Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car in Spain

UK car in Spain

Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:42 am
Just Joined

PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

OK, that sounds acceptable, but what if you are in Portugal for 6months, then go to Spain. Surely the Spanish can't say well if you have been out of the UK for 6 months then you can't come into Spain. ?
PB
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Your car needs to be COMPLETELY legal in the country it is registered in (the UK)

So it will need valid Mot, Road Tax and Insurance.

It's also not as simple as going over the border and back in to roll over the six month period, if stopped the local police will want documented evidence of when the car last left the UK (ie a Ferry or Tunnel ticket)
This is where the confusion always is raised ... if hes living in Spain, Portugal, whatever the 6 month rule doesn't apply does it. Hes no longer resident in the UK and therefore should re register ?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
This is where the confusion always is raised ... if hes living in Spain, Portugal, whatever the 6 month rule doesn't apply does it. Hes no longer resident in the UK and therefore should re register ?
But you are resident after 90 days ?, so then you are allowed 30 days to re-reg .
So really no foreign car should be in Spain for more than 120 days.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But you are resident after 90 days ?, so then you are allowed 30 days to re-reg .
So really no foreign car should be in Spain for more than 120 days.
Yes, but what he seems to be suggesting (unless I'm being thick) is that he continuously goes back to the UK to re mot and keep it permanently on UK plates
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but what he seems to be suggesting (unless I'm being thick) is that he continuously goes back to the UK to re mot and keep it permanently on UK plates
So its an illegal car if he`s here for more than 120 days, as I see it. ;-))
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:42 am
Just Joined

PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: UK car in Spain

Why re-register?? you might return to the UK where you are domiciled by air for a business meeting say, that doesn't mean you have to be de-registered.

I reckon the thinnest book in the world will be the book of foreigners registering their cars as UK vehicles if it isn't in their financial interest to so do.

I'm going to get on my hobby horse now.

The Portuguese, Spanish et al, want their EEC cake and eat it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the EEC supposed to be about a unified Europe, The United States of Europe??

All this registration business is a complete nonsense of course and has more to do with revenue extraction from Joe Motorist that anything else other than Archaic practises.

My view is that the UK seems very happy to accept EEC regulations on this and that , but allows sand to get kicked in her face over numerous other issues.

So OK, I pay my UK insurance. (Like my Boat), Officials in all these EEC countries have to accept it. Like it or not.

So I pay my UK car Tax and get a UK MOT. (There should be facilities for these to be issued by our mechanics in Spain, just like here)
Then Officialdom and Peak capped mentality, from EEC partners should not be tolerated. ie. you run a kosher UK car, so what how long it stays in Spain/France/Portugal or wherever, should not matter.
Sure I agree that they want to protect their citizens from un-roadworthy vehicles, but I'm not impressed by the attitude of control that is (relatively) easy to impose on Motorists.

Just to illustrate the point, I received an email this week to advise me that the Portuguese have posted notice, that any Yacht resident in Portugal for more than 183 days a year (as most foreign Yachts are) must adopt Portuguese Registration (and most likely, subsequent luxury taxation + vat @ 21% methinks)
Naturally, this contravenes EEC regulations but might not stop them from enforcing it.

Standby to repel boarders!!!

PB
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:47 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, if he is no longer a resident of the UK then he will have to register the vehicle in whatever country he 'officially' lives in.

One has to officially reside in one country for taxation purposes so that's the country his car should be registered in.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:49 am
zel

Originally Posted by PirateBarnabus
OK, that sounds acceptable, but what if you are in Portugal for 6months, then go to Spain. Surely the Spanish can't say well if you have been out of the UK for 6 months then you can't come into Spain. ?
PB
What is right in terms of EU law and what the Spanish gov/police do are two entirely different things I'm afraid. You will be up the creek if you are stopped by the Spanish plod and can't prove your vehicle has not been back to its registered country within the last whatever months the current Spanish law says. Wrong I know, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And if you don't like it, I suggest you give both Spain and Portugal a miss as they're both much of the same in terms of ignoring EU 'laws' in favour of a more profitable scheme.

Last edited by zel; Jul 26th 2007 at 7:54 am.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:56 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing, we had to pay import tax on our car, we have owned it for over 5 years and have been in Spain for almost 3 months, we re-registered before our padron was 30 days old and were told there would be no tax to pay. But there was
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Its the residency rules for foreigners that kick in to change your motoring regulations.
How long would a Spaniard be allowed to run his car in UK ?
Thats a great idea to have Spanish, Dutch, German etc MOT stations so they can test their cars and buy their foreign insurance and foriegn road tax in the UK. lol

You only have to look at the USA, every state in it has its own rules and regs.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:00 am
zel

Originally Posted by Lionda
One other thing, we had to pay import tax on our car, we have owned it for over 5 years and have been in Spain for almost 3 months, we re-registered before our padron was 30 days old and were told there would be no tax to pay. But there was
Then I would be questioning why..

If you're within all the correct timeframes the only reason you would be charged is if the car never had its VAT paid on it in the first place (back in the UK)
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:02 am
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
How long would a Spaniard be allowed to run his car in UK ?
If your car is legal in its member state then you can keep your vehicle in the UK for upto six months at a time.

This is the proper EU law and is adopted by most of the member states in Western Europe.

It's also worth noting that most of W.Europe obeys by the no import tax too (with exception of the Netherlands as they have luxury car tax)

Last edited by zel; Jul 26th 2007 at 8:04 am.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:07 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Then I would be questioning why..

If you're within all the correct timeframes the only reason you would be charged is if the car never had its VAT paid on it in the first place (back in the UK)
The only paperwork we could show them was the finance agreement. As they spoke to us in Spanish and we had an interpretator with us she could only tell us what they said in traffico and we couldn't argue the case
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:11 am
zel

Originally Posted by Lionda
The only paperwork we could show them was the finance agreement. As they spoke to us in Spanish and we had an interpretator with us she could only tell us what they said in traffico and we couldn't argue the case
Well if you can't officially prove you have owned the vehicle for six months or more then what to you expect?

Anyone can make up a finance agreement in a word processor nower days, so you can see why they wouldn't take that as evidence.

Why don't/didn't you have the UK V5 registration document?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by zel
If your car is legal in its member state then you can keep your vehicle in the UK for upto six months at a time.

This is the proper EU law and is adopted by most of the member states in Western Europe.

It's also worth noting that most of W.Europe obeys by the no import tax too (with exception of the Netherlands as they have luxury car tax)
Yes but if you stay for more than 90 days, you are deemed to be resident and then have 30 days to re-reg your vehicle.
So how does the six months work then ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.