Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

I thought that the idea of this forum was to help people with correct information i.e. legally correct information? Not to advocate breaking the law. Yes a person can weigh up the pros and cons of doing whatever even breaking the law but that is a decision for the individual, if they get caught on dear no one to blame but themselves. Using a SORN on a UK registered vehicle not in the UK is not legal fact. Taking a vehicle out of UK for over 12 months then it should be exported. Less than 12 months and it need not be exported but must comply with UK road traffic regulations tax insurance MOT etc. Then of course as has been mentioned bringing car to Spain then you should comply with Spanish matriculation law. That's it do it legally no worries but yes it may cost you money. Do it the illegal way you may save the cost of matriculating but will be worried every time you see a Guardia/police car behind you or routine police check point we often see, you may end up fined and having your car crushed. You may drive for 20 or 30 years without incident or accident that doesn't mean it will never happen that's why they are called accidents. If you have an accident and kill or maim someone while driving an illegal car in Spain, good luck with that in the Spanish court!

​​​​​​​
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not really, the car is routinely kept in Spain and should have been matriculated a long time ago, strictly it WILL be illegal in Spain
I am not actually in Spain, but the way I understand it if I spend less than 6 months in an EU country I can drive a vehicle with foreign plates. If anyone knows differently I would be happy to read an official document.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
I am not actually in Spain, but the way I understand it if I spend less than 6 months in an EU country I can drive a vehicle with foreign plates. If anyone knows differently I would be happy to read an official document.
So long as it has valid tax and MOT. Once its MOT expires then it’s as illegal to drive abroad as it would be in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't what you guys are talking about putting a SORN is illegal, if it is not taxed it is ellegal anyway and at least you won't get letters from the UK putting a SORN on it. Just don't drive it.

The tax ran out on my van this year as did MOT, while I was away, I had it checked out here, booked an MOT in the UK and drove it back. Stricly speaking it was probably not legal until I reached Dover, but who would know..unless I had an accident? Besides I had little choice, other than trailer it, it's done now anyway........

The Spanish traffic police now have access to the UK DVLA database via their ipads/phones to check the MOT, Insurance & tax status of any UK registered vehicle. Our local police are currently having a clamp down on UK registered cars. Having no MOT invalidates any insurance, so the financial risk alone would dissuade most normal people.

To the O/P, I wouldn't risk it. Notify the DVLA that the vehicle is scrapped and see if you can get a breaker to collect it.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
So long as it has valid tax and MOT. Once its MOT expires then it’s as illegal to drive abroad as it would be in the UK.
Transporting my vehicle back to the UK would have cost £thousands, so the extremely low risk was worth it.

The vehicle is kep down here, but ext year when I go back I will be fully legal..

Technically, as far as I know, a Spanish resident can not drive a foreign plated vehicle for more than 90 days that they have in their own name or that of a close relative... its one of those .. grey areas.

But then.. you´d have to be a resident... and while you might not be, if the police see you around for a while, or taking the kids to school.. they will still impound it... you can tell them till you are blue in the face that "i dont live here im just on holiday".. but they dont care

Transporting a vehicle from the costa del sol (further south than you) costs 600 pounds. But then, it would still be technically illegal to drive it in outside the UK after 90 days.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Aug 15th 2018 at 8:44 am.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where this 90 day rule comes from? As far as I'm aware it is 6 months in 12 that non residents can use a UK registered vehicle in Spain (ties in with residency rule). Here's some basic info

​​​​​​​https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...-car-in-spain/
Old Aug 15th 2018, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I'm not sure where this 90 day rule comes from? As far as I'm aware it is 6 months in 12 that non residents can use a UK registered vehicle in Spain (ties in with residency rule). Here's some basic info

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...-car-in-spain/
You are talking about non-residents, I am not.

here is the very first line of the webpage that you posted.

Originally Posted by citizensadvicewebpage
This depends on the status of the driver. If the car is brought to Spain by a person who intends to stay here as resident, and wants to import the vehicle as part of his household goods (to avoid import taxes), they have to change plates within 60 days of registering as resident in Spain.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Aug 15th 2018 at 9:03 am.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 9:16 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is always confusion over this issue. If you become resident in Spain and have a UK car, you have to register it within 6 months of becoming resident. However, if you wish to avoid the registration tax, you must register it within 60 days of becoming resident.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...d/index_en.htm
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The link gives information for resident and non resident. 90 days is still not mentioned either?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also interesting given that so much information has been provided on this post that there has been no response from the OP? Do we know if they are in fact resident or non resident?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:16 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is always confusion over this issue. If you become resident in Spain and have a UK car, you have to register it within 6 months of becoming resident. However, if you wish to avoid the registration tax, you must register it within 60 days of becoming resident.

I disagree with this article. I used to think you could keep a UK plated vehicle in Spain for 12 months (provided it had tax, MOT and insurance of course) but I was told otherwise.

This article is very helpful

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...-car-in-spain/
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that's the link I put on
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I disagree with this article.
It was updated less than a month ago.

If you think the EU have got it wrong, perhaps you should get in touch with them.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James

From the horses mouth so to Speak Fred, a very good link
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shredder99
The car is registered as SORN with DVLA and the mot has expired. We are moving up to northern Spain and have no log book (this is now en route to DVLA for change of name as the person was going to take it back to UK to mot. They cannot now do this). Can anyone offer any advice as to what we can do with the car as we move on Tuesday, car has little financial value.

If you dont want the car.. leave it where it is. Its the "new owners" problem now. It will no longer be in your name.

If you want to keep it, it would be illegal to drive it, so if you get stopped you would be in a whole world of trouble - and its not in your name, and you dont have paperwork. Did you take a photocopy of the log book showing your name? Will the "new owner" report it stolen?

If its a cheap banger.. leave it there. Make sure to tell a few neibours that you have "sold" it and it will be collected in a couple of days or so, then if anyone comes knocking, they will tell them that.

The "right" thing to do would be to weigh it in, you should be able to call a scrap yard and they will collect it, but without paperwork you need to know the right people...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.