Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car in Spain

UK car in Spain

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:08 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Spain

Originally Posted by zel
What Jon and yourself do in private is none of my business mate!
Listen if you want to join in with your Catwoman suite then just ask OK.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Drive around with no tax and you can have your car taken off you and crushed in England
Drive around endlessly with no MOT and its illegal

Andy, its immaterial I guess ... the car is in Spain on UK plates and thats the problem ... we have this question so many times and it just doesn't seem to sink in

UK plated car belonging to resident in Spain with no MOT = Fine and car taken away if caught ... its already happening in Spain
Mitzy Yes Thanks, I just pointing out in the Uk the status, I have had many problem in my job with Police, Court's ect, and therefore I know what is what, yes they are taking cars in the Uk aswell, but at discretion. Mainly for no insurance but they say for no tax aswell. Again down to discretion of the officer.

Your last sentance, It worries me about bringing a Car to Spain from the Uk. Im thinking of buying a L/H Drive German car, For ease and price of buying here and it would be a lot easier to pass Spanish Vosa type test's

Also I dont think many Spainsih Guardia Speak German, so you are unlikely to be pulled up or am I being Naive here ?

I have yet to have a Vehicle taken off me, but I will be suing the Police / VOSA if they do
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Mitzy Yes Thanks, I just pointing out in the Uk the status, I have had many problem in my job with Police, Court's ect, and therefore I know what is what, yes they are taking cars in the Uk aswell, but at discretion. Mainly for no insurance but they say for no tax aswell. Again down to discretion of the officer.

Your last sentance, It worries me about bringing a Car to Spain from the Uk. Im thinking of buying a L/H Drive German car, For ease and price of buying here and it would be a lot easier to pass Spanish Vosa type test's

Also I dont think many Spainsih Guardia Speak German, so you are unlikely to be pulled up or am I being Naive here ?

I have yet to have a Vehicle taken off me, but I will be suing the Police / VOSA if they do
Your being very naive, you have obviously never met a Guardia officer.
The only language they have to speak is Spanish.
You have to speak Spanish back to them, if they don`t understand you then expect your car to be impounded till all the relevent paperwork is produced, and if you do not have it with you at the time expect a fine also, and maybe a few days holiday at Alhaurin if you have no ID.

Last edited by jdr; Jul 23rd 2007 at 7:46 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Err yes mate, my last sentance was fact .... and they don't care if they dont speak english or they don't speak German, they will regard that totally as your problem not theirs. Being stopped over here aint quite the same as being stopped in the UK.

Geman reg, english reg, dutch reg it matters not ... if you come to Spain as a resident and you leave it on the plates then you risk losing a lot. Plus, under certain circumstances you will be uninsured also.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

No I havent, and I appreciate the advice, I just recall seeing similar information on another forum to say it's ok.

The thing is as I said before im coming to Spain on a limited budget, my current car is not worth any money really so that means selling it here and buying a spainsh one, to be honest unless I git fined in spain I would ratehr takethe chance of bringing a UK one over and having it snatched as I wouldnt lose anything.

However I cant be dealing with the hassle of changing all the parts for use in spain so thought best to buy the cheapest LHD in my budget I could get.

I could really go and buy a brand new Seat Leon on arrival to Spain but it would take all my budget, I need to invest my money for my business to stay there. I buy and sell cars on the side here, In spain this will not be able to be done from day one, and I dont want to have to spend big money on a old banger out there when I can just bring one from here
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Your being very naive, you have obviously never met a Guardia officer.
Couldn't agree more, they don't give a crap who they stop.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Mitzy, I dont know what I should do, maybe not the thread to ask, but I guess I want to Stay in Spain, but im not sure what to do about the residenci status, but I feel I should be applying for Residencia. My friend said not to at the start incase it all goes wrong ???

Thanks for the advice regarding Guardia, I will think on certainly now
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Err yes mate, my last sentance was fact .... and they don't care if they dont speak english or they don't speak German, they will regard that totally as your problem not theirs. Being stopped over here aint quite the same as being stopped in the UK.

Geman reg, english reg, dutch reg it matters not ... if you come to Spain as a resident and you leave it on the plates then you risk losing a lot. Plus, under certain circumstances you will be uninsured also.
Pay attention to Zels post, he is the main man on this subject. ;-))
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy, I dont know what I should do, maybe not the thread to ask, but I guess I want to Stay in Spain, but im not sure what to do about the residenci status, but I feel I should be applying for Residencia. My friend said not to at the start incase it all goes wrong ???

Thanks for the advice regarding Guardia, I will think on certainly now
I'm afraid you have no choice but to apply for a residence certificate when you arrive here to live. Its doesn't mean you HAVE to stay here though, and it costs about 6 euros so it won't break your budget
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:51 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Pay attention to Zels post, he is the main man on this subject. ;-))

You saying I don't know what I'm talking about .... dya wanna fight
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:52 am
Straw Man.

You saying I don't know what I'm talking about .... dya wanna fight
He has a point mate!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

My friends in Spain, they only ever drive from there home to the local shops, so I guess they never see teh Guardia, but for me I will be doing a lot of driving over the Alicante and Murcia regions, and possibly If I get a Van a monthly trip to Madrid in connection with my work.

Im glad ive read this forum for the info Ive picked up tonight, even if ive sounded a little bigheaded its not the way I mean to be

Thanks Guy's
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:54 am
Straw Man.

Can I just say for the record that I absolutely love the OP's username, and I think I may have been looking for you all my life!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:55 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
He has a point mate!
I thought we said we were going to support each other after the lycra episode?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:56 am
Straw Man.

I thought we said we were going to support each other after the lycra episode?
sorry mate, old habits die hard and all that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.