice is to buy a similar valued LHD in Spain.

But can I buy in Spain, as a non resident? Or do I need to get an NIE? And if I do need a NIE, can I get one without the reason being property purchase?!

Thanks for any help you can give

Graham

ps. also does anyone know of any decent car dealer websites for the malaga/marbella area? can't seem to find any!
I would say not worth bringing over a RHD car as well, irrespective of age or value.

You need a NIE to buy a car here along with a couple of other things discussed in a very recent thread here, but that does not mean you need to be resident. You can cite car purchase as the reason for needing a NIE without problems - I did.

Bringing a LHD vehicle from the Uk will still give you most of the problems that bringing a RHD vehicle will, with the exception that you'll be able to resell it later.

Buy a LHD car in Spain, period.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Hi Graham,

Second hand car prices in Spain are high so I would keep that as a remote third choice.

If you hunt around on this site there is lots about importing RHD & LHD cars to Spain. There are differences if you keep it as a UK taxed and tested or change to Spanish which you might have to do if you keep it in Spain for a long period.

One site that has impressed me for knowledge and experience of taking cars to Spain is: -

http://www.motorfashion.co.uk/index.html

Regards,

John.
[QUOTE=graham&lisa]Hi All,

Second choice would be to buy from one of the UK LHD dealers (any recommendations here on the good ones?). Third choice is to buy a similar valued LHD in Spain.

Graham
Old May 26th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

as a driver of a uk plated car that gets stopped at least once a month...i´d say never bring a uk car to spain.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a whole list of sites in Spain & Germany as well as Belgium if anyone wants them
Old May 27th 2006, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Hi Mitzyboy,
Can you post them or PM them please, particularly the Belgium & German ones since they are likely to be cheaper and I am not intending to import my new. vehicle to Spain on a permanent basis.

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have a whole list of sites in Spain & Germany as well as Belgium if anyone wants them
Old May 27th 2006, 12:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Mitzyboy,
Can you post them or PM them please, particularly the Belgium & German ones since they are likely to be cheaper and I am not intending to import my new. vehicle to Spain on a permanent basis.

Regards,

John.
pm'd
Old May 28th 2006, 1:35 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Just heard that here in the Costa Blanca the police are having a blitz on UK cars - many roadblocks and giving drivers 30 days to import your car (approx. cost 1200 euros) or else.

Again - I would say just avoid the hassle sell in UK and buy in Spain - yes you will take a hit but start afresh here in Spain with your new life.

Mark
Old May 28th 2006, 2:34 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by GCM
Just heard that here in the Costa Blanca the police are having a blitz on UK cars - many roadblocks and giving drivers 30 days to import your car (approx. cost 1200 euros) or else.

Again - I would say just avoid the hassle sell in UK and buy in Spain - yes you will take a hit but start afresh here in Spain with your new life.

Mark
But buying in the UK or Germany can make perfect sense if timed correctly as car prices in Spain are a lot higher and for less quality vehicles.

Having been on the look out for a 4 x 4 for ages I can source them in Germany in good condition with low mileages (15-25000 kms). In Spain the ones I've seen haven't been looked after and have high mileages, well over 100,000 kms, and cost more (and thats when you can find them)
Old May 31st 2006, 4:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM

Mark
I'm on the Costa Blanca, didn't bring a car over and have just, after 6 months, decided to buy one here, absolutely no problems, but I have an NIE number, am on the padron and have applied for residencia. I don't wonder the police are hving a crack down as I've seen UK reg cars here with tax discs that expired in 2004

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.