Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Sep 1st 2022, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Wise replied (in under 2 hours!! - took Standard Life a week plus and still waiting on Aviva) reassuring me of their financial safeguards which I was already comfortable with - I have replied to them that my point was my dissatisfaction with Standard Life's attitude and could Wise approach them and negotiate a change of policy.

Interesting NS&I accept them - nice to know they have a more modern approach especially as I have investments with Ernie.

I do not want to open a Revolut account - unless I have to!

Thanks Barrie - I assume that is Standard Life's reason as well. Probably the old traditional financial institutions will hide behind this outdated (IMO) approach and restrictions - at our inconvenience.

Last edited by spainrico; Sep 1st 2022 at 1:02 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing service from Wise - replied again already and really friendly and helpful - why can't all organisations be like this!!!

'Hi Robert,

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate you raising this with us. We appreciate customers who actively try to improve the company for the better.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Wise will be FSCS protected in the future, or that Standard Life will change their policy of sending to non-FSCS protected online money service providers.

Nonetheless, your feedback and idea is appreciated and I have shared it with the relevant team who deal with this.

If I receive any news about changes or updates regarding this. I will let you know via email.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we are more than happy to help.

All the best,'

So there we are....the answer I guess is not to deal with out-of-date' Dodo like' (IMO) organisations but unfortunately I am locked into Standard Life.

Old Sep 4th 2022, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Amazing service from Wise - replied again already and really friendly and helpful - why can't all organisations be like this!!!

'Hi Robert,

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate you raising this with us. We appreciate customers who actively try to improve the company for the better.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Wise will be FSCS protected in the future, or that Standard Life will change their policy of sending to non-FSCS protected online money service providers.

Nonetheless, your feedback and idea is appreciated and I have shared it with the relevant team who deal with this.

If I receive any news about changes or updates regarding this. I will let you know via email.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we are more than happy to help.

All the best,'

So there we are....the answer I guess is not to deal with out-of-date' Dodo like' (IMO) organisations but unfortunately I am locked into Standard Life.

They discussed this subject in yesterdays Times (subscription). There are a few interesting comments.
Old Sep 4th 2022, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hola Phil - can you cut and paste and post here?
Old Sep 4th 2022, 8:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spainrico;13138434]

Interesting NS&I accept them - nice to know they have a more modern approach especially as I have investments with Ernie.

I do not want to open a Revolut account - unless I have to!

[QUOTE]

Me neither, having recently opened a Wise account in the past couple of weeks, after great input from this forum....

Does anyone know if Revolut is actually accepted in this situation, please? Giving them an advantage over Wise.

I've had a Lloyds account since the 70's to kick off Uni entry... I'd be very sad if they forced me to close the account I've had for decades.

Thankfully no letter.... Yet.

I did change to Lloyds offshore though, a long time ago, so perhaps (hopefully) there is a different system there. No problems with pensions and Ernie payments.

If so, that may be a way out, not sure... But just throwing it out there for discussion...

Jon
Old Sep 4th 2022, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Phil - can you cut and paste and post here?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2...6528286518cfd8
Old Sep 4th 2022, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, very interesting - especially this sentence (to me as I am with Lloyds)

'Some banks, such as Santander, will continue existing accounts “with some limitations” but new customers must have a UK address to open an account. Lloyds Bank, Halifax and Bank of Scotland are not closing accounts, but are not accepting non-UK based customers either.'

Old Sep 4th 2022, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

'Some banks, such as Santander, will continue existing accounts “with some limitations” but new customers must have a UK address to open an account. Lloyds Bank, Halifax and Bank of Scotland are not closing accounts, but are not accepting non-UK based customers either.'
Evidently Revolut has applied for a UK bank licence. The UK for some reason has not granted the licence but could in the future.
Old Sep 4th 2022, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like protectionism to me - the old high street banks desperately trying to change their operating mode and move online as they close their offices and trying to compete with the newbies...

Mind you in all fairness I have never paid a penny in charges to Lloyds and they maintain 2 accounts for me and as I don't/can't use their other services (like money transfer!) I guess I am not worth a lot to them - except of course they are using my money for loans at probably outrageous interest rates.
Old Sep 4th 2022, 4:11 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yet I've had a letter from The Halifax stating that they ARE closing accounts - I've had mine with them for over 40 years!
Old Sep 5th 2022, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

What is your plan B?
Old Sep 5th 2022, 7:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

What is your plan B?
It looks like neither Wise or Revolut will work if I understood it correctly (for this particular situation e.g pension payments)

I did suggest looking into an offshore sterling account with e.g Lloyds which still has a sort code and in usage terms is exactly the same as an onshore account. It will depend on ones particular situation... And the small print in the Lloyds (or other) bank operation.

Jon
PS the US Dollar has now crossed parity meaning the Euro has weakened significantly ... And underwater re the dollar....!!

Whilst the £ has also weakened against $ thankfully it hasn't tanked vs € as predicted by some after the referendum

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 5th 2022 at 7:50 am.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Still nothing from Lloyds....

Aviva say they will pay into Wise

Does anybody know if UK Government will pay state pension into Wise? (save me hours on the phone!)
Old Sep 7th 2022, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I enquired, by email, from the paying organisation whether my Wise account was suitable to receive my state pension. This was nearly a month ago. Their prompt reply was that it was indeed possible but needed a written request. I submitted the written application to change the bank, operative on 2 September. The pension went to the old bank! I am waiting to see if they have opened last month's post yet, come the 30th!
Old Sep 7th 2022, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

OK thanks - well at least they say they will which is progress! May I ask who is your old bank - Barclays?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.