Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Aug 14th 2022, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

my letter from the Halifax says" if you are no longer a UK resident (I am not) , we may have to close your account or offer a different level of service and have updated our conditions to reflect this."

So will or won't they ?
Old Aug 14th 2022, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I was kinda joking.....
Yep I guessed that to be case but it can get confusing with the banks as they give out so much false information. 3 years ago they told me it was fine wouldn't affect me, 6 months later they said it may affect me but not for some time, then wife tried to change her address to same spanish address on joint account, you can't have eu address? Why not my husband other account holder does? Well he shouldn't! Then suggestion we use daughters UK address etc. This was after having same joint account over 40 years. It was at that point I took the bull by the horns and legally set up HSBC account and closed the Barclays one.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 3:56 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yep I guessed that to be case but it can get confusing with the banks as they give out so much false information. 3 years ago they told me it was fine wouldn't affect me, 6 months later they said it may affect me but not for some time, then wife tried to change her address to same spanish address on joint account, you can't have eu address? Why not my husband other account holder does? Well he shouldn't! Then suggestion we use daughters UK address etc. This was after having same joint account over 40 years. It was at that point I took the bull by the horns and legally set up HSBC account and closed the Barclays one.
Is your account with HSBC UK or with HSBC Expat ?
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joddle
Is your account with HSBC UK or with HSBC Expat ?
It's with HSBC UK. Funny enough although I can have a Current Account they won't give me a savings account? I wanted one to keep a little pot of money in as we rent out a UK property but HSBC said no to that?
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Barclays said I could have an International Account as an Expat living in the EU but you have to maintain £100,000 in it!
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:18 pm
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by bobd22
It's with HSBC UK. Funny enough although I can have a Current Account they won't give me a savings account? I wanted one to keep a little pot of money in as we rent out a UK property but HSBC said no to that?
On the HSBC website they seem to have a way of simply transferring a bank account from another bank! - Maybe I can use that as they say they look after all the payments and DDs etc and there is almost nothing for me to do!

Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the HSBC website they seem to have a way of simply transferring a bank account from another bank! - Maybe I can use that as they say they look after all the payments and DDs etc and there is almost nothing for me to do!
Yes they say that but for some reason I couldn't use that system I can't remember why. I had to set up my Direct Debits myself but it was all easy enough.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:36 pm
Josh in Spain

The DDs are not so important but the pension payments of course are!! So long as they get that right it sounds like a good plan
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The DDs are not so important but the pension payments of course are!! So long as they get that right it sounds like a good plan
I have 2 pensions paid into my account again I had to inform the providers of HSBC account details myself. Again wasn't a big deal just a phone call cancelling Barclay Account Details and providing new HSBC details. I'm not sure if I couldn't use the automatic switch set up because I was outwith UK? I think that may be the case.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:47 pm
Josh in Spain

Many thanks - I may have to be in the UK before November so might try then if it does not work from here!
Old Aug 14th 2022, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many thanks - I may have to be in the UK before November so might try then if it does not work from here!
Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2022, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Ah - Joddle, so your latest post changes everything - as it has not actually happened.

Sept 2020:-
'Lloyds Bank confirmed to The Sunday Times that it will be withdrawing services from Holland, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland, Italy and Portugal – a move that will affect 13,000 British customers.' https://lifestylegroup.es/uk-banks-c...s-brits-spain/

Just checked nothing in my message area.

and Philat98 - '
Wise is not always accepted...' not accepted by whom?
I have a SIPP with Interactive Investor. I was able to withdraw money with my Nationwide Account. When Nationwide closed the account I tried to substitute Wise. II said that Wise was not a valid UK bank. The money is now stuck in the SIPP.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I have a SIPP with Interactive Investor. I was able to withdraw money with my Nationwide Account. When Nationwide closed the account I tried to substitute Wise. II said that Wise was not a valid UK bank. The money is now stuck in the SIPP.
Why did Nationwide close the account??
I have a current account with them and they have said that they will not be closing accounts. Cannot open new savings ones or apply for a credit card without being a UK resident..
I changed the address to a Spanish one nearly two years ago and they sent my new credit card (the old one expired) here to Spain a couple of months ago..

I can understand that the SIPP can't be paid via Wise as nor can my private pension as it must be paid to a UK bank (not just some money changer with a Uk IBAN)

With my personal pension I could if needed nominate a bank account held by a family member (close as in same surname) to have the money paid to as long as they were Uk resident..

Old Aug 14th 2022, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Why did Nationwide close the account??
I have a current account with them and they have said that they will not be closing accounts. Cannot open new savings ones or apply for a credit card without being a UK resident..
I changed the address to a Spanish one nearly two years ago and they sent my new credit card (the old one expired) here to Spain a couple of months ago..

I can understand that the SIPP can't be paid via Wise as nor can my private pension as it must be paid to a UK bank (not just some money changer with a Uk IBAN)

With my personal pension I could if needed nominate a bank account held by a family member (close as in same surname) to have the money paid to as long as they were Uk resident..
I am in Italy not Spain. Nationwide closed all accounts in Italy.
Old Aug 14th 2022, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I am in Italy not Spain. Nationwide closed all accounts in Italy.

Oh understand.... But what sense does that make???

Why close accounts in one EU country and not them all??
Do the Nationwide have a presence in Spain but not Italy then??

I can understand Barclays because I doubt they are welcome anywhere these days..

Might waste an hour or so tomorrow trying to find out why one country but not another...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.