UK Car in Spain - Insurance

UK Car in Spain - Insurance

Old May 21st 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

livingonbeans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Car in Spain - Insurance

Hi,

I'm just after a bit of advice.

I'm going to be driving down to Spain in a few weeks and would like to leave my car there to use for at least the summer. I was wondering if anyone had any experience insuring their UK car in Spain, and if they can recommend any companies?

Thanks again,
Danny
Old May 21st 2015, 12:12 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Car in Spain - Insurance

Originally Posted by livingonbeans
Hi,

I'm just after a bit of advice.

I'm going to be driving down to Spain in a few weeks and would like to leave my car there to use for at least the summer. I was wondering if anyone had any experience insuring their UK car in Spain, and if they can recommend any companies?

Thanks again,
Danny
Hmmm. How will you get it MOT'd every year?

I also think you will have a problem insuring it as most companies (ISTR) only like to insure foreign vehicles for a short period until they are matriculated onto Spanish plates.
Old May 21st 2015, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

I'm not too sure about the MOT. I do know that a lot of people keep their UK cars out their all year. Do they all have MOT's?

Thanks,
Danny
Old May 21st 2015, 1:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too sure about the MOT. I do know that a lot of people keep their UK cars out their all year. Do they all have MOT's?

Thanks,
Danny
No mot then they have broken the conditions of their insurance .
Ok until they have an accident.
Old May 21st 2015, 1:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Danny
That would be illegal!
Old May 21st 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
No mot then they have broken the conditions of their insurance .
Ok until they have an accident.
Help is needed please. Long story purchased new in France. Back to the UK then new headlights fog and rear lights plus new speedo. Passed MOT now on British plates but of course left hand drive. Have insurance in the UK and with their approval can keep it here until September.

Liberty Seguros will allow me to keep it in Spain for six months but of course shortly no MOT. Then option sell or get it on Spanish plates.

Do I please have to change everything once more and get an MOT at Ondara.
They obviously will not pass it in its existing condition for the headlights have deflectors. I want to be above the parapet and not drive illegally.

I suppose I could drive it back to the UK for an MOT and I think an exclusion is if I am driving to an MOT station. However that seems ridiculous.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:13 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The only legal option is to register it as a Spanish vehicle with all the changes required if you want to keep the vehicle.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
The only legal option is to register it as a Spanish vehicle with all the changes required if you want to keep the vehicle.
Just spoken to the very well known and respected broker here in Javea/Denia I can keep the vehicle here in Spain for six months and then as you say on Spanish plates or sell> I can keep it on UK plates but again no MOT.

So changes must take place and will now have those done next week. If the vehicle meets all the MOT requirements but is on UK plates will they issue a pass certificate please for it is left hand drive and headlights speedo fogs will comply with driving on the right hand side.

Sorry just do not know the system
Old May 21st 2015, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

What about insurers like Abbeygate or Ibex who state that they do not require a UK Mot in order to provide insurance
Old May 21st 2015, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

What about insurers like Abbeygate or Ibex who state that they do not require a UK Mot in order to provide insurance

Thanks do you have experience of these guys please just simply wish to do the right thing.
Old May 21st 2015, 2:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Danny
These are people who believe the laws in Spain do not apply to them, no they don't have MOTs and probably don't have insurance or tax either, as I say they think they are above the law. This works till it doesn't, and then it's likely to be somewhat expensive, and get the car crushed. No-one on here will recommend that you do anything that is illegal, so your only real choice is to make it legal.
Old May 21st 2015, 3:49 pm
EMR
Banned

They also say in their terms and conditions that the vehicle must conform to the rules of the country in which it is being driven.
Pick the bones out of that one.
Old May 21st 2015, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

What Ibex say is they do not need to see the MOT certificate.

They do not say that you don't need one
Old May 21st 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Help is needed please. Long story purchased new in France. Back to the UK then new headlights fog and rear lights plus new speedo. Passed MOT now on British plates but of course left hand drive. Have insurance in the UK and with their approval can keep it here until September.

Liberty Seguros will allow me to keep it in Spain for six months but of course shortly no MOT. Then option sell or get it on Spanish plates.

Do I please have to change everything once more and get an MOT at Ondara.
They obviously will not pass it in its existing condition for the headlights have deflectors. I want to be above the parapet and not drive illegally.

I suppose I could drive it back to the UK for an MOT and I think an exclusion is if I am driving to an MOT station. However that seems ridiculous.
Most expat brokers will insure a UK plated car or motorcycle with a 12 month green card, this covers you within the EU, it is normally with Liberty Seguros as the insurer, not having a current MOT or ITV need not necessarily mean you have no insurance, it will depend on the wording of the policy, you would of course have problems if the pre accident condition was deemed to be unroadworthy but you would also have problems if it had an MOT and was deemed unroadworthy pre accident, if you are a Spanish resident you will have to change to Spanish plates to remain legal
Old May 21st 2015, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
Most expat brokers will insure a UK plated car or motorcycle with a 12 month green card, this covers you within the EU, it is normally with Liberty Seguros as the insurer, not having a current MOT or ITV need not necessarily mean you have no insurance, it will depend on the wording of the policy, you would of course have problems if the pre accident condition was deemed to be unroadworthy but you would also have problems if it had an MOT and was deemed unroadworthy pre accident, if you are a Spanish resident you will have to change to Spanish plates to remain legal
In order to be legal in any EU country a vehicle MUST be street legal in its country of registration. Ie if a UK registration it must have current MoT, Tax and Insured - wherever it might be.
EU rules requires that an insurance policy (if you have one) may not be invalidated completely even if the vehicle is not legal - it will keep an absolute minimum insurance cover to cover any injury to 3rd parties. This, of course, will not cover anything else like damage, 3rd party costs, legal expenses etc etc, if you have an accident and could end up being a very expensive mistake.

This probably oversimplifies it but in essence if you don't keep it legal you will spend your time looking over your shoulder, looking for 4 leaf clovers, praying and hoping for the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.