Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car in Spain

UK car in Spain

Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:06 am
  #61  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by CliffG
Same, the only reason i bought a brand new car was because i was going to keep it for 6 years or so . Guess that plan is out the window. Actually, i get 3 years without having to renew MOT so will be ok for a bit.
If you are moving over here and plan to keep the car here for longer than 6 months out of every 12 then it needs to be on Spanish plates, do a search for the info on this part of the forum, you will find pages of info.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:55 am
  #62  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Just to add to the above ;

You can't just take it over the border and bring it back, the vehicle needs to go back to UK and then back to Spain as if stopped they will ask for a copy of your Ferry/Tunnel ticket as evidence of how long the vehicle has been in the country.

Also, Registering a RHD UK car in Spain is more hassle than registering a LHD UK one.
zel is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:00 am
  #63  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi Lionda


Do you know if it is expensive to re-register your car?
xx
Please excuse me butting in, but the name rings a bell for some reason

I seem to remember you had an out of EU import Toyota Vigo/Hilux?

If this is the case I would definitely suggest you get it registered by a professional as it's far more complicated importing a non EU type approval vehicle.

Mitzyboy has the details of someone who could help.
zel is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:25 am
  #64  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by zel
Please excuse me butting in, but the name rings a bell for some reason

I seem to remember you had an out of EU import Toyota Vigo/Hilux?

If this is the case I would definitely suggest you get it registered by a professional as it's far more complicated importing a non EU type approval vehicle.

Mitzyboy has the details of someone who could help.
I think she sold that one, it was a no go rhd L 200 pickup.
jdr is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:07 am
  #65  
BE Forum Addict
 
Miss Naughty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: lincoln
Posts: 1,871
Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by zel
Please excuse me butting in, but the name rings a bell for some reason

I seem to remember you had an out of EU import Toyota Vigo/Hilux?

If this is the case I would definitely suggest you get it registered by a professional as it's far more complicated importing a non EU type approval vehicle.

Mitzyboy has the details of someone who could help.
Hi
I had that and sold it and bought a jeep (wont go in to that heap of shi*)

I have a saab convertiable now and dont want to get rid of it.

xx
Miss Naughty is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:10 am
  #66  
BE Forum Addict
 
Miss Naughty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: lincoln
Posts: 1,871
Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Lionda
Yes it is quite expensive, we paid 90 euros for the ITV plus 98 euros for the inspection (they measure the car amongst other things and make out a special report) this is done at the same time as the ITV. The ITV lasts for 2 years, the cost of changing the lights varies according to the model of the car, ours cost about 185 euros for each light then there was the garage charge on top. Car tax is cheaper , we paid 25 euros for 6 months to take us to the end of the year. You are given a number and have to get the plates made up, ours cost 18 euros and they were done in 15 mins.
Thought you was going to say thousands then
Get hubby to change lights so should be cheaper.
Thanks for that
Miss Naughty is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:52 am
  #67  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by zel
Please excuse me butting in, but the name rings a bell for some reason

I seem to remember you had an out of EU import Toyota Vigo/Hilux?

If this is the case I would definitely suggest you get it registered by a professional as it's far more complicated importing a non EU type approval vehicle.

Mitzyboy has the details of someone who could help.
I do have details ....... honestly, registering a RHD "grey" import was no hassle at all
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:43 am
  #68  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Costa del Sol
Posts: 6
Goodhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by gallerie9
but do you to live here
Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm navigating my way around this site & have only just found them!
Recognise that I have been naiive. But because the car had a new IVA here & the insurance company said there wasn't a problem insuring a UK reg. car
here.......I didn't think any further.
I do wonder how the previous owners got the IVA though? Don't they just
test the car regardless of where it's from?
I have all the original purchase & registration paperwork etc.
No, I don't live here permanently but would like to spend more time here.
I hired cars for the 1st year & have now stopped using my new one until I sort things out.
As I have most docs. already I'll check out the costs of registering it here
& if it's too expensive I'll ship it back to the UK, sell it there & by a Spanish registered car. A lot simpler!
Goodhead is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:00 am
  #69  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Goodhead
Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm navigating my way around this site & have only just found them!
Recognise that I have been naiive. But because the car had a new IVA here & the insurance company said there wasn't a problem insuring a UK reg. car
here.......I didn't think any further.
I do wonder how the previous owners got the IVA though? Don't they just
test the car regardless of where it's from?
I have all the original purchase & registration paperwork etc.
No, I don't live here permanently but would like to spend more time here.
I hired cars for the 1st year & have now stopped using my new one until I sort things out.
As I have most docs. already I'll check out the costs of registering it here
& if it's too expensive I'll ship it back to the UK, sell it there & by a Spanish registered car. A lot simpler!
The ITV centre will issue a certificate on any car, even a UK plated one. Doesn't really mean anything legally though, it just means its roadworthy
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:01 am
  #70  
Popping in for a chat
 
Lionda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Back home
Posts: 4,573
Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Goodhead
Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm navigating my way around this site & have only just found them!
Recognise that I have been naiive. But because the car had a new IVA here & the insurance company said there wasn't a problem insuring a UK reg. car
here.......I didn't think any further.
I do wonder how the previous owners got the IVA though? Don't they just
test the car regardless of where it's from?
I have all the original purchase & registration paperwork etc.
No, I don't live here permanently but would like to spend more time here.
I hired cars for the 1st year & have now stopped using my new one until I sort things out.
As I have most docs. already I'll check out the costs of registering it here
& if it's too expensive I'll ship it back to the UK, sell it there & by a Spanish registered car. A lot simpler!
Just been discussing this with hubby and he reminded me that we got the ITV after we had the lights changed, then we went to traffico in Alicante to do the re-registration, this is where they give you your new number and your new registration documents. They give you a form with your new number on so that you can get the number plates made up. All documents have to be kept with the car so you should have these, if not then the car isn't legal. We also had to go to the Sumo to register the car for road tax, then to the bank to pay the tax. Hope this helps.
Lionda is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:24 am
  #71  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by Goodhead
Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm navigating my way around this site & have only just found them!
Recognise that I have been naiive. But because the car had a new IVA here & the insurance company said there wasn't a problem insuring a UK reg. car
here.......I didn't think any further.
I do wonder how the previous owners got the IVA though? Don't they just
test the car regardless of where it's from?
I have all the original purchase & registration paperwork etc.
No, I don't live here permanently but would like to spend more time here.
I hired cars for the 1st year & have now stopped using my new one until I sort things out.
As I have most docs. already I'll check out the costs of registering it here
& if it's too expensive I'll ship it back to the UK, sell it there & by a Spanish registered car. A lot simpler!
They will ITV anything as to them it's money and they probably assumed it was for the registration process.

Secondly

"the insurance company said there wasn't a problem insuring a UK reg. car here"

Your car is NOT UK regged, it's classed as unregistered (no registration in any country) so it would be illegal for the company involved to insure it, as they would insure it on the now expired UK registration plate.

The only way you can legally insure a unregistered car is by insuring it on its VIN number (Chassis number)

Hope this helps.
zel is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:19 am
  #72  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: UK car in Spain

http://www.emodifiedcarinsurance.co.uk/helpdesk.php

Their FAQ states the following:

Q: Am I covered to drive abroad?

A: We allow unlimited foreign use in EU countries and a few others.


You have the same cover in all the countries listed in the Territorial limits that you do at home.
For example, if you have comprehensive cover in the UK you will have comprehensive cover in the EU.

Anyone got any thoughts on this??

PB
PirateBarnabus is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:20 am
  #73  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

If your car is legal in the UK (i.e. has up to date mot/tax) and you have it in writing, and keep to their t&c I can't see a problem.

If that's what you're asking?

But remember, you can not keep your UK reg car in Spain for longer than six months at a time.

My main concern is the quality of the company or product as it doesn't promote confidence when they quote "and a few others" what few others? all sounds very ametuerish to me.

Originally Posted by PirateBarnabus
http://www.emodifiedcarinsurance.co.uk/helpdesk.php

Their FAQ states the following:

Q: Am I covered to drive abroad?

A: We allow unlimited foreign use in EU countries and a few others.


You have the same cover in all the countries listed in the Territorial limits that you do at home.
For example, if you have comprehensive cover in the UK you will have comprehensive cover in the EU.

Anyone got any thoughts on this??

PB

Last edited by zel; Jul 26th 2007 at 6:23 am.
zel is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:34 am
  #74  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Thanks for your reply.
I have a boat on the Spanish Portuguese border. I have just driven there and Back spending 2 months dodging the rain here. (wish I'd stayed)
I am planning to change insurers so that I can stay as long as I like.
I don't mind returning to the UK by road once a year for an MOT because I need to bring out heavy stuff for the boat now and then.
If I need a British MOT to keep the Spanish and Portuguese happy, do i need to have UK road tax as well? I reckon that cost in tolls was about 110 euros driving down there (albeit mainly the French) so I would be happy if I could dodge the UK road tax as that isnt an insurance issue.

The plan would be to move the car from one side of the river to the other if I get any interest from the authorities. People over there that have had problems seem to be the ones that have no MOT from UK and therefore need an address for spain or portugal. incidentaly, there was a guy advertising UK mot's for sale in the English newspaper on the Algarve, I don't know if he's DOT approved or not, but with a name like mine, who cares!

yours
PB
PirateBarnabus is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:37 am
  #75  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by PirateBarnabus
Thanks for your reply.
I have a boat on the Spanish Portuguese border. I have just driven there and Back spending 2 months dodging the rain here. (wish I'd stayed)
I am planning to change insurers so that I can stay as long as I like.
I don't mind returning to the UK by road once a year for an MOT because I need to bring out heavy stuff for the boat now and then.
If I need a British MOT to keep the Spanish and Portuguese happy, do i need to have UK road tax as well? I reckon that cost in tolls was about 110 euros driving down there (albeit mainly the French) so I would be happy if I could dodge the UK road tax as that isnt an insurance issue.

The plan would be to move the car from one side of the river to the other if I get any interest from the authorities. People over there that have had problems seem to be the ones that have no MOT from UK and therefore need an address for spain or portugal. incidentaly, there was a guy advertising UK mot's for sale in the English newspaper on the Algarve, I don't know if he's DOT approved or not, but with a name like mine, who cares!

yours
PB
Your car needs to be COMPLETELY legal in the country it is registered in (the UK)

So it will need valid Mot, Road Tax and Insurance.

It's also not as simple as going over the border and back in to roll over the six month period, if stopped the local police will want documented evidence of when the car last left the UK (ie a Ferry or Tunnel ticket)
zel is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.