Reload this Page >

UK car in Spain

UK car in Spain

Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:18 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes but if you stay for more than 90 days, you are deemed to be resident and then have 30 days to re-reg your vehicle.
So how does the six months work then ?
I'm not up on UK laws, but the last time I checked (when I had an Aussie gf) I'm sure it was six months they can stay here before they have to register as a resident. But that was some time ago now (gah getting old)
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
I'm not up on UK laws, but the last time I checked (when I had an Aussie gf) I'm sure it was six months they can stay here before they have to register as a resident. But that was some time ago now (gah getting old)
I am talking about Spain, its 90 days for residency and 180 days as far as I know for tax residency.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:25 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Well if you can't officially prove you have owned the vehicle for six months or more then what to you expect?

Anyone can make up a finance agreement in a word processor nower days, so you can see why they wouldn't take that as evidence.

Why don't/didn't you have the UK V5 registration document?
We did - but they were asking about tax paid on the purchase of the car and we didn't have a seperate tax bill, just the finance agreement which didn't show the tax paid! It was ridiculous really as it is obvious that the VAT would have been paid, it just wasn't listed on the finance agreement Maybe they do things differently in Spain but they weren't making any allowances!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:29 am
zel

Originally Posted by Lionda
We did - but they were asking about tax paid on the purchase of the car and we didn't have a seperate tax bill, just the finance agreement which didn't show the tax paid! It was ridiculous really as it is obvious that the VAT would have been paid, it just wasn't listed on the finance agreement Maybe they do things differently in Spain but they weren't making any allowances!
It sounds to me as though your local office were either misinformed, saw you coming, or the interpretor made a major balls up.

There are plenty of people, probably on here that have had their car so long they no longer have the bill of receipt that have not had to pay what you have.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:34 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
It sounds to me as though your local office were either misinformed, saw you coming, or the interpretor made a major balls up.

There are plenty of people, probably on here that have had their car so long they no longer have the bill of receipt that have not had to pay what you have.
It was traffico in Alicante. We are trying to find out why we had to pay the tax and if we can get a refund. I have sent an e-mail to the British Consul in Alicante but so far haven't received a reply.

Our interpretor told us they insisted that tax had to be paid!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point

All sounds a bit like the Portuguese decision to try and flout EEC maritime regulations and insist that longer term visitors list their vessels on their own register.
A famous BBC newsreader was allegedly recently boarded by Portuguese officials whilst visiting the country. he said (quite rightly) This is a British ship and British Goverment property so get off" They apologised (briefly) and left.

Asked to be Spanked and you will be. I reckon that if you have full UK compliance with MOT
, Insurance and possibly tax, then you should be in full compliance . If you are a registered resident thn I expect it would be different perhaps.

PB
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

Not in Spain I'm afraid ... if you come here to live afaik you need to do it in 30days, as with the car

Cars are being seized and fines handed out already ... dont know about Portugal but I wouldn't think they'd miss out on an opportunity either!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:34 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry only just caught up with this thread. To avoid paying "import duty" you need a "Baja de residencia" from the consulate. The consulate in Malaga are well up on this

Dave FIsher
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:52 am
zel

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not in Spain I'm afraid ... if you come here to live afaik you need to do it in 30days, as with the car

Cars are being seized and fines handed out already ... dont know about Portugal but I wouldn't think they'd miss out on an opportunity either!
Yep, I thought JDR was asking the laws in the UK, not Spain, all got a touch confusing!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
all got a touch confusing!
It always does
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Yep, I thought JDR was asking the laws in the UK, not Spain, all got a touch confusing!
Sorry about that. ;-)
We get people that think they can live in Spain and drive their cars with UK plates, Spanish ITV and Spanish insurance without re-reg the car.
but as soon as they are here for 91 days the car then becomes illegal, unless they are in the process of matriculating it.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But you are resident after 90 days ?, so then you are allowed 30 days to re-reg .
So really no foreign car should be in Spain for more than 120 days.
JDR, you keep quoting this 30 day rule but what evidence do you have to support it? I have searched long and hard and have failed to find any official info to support it.

As far as I am aware there has been no change to the rules that says you have 6 months from the date of becoming (or applying for) residency to reregister and I have recently had this confirmed by the EU legal department.

The 30 days certainly applies if you wish to avoid the reregistration tax of 7 or12%.

I have a suspicion that this 30 day rule is another urban myth (albeit a fairly recent one) and would appreciate any evidence to confirm it one way or the other.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
JDR, you keep quoting this 30 day rule but what evidence do you have to support it? I have searched long and hard and have failed to find any official info to support it.

As far as I am aware there has been no change to the rules that says you have 6 months from the date of becoming (or applying for) residency to reregister and I have recently had this confirmed by the EU legal department.

The 30 days certainly applies if you wish to avoid the reregistration tax of 7 or12%.

I have a suspicion that this 30 day rule is another urban myth (albeit a fairly recent one) and would appreciate any evidence to confirm it one way or the other.
It was two stories off a link on a post by Mitzy HERE a while ago, 3rd and 9th paragraphs.
There was somewhere else also, but can`t remember at the mo.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that JDR.

I have read the whole piece and it is just based on third party stories with no backup for this "new law" that he quotes.

It is also contains a few other inaccuracies.

"The new law states that, if you are in Spain for longer than 6 months with your car, you are considered by law to be a Resident for the purposes of the Spanish Police Departmento Traffico."

What exactly does that mean? The new law, as we all now know, is 90 days - does he think it is extended to 6 months if you have a car?

Oh yes, and he is an estate agent! Need I say more.

I am going to put it down as an urban myth - unless anyone knows better?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

That is the problem Fred, there is nowhere where you can really check it out.
It would be handy if the Embassy had something about what is required on taking your vehicle and using it in Spain etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.