Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Typical Baby Pressies?

Typical Baby Pressies?

Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Typical Baby Pressies?

I'm to be an abuela. There. I said it! Ok having got over the shock I figured the least I could do would be turn up with a gift that no-one from the UK would be buying. I know they won't be piercing its ears, whatever gender, and they're not religious.............. what gift, small, large, cheap, expensive, would be typically Spanish and scream 'abuela' at them??? I have a few weeks to source, so any and all advice gratefully received
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical Baby Pressies?

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'm to be an abuela. There. I said it! Ok having got over the shock I figured the least I could do would be turn up with a gift that no-one from the UK would be buying. I know they won't be piercing its ears, whatever gender, and they're not religious.............. what gift, small, large, cheap, expensive, would be typically Spanish and scream 'abuela' at them??? I have a few weeks to source, so any and all advice gratefully received
Congratulations!

Well, Spanish grandparents are incredibly generous. From the ones I meet around here, then if you want to be like them, you could offer to look after the child full time until they are old enough to go to school, and dont forget to cook all their meals and buy all their clothes too

We got our pram/travel system from the grandparents which is also pretty typical so I am lead to believe but you should give whatever you are comfortable with

When we have a new nephew then we tend to buy them an outfit. You can get very expensive traditional ones, but we tend to get something more modern from the Spanish brand tuc tuc. Great for UK kids because I dont think you can get this brand over there. Great quality and fun clothes and baby products

http://www.tuctuc.com/es/store
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... that's one for the list, Tuc Tuc.

Pram etc already sorted, they've got some rather well off friends who have (just) finished their family so everything is (a) good and (b) almost new!

Anyone any other ideas?

Thanks, by the way!

Last edited by fionamw; Aug 27th 2013 at 4:39 pm. Reason: manners
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I can think of that would be particularly "Spanish" have religious connotations so wouldn't be suitable - like those little "charms" (don't know the Spanish word) that are pinned to the clothes of new babies, or a proper old-fashioned christening gown. Otherwise they just seem to have the same things as babies everywhere!

Oh, congratulations! I nearly forgot.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted to buy a really special present, money was no object and the more "practical" items weren't needed, I think I would choose a traditional wooden rocking horse, either a restored antique one or a new artisan-made one. They are pretty expensive but I think they would appeal to both boys and girls and could become a real heirloom piece to be passed down through the family.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

missrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If I wanted to buy a really special present, money was no object and the more "practical" items weren't needed, I think I would choose a traditional wooden rocking horse, either a restored antique one or a new artisan-made one. They are pretty expensive but I think they would appeal to both boys and girls and could become a real heirloom piece to be passed down through the family.
What a nice idea Lynn! Any ideas where you could get a rocking horse in Spain? I am currently on the hunt for a rocking chair for my baby nursery but cant find any in Malaga except the really cheap looking more modern ones from Ikea!

Congratulations fionamw! One thing that seems more popular in Spain to the uk are the personalised baby bags? The ones i have seen just seem prettier in Spain than in UK, especially if you know what they are having and the name?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missrabbit
What a nice idea Lynn! Any ideas where you could get a rocking horse in Spain? I am currently on the hunt for a rocking chair for my baby nursery but cant find any in Malaga except the really cheap looking more modern ones from Ikea!
I'd like one of those rocking horses myself and I haven't got any children! After seeing your post I did a Google search but can't find any in the traditional English style available in Spain, just more modern and basic looking ones, I'm afraid.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missrabbit

Congratulations fionamw! One thing that seems more popular in Spain to the uk are the personalised baby bags? The ones i have seen just seem prettier in Spain than in UK, especially if you know what they are having and the name?
No they don't know what they're having (not for sure) and if they call it what they might I'll be calling it something different anyway!!!!!! ... as for rocking horses, might prove a problem with hand luggage................
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fionamw
No they don't know what they're having (not for sure) and if they call it what they might I'll be calling it something different anyway!!!!!! ... as for rocking horses, might prove a problem with hand luggage................
I wasn't thinking of you taking it with you (especially as they don't seem to be available here anyway), but more of ordering one from the UK and getting it delivered. But it was just a thought, as the suggestions didn't seem to be flooding in.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I wasn't thinking of you taking it with you (especially as they don't seem to be available here anyway), but more of ordering one from the UK and getting it delivered. But it was just a thought, as the suggestions didn't seem to be flooding in.
A nice thought, but truth is I wanted to get something with a Spanish tinge which baby is exceedingly unlikely to get from someone in the UK!