Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car in Spain

UK car in Spain

Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:28 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Fred James
JDR, you keep quoting this 30 day rule but what evidence do you have to support it? I have searched long and hard and have failed to find any official info to support it.

As far as I am aware there has been no change to the rules that says you have 6 months from the date of becoming (or applying for) residency to reregister and I have recently had this confirmed by the EU legal department.

The 30 days certainly applies if you wish to avoid the reregistration tax of 7 or12%.

I have a suspicion that this 30 day rule is another urban myth (albeit a fairly recent one) and would appreciate any evidence to confirm it one way or the other.
The 30 day rule we were told applies after you get your padron. Once you have your padron stamped then you only have 30 days to re-register your car. You have to have your padron and NIE with you when you go to traffico. I don't think anyone really knows the exact procedure or the exact rules and regulations as they seem to vary from place to place, day to day
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a suspicion that this 30 day rule is another urban myth (albeit a fairly recent one) and would appreciate any evidence to confirm it one way or the other.
It stemmed from a report from someone who came here from the UK to live with a UK car, was stopped on a road check

http://www.expatfocus.com/your-car-i...n-spain-part-1
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know that. That was the link that JDR gave and to which I was referring.

So really all we have to go on to justify the 30 day rule is a report by an estate agent who writes an article for an expat site based on someone elses experiences with the Guardia.

I am not suggesting that the incident with the Guardia did not happen but we do not know the full facts and we all know that the Guardia make up the rules as they go along.

There are well documented cases of people still being fined for driving on a UK licence even though the law changed some time ago.

As I have said previously, I raised this exact question with the EU legal department and they said :-

"You must register your vehicle in Spain as soon as possible after arrival and, at any rate, within six months of moving."

(The question related to anyone moving here permanently)
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I have e-mailed the Spanish consulate place in London with a list of questions regarding the law and foreign registered cars in Spain.

They have e-mailed back to tell me that they will be in contact in the next couple of days, when I get something back, probably Monday all things considered I will post it on here and hopefully that will put some of the discussion to rest.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Right, I have e-mailed the Spanish consulate place in London with a list of questions regarding the law and foreign registered cars in Spain.

They have e-mailed back to tell me that they will be in contact in the next couple of days, when I get something back, probably Monday all things considered I will post it on here and hopefully that will put some of the discussion to rest.
Good man, ;-))
But don`t post it as an email, rule 5. ta
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:15 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Good man, ;-))
But don`t post it as an email, rule 5. ta
I will send it to you first, probably wont be too helpful as the law seems to be all over the place according to where you are, but it will show the official party line I guess.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I will send it to you first, probably wont be too helpful as the law seems to be all over the place according to where you are, but it will show the official party line I guess.
Ta, I will put it (you know where also ;-))
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a good idea.

I thought I might do similar and email the UK embassy in Madrid.

No chance - they don't do email questions! Probably too busy counting the piles of money from all these expensive passport renewals!

At least the EU got back to me within 24 hours - lets hope the Spanish embassy does the same and we at last get a definitive answer.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know that. That was the link that JDR gave and to which I was referring.

So really all we have to go on to justify the 30 day rule is a report by an estate agent who writes an article for an expat site based on someone elses experiences with the Guardia.

I am not suggesting that the incident with the Guardia did not happen but we do not know the full facts and we all know that the Guardia make up the rules as they go along.

There are well documented cases of people still being fined for driving on a UK licence even though the law changed some time ago.

As I have said previously, I raised this exact question with the EU legal department and they said :-

"You must register your vehicle in Spain as soon as possible after arrival and, at any rate, within six months of moving."

(The question related to anyone moving here permanently)

There is a satellite TV channel called Living in Spain, and they have a website. livinginspain.tv While i was in the Uk I found this channel. SKY 293, and they were doing a programme on buying and registering a car. Only caught the end, but they were just finishing off a section on registering a UK car.
They have a forum on this very topic and it can be found at.
http://www.livinginspain.tv/viewers/viewtopic.php?t=362

some of the contributors seem to also contribute here judging by names.
The channel website is.
http://www.livinginspain.tv
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:34 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please pm the e-mail address you used as I e-mailed the British Consulate and they haven't replied to me
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They have a forum on this very topic
Yes and the only reference to the 30 day rule is:-

"Apparently there has been a change in the law for UK reg. cars. "

It doesn't seem to add a lot to the search for the real situation and my guess is that it originated at the same place as all the others - the "article" in ExPat Focus.