Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ugijar info wanted and Hi from new member

Ugijar info wanted and Hi from new member

Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Lemain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ugijar info wanted and Hi from new member

Hi folks, this is my first post to the forum. I have spent an hour or three going over past posts - nice, knowledgeable and friendly crowd you all seem to be!

My wife and I are presently doing a sabbatical on our yacht, presently staying in Almerimar (El Ejido, Almeria) and still with a year or so of sailing left, maybe. We have decided to pack up in the UK and come to live in Spain - having been in Spain for a couple of years now we are not complete newbies but there is a lot we don't know.

We have been house hunting - well, area hunting, really - from Ayamonte to Alicante and south. Lots of really nice areas - and not such nice areas. We are presently targetting the Ugijar area +/- 40km preferably at the very edge of a pueblo with some garden or something more like a cortijo with plenty of land (which we might get a local to look after for us) maybe off-grid (which is what we do on our boat). It seems that microwave internet/phone is now well established at prices not much more than ordinary Telefonica lines but are they any good? By reading past threads, I see that red diesel is no problem and that has affected my thinking considerably (half price diesel for electric generator).

We don't have children so schools are not an issue and our Spanish is coming along nicely so while we enjoy the company of Brits we can get by quite well in Spanish and find that the locals from this part of the country are especially warm and welcoming.

My question, aside from saying hi, is about the general Ugijar area. We just make daily excursions from Almerimar and don't see all of it....are there any issues we should know about? Crime, anti social behaviour, anti social legislation, water problems (there seems to be loads) or any positive things anyone can tell us about. How about surrounding towns and villages - which are the nicest ones and worth looking at for a house. Maybe you know of a house for sale, or maybe you have one yourself.

Thanks and I look forward to taking part in this forum with you. - David
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:03 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ugijar info wanted and Hi from new member

Sorry I can't be of any help to you David - but I just wanted to say 'HI' and welcome to a very friendly forum board. I have had lots of help and made many friends on here, I'm sure you will too
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help either but ahoy there .... sure someone will know the area
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:15 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi David, sorry no help to you but welcome, I'm sure someone soon will be able to offer you some info.

Last edited by crispy; Apr 12th 2007 at 9:26 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi David, sorry no help to you but welcome, I'm sure someone soon will be able to offer you some info.
Thanks, guys. Very interesting forum, lots of knowledge, superb resource.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:03 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemain
Thanks, guys. Very interesting forum, lots of knowledge, superb resource.
If you decide to moor your boat in Alicante let me know and we will pop over to say hi in person
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lionda
If you decide to moor your boat in Alicante let me know and we will pop over to say hi in person
We stopped a few nights in Alicante last year, on our way to the Balearics. Might well do the same again as we liked it...only problem is that it is one of the only marinas in Spain that charge a particular yacht tax and it is quite expensive - you have to pay a minimum of 3 months tax even if you only stay one night(!) and there are no good anchorages. However, we did enjoy our stay and might do the same. If so, will let you know!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I can not help you but i would like to say welcome
xxxxxxx
Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:42 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I live twenty minutes drive from Ugijar in another of the Alpujarran Villages.

Crime is low, it is just petty theft, for example someone stole the stretchy wire from the tarpaulin on our trailer - however, even this is very rare.

I do not have broadband internet, but you can get it from telefonica now in this area. I know several people with it and believe it is quite good.

All the villages are OK.

My main advice, based on experiences of several friends, is don't buy anything you can't see. Don't be fobbed off with 'of course you'll be able to build an extension' - more than likely you won't, especially if you are out in the Parque Natural. If you need two bathroooms, buy a place with two bathrooms already, or at least somewhere you can install them. Same with electricity/ mains drainage - if they are not installed, don't assume you will be able to have them, even if someone tells you you can. Get your formal written permission first, or better still buy a place that is already connected.

If you are bothered about redevelopment near you, buy either a place that is already built up (i.e.in a village) or somewhere surrounded by your own land. If you are near anyone else's land, there is always a chance it will be sold for redevelopment. If you buy land, make sure it has irrigation rights, again, get this in writing before you buy.

We have a village house with no land and have been here 2.5 years. We are very happy here and the neighbours have made us SO welcome!

Good luck, hope to see you in Aurora's Bar sometime!