Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Bailiff Powers

UK Bailiff Powers

Old May 13th 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bailiff Powers

UK Courts and bailiffs only know what you tell them about you in Spain so dont give them an address at any time , email can even be traced to a local town easily , if you really must communicate with them do so by mobile , taking you to court in Spain for a few thousand is not viable for them .
Old May 13th 2018, 4:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in Spain we had a letter into our post box from a debt collection agency stating that there was a €3000 debt payable to a debt collection agency, fortunately it was nothing to do with us but they did say that the debt had been sold to Spanish debt collection agency and they would be visiting the apartment within the next week. What we did was to give the letter to the rental agency who did say that they had had on going problems with these people but were going to contact the agency and the latest address they had for the people. About a month later we got a visit from some people asking for the person who had lived there, fortunately we were able to prove we were not the people, however it shook us up a fair bit and the next morning we were at the rental agency and told them we were moving out as soon as we could find somewhere, which was the same day in fact, and within a week we had moved, and we got our deposit back, but it does show that people can be traced.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to sound too pious but a number of posts seem to be encouraging people to avoid their moral if not legal responsibility to pay their debts. Don't forget that the actual victim here is not the debtor but the lender. You may dismiss them as "big corps who can afford" but many are small businesses and individuals who cant. Even the big corps will pass on their losses to other customers - and that means you and me.
I, too, am very sorry about the circumstances of the OP's loss.
Old May 14th 2018, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You mention lenders and moral responsibilities in the same paragraph.
Old May 14th 2018, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
That kinda says it all about modern morality : lenders = bad ; debtor=good downtrodden victim ☹☹😩
Old May 14th 2018, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
That kinda says it all about modern morality : lenders = bad ; debtor=good downtrodden victim ☹☹😩
Disagree , lenders have been dubious at best since the beginning of time from local gangster loan sharks to high street banks , all trying to pull a fast one on the unfortunate.
Old May 14th 2018, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Disagree , lenders have been dubious at best since the beginning of time from local gangster loan sharks to high street banks , all trying to pull a fast one on the unfortunate.
Bit of a sweeping statement! Did you ever have a mortgage? Did you pay it back?
Old May 14th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Bit of a sweeping statement! Did you ever have a mortgage? Did you pay it back?
I guess you were in finance , no lender , legal or otherwise is there to help anyone other than themselves .
Old May 14th 2018, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well sometimes helpful people stand surety for others, that they trust will honour the agreement to repay the loan made to them often at zero interest, or in the hope they will repay a third party. Those who do this in good faith end up as the lender/loser.
Old May 15th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I guess you were in finance , no lender , legal or otherwise is there to help anyone other than themselves .
I was never in finance but I have (and still do) rely on the finance sector to sustain a reasonable lifestyle - I spent most of my working life with credit cards, an overdraft and mortgage all of which I paid off in time. Now they look after my little nest egg and pay me some income enough to enjoy my time left in Spain and the UK. I would guess that is the life story of many (if not most) of the expats on this forum and elsewhere.
Old May 15th 2018, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is forced to borrow money.
Old May 15th 2018, 11:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan

Really? Nobody? So you think everyone has the financial means to cover emergency situations? Sure! Who doesn't have $15k just lying around? I'm on a single income and when my son died he would not have had a funeral had it not been for credit cards and borrowing. But as you say, I wasn't forced.
Old May 16th 2018, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dfjordan

What a sheltered and privileged life you must have lived.
Old May 16th 2018, 7:11 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

What a sheltered and privileged life you must have lived.
Dont be a pratt, nobodŷ is forced to borrow, its your decision, if someone dies the state will bury them if nobody chooses to pay. In my youth i did without if i hadnt money, today people just borrow to fund essentials like holidays and cars. Interest charged is a social evil but necessary. Sure there are sad cases but you play the cards you are dealt, and do your best to win at life. Borrowing is almost never winning.

Our culture is one of social ease for the poor at the expense of those with income, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but is abused by so many that it is brought into disrepute. One major issue is that the culture of frugality/saving is good and will be rewarded is also eroded. If you are frugal, and invest/save, if you need help, you are expected to use your own resources and sell your property first, then when poor and unable to help the state will step in, so why bother to save?
Old May 16th 2018, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

Dont be a pratt, nobodŷ is forced to borrow, its your decision, if someone dies the state will bury them if nobody chooses to pay. In my youth i did without if i hadnt money, today people just borrow to fund essentials like holidays and cars. Interest charged is a social evil but necessary. Sure there are sad cases but you play the cards you are dealt, and do your best to win at life. Borrowing is almost never winning.

Our culture is one of social ease for the poor at the expense of those with income, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but is abused by so many that it is brought into disrepute. One major issue is that the culture of frugality/saving is good and will be rewarded is also eroded. If you are frugal, and invest/save, if you need help, you are expected to use your own resources and sell your property first, then when poor and unable to help the state will step in, so why bother to save?
Ah an instant insult , tells me a lot about you . Think again , not all countries have a social security system that you can live off , if your kids were genuinely hungry or ill , you had no work or money and the only way was a loan shark charging extortionate rates then I guess you wouldn't use them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.