Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Shredder99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

The car is registered as SORN with DVLA and the mot has expired. We are moving up to northern Spain and have no log book (this is now en route to DVLA for change of name as the person was going to take it back to UK to mot. They cannot now do this). Can anyone offer any advice as to what we can do with the car as we move on Tuesday, car has little financial value.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

Give it to a local scrapyard/garage.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 11:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car advice please. Our UK registered car is declared as SORN and is in Spain.

That’s now the problem of whoever’s name is going on the V5.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Driving a UK car with a SORN in Spain is illegal under UK and Spanish law.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:43 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shredder99
The car is registered as SORN with DVLA and the mot has expired. We are moving up to northern Spain and have no log book (this is now en route to DVLA for change of name as the person was going to take it back to UK to mot. They cannot now do this). Can anyone offer any advice as to what we can do with the car as we move on Tuesday, car has little financial value.
Why do people WRONGLY put cars on SORN and then bring them to Spain - quite illegal.

SORN means that it is not allowed on the roads in ANY country - you are breaking the law!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why do people WRONGLY put cars on SORN and then bring them to Spain - quite illegal.
Because it (illegally) avoids paying UK road tax!

Send it to a crusher!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 5:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

To answer the OP post first - quite simply you can move it on the back of a trailer or get the Grua to move it for you. If you had wanted to change the number plates to Spanish then you would have to take it to the ITV station the same way.

Why do people SORN a car when moving to Spain - probably because they don't know better - and probably do not realise it is illegal - I've met many people that on arriving in Spain want to register their SORN car they drove from the UK to Spain. Nowadays with the internet available to all - it shouldn't happen but it does crop up from time to time

Davexf
Old Aug 13th 2018, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the car transported back to the UK the person or company take it back on a trailer or transporter will want a copy of your details and a registration document in the same name to show customs if required,

Therefore you would need the V5 back in your name before it can be returned, that's your only legal way of getting it back, if you dont want it then get it scraped in Spain and tell the DVLA
Old Aug 13th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Scrap it in Spain, when the V5 gets to the other person, they should fill in and return the scrapped section etc etc. Some people dig big holes for them selves sometimes...........
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Scrap it in Spain, when the V5 gets to the other person, they should fill in and return the scrapped section etc etc. Some people dig big holes for them selves sometimes...........
The problem might be the fact that many scar yards will not deal with non Spanish cars that are/were not legal in Spain, it's the same trying to scrap a not matriculated Spanish car in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

I don't what you guys are talking about putting a SORN is illegal, if it is not taxed it is ellegal anyway and at least you won't get letters from the UK putting a SORN on it. Just don't drive it.

The tax ran out on my van this year as did MOT, while I was away, I had it checked out here, booked an MOT in the UK and drove it back. Stricly speaking it was probably not legal until I reached Dover, but who would know..unless I had an accident? Besides I had little choice, other than trailer it, it's done now anyway.

Now I have a Vauxhall Corsa I used for a cheapo rally, it is MOTd until 2019, but not worth driving back, I shall try to sell it to a Brit who wants a cheap good car CTDI to drive back, if not will break it, the engine and box are worth the £500 I paid.

You should take yours to the scrapyard they may give you a few bob.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB

The tax ran out on my van this year as did MOT, while I was away, I had it checked out here, booked an MOT in the UK and drove it back. Stricly speaking it was probably not legal until I reached Dover, but who would know..unless I had an accident? Besides I had little choice, other than trailer it, it's done now anyway.
It wasn't legal to drive it back and yes you would only be caught if you had an accident, was stoped or by an ANPR camera
Old Aug 14th 2018, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
It wasn't legal to drive it back and yes you would only be caught if you had an accident, was stoped or by an ANPR camera
We way up the risks in life. I drove on Autoroutes the whole way and haven't had an accident in 20 years. I drive at a steady inconspicuous speed in a roadworthy looking vehcle, with no tax disc and with my insurance document to hand. I doubt very much whether the ANPR cameras would pick up my MOT status, they don't in the UK on foreign vehcles. Before leaving I had everything checked, faults recified and it sailed the MOT, plus I always carry all the shit they demand in France.

Transporting my vehicle back to the UK would have cost £thousands, so the extremely low risk was worth it.

The vehicle is kep down here, but ext year when I go back I will be fully legal..

The Corsa I have here too has a SORN on it and is kept in my driveway, so is perfectly legal and if I manage to sell it to a Brit he can get tax and insurance online and drive it back legally.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 7:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We way up the risks in life. I drove on Autoroutes the whole way and haven't had an accident in 20 years. I drive at a steady inconspicuous speed in a roadworthy looking vehcle, with no tax disc and with my insurance document to hand. I doubt very much whether the ANPR cameras would pick up my MOT status, they don't in the UK on foreign vehcles. Before leaving I had everything checked, faults recified and it sailed the MOT, plus I always carry all the shit they demand in France.

Transporting my vehicle back to the UK would have cost £thousands, so the extremely low risk was worth it.

The vehicle is kep down here, but ext year when I go back I will be fully legal..

The Corsa I have here too has a SORN on it and is kept in my driveway, so is perfectly legal and if I manage to sell it to a Brit he can get tax and insurance online and drive it back legally.
Not really, the car is routinely kept in Spain and should have been matriculated a long time ago, strictly it WILL be illegal in Spain
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:35 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
Actually NO - there is no such thing as "off road" in Spain. If a passing Guardia decided to check, you could still be prosecuted. There was a method of having a car sealed by the Guardia but I have no idea whether this facility still exists.

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.