Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Dec 19th 2022, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Is it posted there? Could you show me a link where you found it?
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...idencecriteria

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/acc...-2021-22-faqs/

https://assets.publishing.service.go...demic_year.pdf

All of these call out that the current arrangements are for courses starting before January 2028.
Old Dec 20th 2022, 8:23 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
when you say ‘warning young British families’ what do you actually mean ? There is adequate open guidance about this in various places online, do people really need to be spoon-fed every aspect of brexit years ahead ?
If it were good news the British government would be shouting it from the rooftops but it's not so they're following the mushroom theory of management as doing otherwise would be admitting the emperor has no clothes.
Old Dec 21st 2022, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
If it were good news the British government would be shouting it from the rooftops but it's not so they're following the mushroom theory of management as doing otherwise would be admitting the emperor has no clothes.
We are obviously off topic from banks. But with regard to this uni thing, all we know is the current provisions apply until 2028 which is more than 5 years away. Perhaps other provisions will come into play before then for those that qualify, who knows.

As expats we are all subject to rule changes both in our home countries and the countries we live, some good some bad. We have to suck it up or we do have a choice to move back.
Old Dec 25th 2022, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I was resident in various M.E. countries for most of my working life so having a UK on-shore bank account was not an option. I have had various off-shore accounts in Jersey, Guernsey and now the Isle of Man. Not difficult to set up and out-going payments, direct debits and on-line transfers are easy to set up and action. My incoming government pension arrives as expected.

I imagine that with proof of residency as part of the Know your Client process opening an offshore account as a non UK resident with the same bank as used on-shore should be possible and be fairly straightforward. They would probably help transfer direct debits / standing orders to the new account.

Old Dec 25th 2022, 2:42 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman
FWIW I was resident in various M.E. countries for most of my working life so having a UK on-shore bank account was not an option. I have had various off-shore accounts in Jersey, Guernsey and now the Isle of Man. Not difficult to set up and out-going payments, direct debits and on-line transfers are easy to set up and action. My incoming government pension arrives as expected.

I imagine that with proof of residency as part of the Know your Client process opening an offshore account as a non UK resident with the same bank as used on-shore should be possible and be fairly straightforward. They would probably help transfer direct debits / standing orders to the new account.
The problem is though, some institutions won't allow payments from a non-Spanish bank!
Old Dec 25th 2022, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

In Italy the tax authorities call these places a fiscal paradise and deal with them severely. Might be the same in Spain?
Old Dec 26th 2022, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

I should have been clearer, I meant my UK financial transactions work well from the Isle of Man. We have a Sabadell account for Spanish payments, which as Snikpoh says, some official institutions will not accept payments from non-ES banks.

The days of being able to hide money away in Guernsey/Jersey and the IoM are long gone. HMRC fought a long and eventually successful legal battle to compel the offshore banks to reveal account holders details. I received a letter from HMRC that was suitably vague about my overseas banking both past and present and whilst there was no suggestion I had done anything wrong, providing the requested information would be very ‘helpful’. If HMRC have access then I am sure other countries tax authorities will be able to uncover undeclared assets.

The penalty for not declaring some banking assets etc on the initial Spanish Modelo 720 declaration is too frightening for me and surely others to consider hiding financial assets.
Old Dec 26th 2022, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I should have been clearer, I meant my UK financial transactions work well from the Isle of Man. We have a Sabadell account for Spanish payments, which as Snikpoh says, some official institutions will not accept payments from non-ES banks.

The days of being able to hide money away in Guernsey/Jersey and the IoM are long gone. HMRC fought a long and eventually successful legal battle to compel the offshore banks to reveal account holders details. I received a letter from HMRC that was suitably vague about my overseas banking both past and present and whilst there was no suggestion I had done anything wrong, providing the requested information would be very ‘helpful’. If HMRC have access then I am sure other countries tax authorities will be able to uncover undeclared assets.

The penalty for not declaring some banking assets etc on the initial Spanish Modelo 720 declaration is too frightening for me and surely others to consider hiding financial assets.
The modelo 720 fines have now been revised and are in line with normal tax fines
Old Dec 26th 2022, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

As a Spanish resident, I had an offshore savings account in Gibraltar for several years, before the automatic exchange of financial information agreement was introduced, and it never caused me any problems with the Spanish tax authorities, I simply declared the interest (which was paid gross) on my Spanish tax return. The modelo 720 wasn't in existence at that time but the account wouldn't have needed to be declared anyway, being below the limit.

My UK bank hasn't yet shown any signs of wanting to close the accounts of customers based in EU member states. If they did, an offshore current account would be of no use to me because two of my pension providers will only make payments into UK accounts. In that event (which may never come to pass) I believe my only option would be to open a Wise account with a UK IBAN, plus an offshore savings account which I could transfer money to.
Old Dec 26th 2022, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

You would not necessarily need to open an offshore account, since the ease of transferring from various currencies to some 50 others, all within Wise,is simple, speedy and inexpensive.
My experience with extracting money from a Guernsey account (following the death of my wife) put me off dealing with offshore accounts. The only drawback is,of course,the lack of interest!
Old Dec 29th 2022, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Kazwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably won't help those in Spain already but we are changing our address to our accountant as it states at least for Halifax and HSBC for which we both have accounts that it can be a solicitor or accountants address we are moving in Feb I'm English my partner Spanish so we will get married straight away and I will open us online Spanish bank we already have vwise,revolut and HSBC new global money which is great so hoping that will do,our accountant says he manages this sort of service for lots of clients he will send us new cards etc
Old Jan 1st 2023, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you're talking about a UK solicitor?

Sounds like a fiddle though and I would doubt he's using his practice name and official business address for it, it's the account holder who needs to be UK resident not their solicitor or accountant!
Old Jan 1st 2023, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

You can give a bank a correspondence address which can be an accountant or solicitor. However that is different to proving you are a UK resident if the bank requires it.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Was in HSBC on Friday. Trying to still open son's account. There are numerous problems. Firstly, these problems are just being found out by HSBC staff. They relate to various separate requirements which together prevent an account opening. I was there for an hour and they tried to help but after numerous attempts at changing addresses, up loading documents it still wasn't letting us open an account as various Brexit restrictions are now in play. Firstly, they wanted to update my identity and address. I had taken a whole file of documents so was prepared. I have been a customer for 40 years. Now they needed an update on address. They asked for EU license- but won't work as the system will only accept driving licence at point of application for new customers!!No problem a tax letter from uk had my address. However, as soon as the system saw a Spanish address it required a non-uk tax residency form to be completed. No problem as I had my Spanish tax number etc. Then it wouldn't process it and the staff member said they couldn't over rule the system manually. So next we tried using my uk house address. Worked except then it required me to be a UK tax resident which meant lying which even staff weren't sure what to do. In the end we tried to focus on my son but same problems kept occurring with non uk tax residency as the form required him to submit a tax number. Another problem was trying to register the Spanish address as the fields are arranged for uk address and not Spanish. This means you have to ignore everything like post code but fill each field with lines of your address. Anyway, we ended up doing scans of passports, utility bills etc and the staff said they would do everything and even gave me the branch email and dedicated staff member. Said would contact me Saturday but never did. Sent them email but no reply. Maybe will hear something later but it definitely proves things are not working as they advertise. My advice is don't mention spain. Use a UK address and say you are a UK resident then update to your Spanish address and ignore the tax residency letter if they send it.

Last edited by Ronnyone; Jan 1st 2023 at 8:53 am.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Kazwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I take it you're talking about a UK solicitor?

Sounds like a fiddle though and I would doubt he's using his practice name and official business address for it, it's the account holder who needs to be UK resident not their solicitor or accountant!
It's definitely not fiddle he does it for lots of clients who live abroad it's totally legal to change your address to his address just not care of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.