Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Two months on....

Two months on....

Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:00 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two months on....

Hello everybody.

You will no doubt remember me as I was glued to this forum during my build up and when i first arrived in the Costa Del Sol.

I flew into Malaga airport a little over 2 months ago with nothing but a suitcase packed, a car hired and a hotel booked for a week.
Now im living an hour away in Estepona in a lovely 2 bedroomed apartment overlooking the port, working in a secured job in the line of work I want and looking at buying a car. Im making more friends all the time and really getting to know the area well. Above all. Everything is going GREAT!!

There has been the ups and downs, the biggest down being that as you may recall my g/f and her baby were due to follow me. They should be about here by now, but sadly things went wrong there, and now they're not coming. However im not letting that dampen my spirits. The coast is full of great girls, great places to go and I still love it here as much as ever.

I really appreciate being here. To be able to go down to the beach on my lunch hour and look out to the sea, seeing people sunbathing and people being happy is such a great thing. Maybe its still a novelty, i dont know. But to drive to work in a morning without being stuck in hurrendous traffic jams, and looking over to the sea from the coast road is just amazing. I look out of my window and think "ooh i can see Africa today!" meaning there is good visibility. Theres times where im just driving down the road, or just sat in a bar and i suddenly feel a surge of energy and think "WOW I LOVE IT HERE!!"

It feels like a dream, like ill wake up at some point and be back in England. But im here, got a job, got an NIE, got social security and have been paid by an employer.
I actually like this coast more than I thought I would. By being able to explore it, ive been up the mountains and seen some of the most amazing views. Ive been up and down from Puerto De Quesa to Malaga and the differences in the places are just great. Ive been to Gibraltar, I even took a trip to Morroco. Theres so much to do and see. The people are great, youve got so many different types of people from all over the world.

Its not been easy though, there has been the problems. Ive stood and queued for hours to get an NIE number to be told by some numpty I had the wrong form when I didnt. But with all the experiences ive had, theres lessons to be learned (like dont go to Fuengirola police station for an NIE they havnt got a clue!)

I do feel like ive been very lucky by landing a job I wanted 8 days after landing. Been at the company for a few weeks now and all settled in quite nicely. The working hours are a bit poo but for now it'll do! Its a good job in the same line of work ive been used to.

Ive still got a long way to go. I need to buy a car, i need to learn more spanish, i need to get resedencia at some point, need to register with doctors etc. But im getting there, and im settling in well. Most of all i need more friends, and eventually to find love again after such a let down last month.

The only time ive missed being in the UK is recently. And thats because my home town of Sheffield has been suffering some hurrendous floods. Ive been watching the videos on BBC website and seeing pictures of roads i used to drive down every day completely submerged in water. Thankfully everyone i know is up the hills so they are OK. But it sounds absolutely remarkable whats going. Part of me feels like i should be there to see for myself.

So advice to anyone whos thinking of moving to spain.. GO FOR IT! ITS AMAZING!!! IVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY!
Its not easy, it takes a hell of a lot of effort, but the rewards to me are worth it.

A big thanks to this forum for providing much needed support and to help me prepare for such a task. And will no doubt continue to do so.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:11 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two months on....

Good to see that you are getting on well. As someone told me recently, don't sweat the little things.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:13 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew it was great to read your thread on your last two months here in Spain. You sound as though you are enjoying life and I certainly feel you have made the right move.

I havent been to the part of Spain where you live, but it sounds like a beautiful place to live. We are going to make a trip down there after summer when things are quieter so we may be in touch.

Keep on enjoying life Karma sent
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:38 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew glad to hear that you have settled in so well. We moved over to the Costa Blanca 6 weeks ago and haven't really had a chance to relax yet because of all the form filling and shopping (new build with no light or bathroom fittings so lots to do) also got a large garden which, apart from a small patch where I have put some flowers, still looks like a builders yard but we are getting there. Got our padron today and sorting out the registration of our car next week (ITV tomorrow).

Sorry things haven't worked out with your girlfriend but you sound like you have your head screwed on and I'm sure you will meet someone else when the time is right for you. Don't rush into anything

Continue having fun and enjoying life in the sun
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear "you`re luvin it" its nice when it all falls into place ;-) ;-)
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:31 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your liking it so far, we are in similar jobs
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:38 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
Glad your liking it so far, we are in similar jobs
What? He is a piss head too?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Hi Andrew

Really good to hear from you. I've been thinking of you. It's great to hear all your news. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you with your girlfriend but you've managed to stay strong and are building a new future. Well done mate. Hope you stay in touch on this forum.

All the very best for the future.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:57 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What? He is a piss head too?
lol you take the piss somtimes
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:08 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Wow nice one Andy you have cheered me up , i am so pleased you wrote that update as i have been wondering how your doing ,, And now i know ,and to read that your loving it is such a big

So keep posting and good on you for sticking at it with all your few problems during it ..

Now i can stop worrying a little
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:29 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Wow! brilliant to hear from you again Andrew, I am so pleased that you are doing well and enjoying life after the events that directly followed your move.
You seem to have the right attitude to life, you make up your mind over something and stick to it, good for you. I really hope life continues to be great for you. You have shown a lot of determination and have learnt some valuable lessons along the way which will see you through many a negative time, hope there are not too many of those!
You have shown that although working long hours in your new job that you still have time to go out and explore, so many people seem to regard life in Spain as one long holiday and quickly slip into very bad habits instead of embracing the spanish way of life. You are a great example to what can be achieved in such a short time.
[F] Well done and best wishes for everything you do. Wishing you all the best.
Love Eve
xx
[/FONT]
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Jason fastlane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hello everybody.

You will no doubt remember me as I was glued to this forum during my build up and when i first arrived in the Costa Del Sol.

I flew into Malaga airport a little over 2 months ago with nothing but a suitcase packed, a car hired and a hotel booked for a week.
Now im living an hour away in Estepona in a lovely 2 bedroomed apartment overlooking the port, working in a secured job in the line of work I want and looking at buying a car. Im making more friends all the time and really getting to know the area well. Above all. Everything is going GREAT!!

There has been the ups and downs, the biggest down being that as you may recall my g/f and her baby were due to follow me. They should be about here by now, but sadly things went wrong there, and now they're not coming. However im not letting that dampen my spirits. The coast is full of great girls, great places to go and I still love it here as much as ever.

I really appreciate being here. To be able to go down to the beach on my lunch hour and look out to the sea, seeing people sunbathing and people being happy is such a great thing. Maybe its still a novelty, i dont know. But to drive to work in a morning without being stuck in hurrendous traffic jams, and looking over to the sea from the coast road is just amazing. I look out of my window and think "ooh i can see Africa today!" meaning there is good visibility. Theres times where im just driving down the road, or just sat in a bar and i suddenly feel a surge of energy and think "WOW I LOVE IT HERE!!"

It feels like a dream, like ill wake up at some point and be back in England. But im here, got a job, got an NIE, got social security and have been paid by an employer.
I actually like this coast more than I thought I would. By being able to explore it, ive been up the mountains and seen some of the most amazing views. Ive been up and down from Puerto De Quesa to Malaga and the differences in the places are just great. Ive been to Gibraltar, I even took a trip to Morroco. Theres so much to do and see. The people are great, youve got so many different types of people from all over the world.

Its not been easy though, there has been the problems. Ive stood and queued for hours to get an NIE number to be told by some numpty I had the wrong form when I didnt. But with all the experiences ive had, theres lessons to be learned (like dont go to Fuengirola police station for an NIE they havnt got a clue!)

I do feel like ive been very lucky by landing a job I wanted 8 days after landing. Been at the company for a few weeks now and all settled in quite nicely. The working hours are a bit poo but for now it'll do! Its a good job in the same line of work ive been used to.

Ive still got a long way to go. I need to buy a car, i need to learn more spanish, i need to get resedencia at some point, need to register with doctors etc. But im getting there, and im settling in well. Most of all i need more friends, and eventually to find love again after such a let down last month.

The only time ive missed being in the UK is recently. And thats because my home town of Sheffield has been suffering some hurrendous floods. Ive been watching the videos on BBC website and seeing pictures of roads i used to drive down every day completely submerged in water. Thankfully everyone i know is up the hills so they are OK. But it sounds absolutely remarkable whats going. Part of me feels like i should be there to see for myself.

So advice to anyone whos thinking of moving to spain.. GO FOR IT! ITS AMAZING!!! IVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY!
Its not easy, it takes a hell of a lot of effort, but the rewards to me are worth it.

A big thanks to this forum for providing much needed support and to help me prepare for such a task. And will no doubt continue to do so.
Hey Andrew

Great to see you back on here, i've only been observing from a distance since your last thread because you are probably the only person quite close to my situation at the moment on the forum right now. Fair play, you seem to have settled right in, guess not everything is 100%, but what is? let us know more about your daily routine, job stuff etc. Really think it would help those seriously considering the move to know the 'nuts and bolts' of daily life in CDS.

Hope it all goes well for you, I'm over in mid July with OH for a month, please god she will see, it's a region/life-style/way of life, we could blend into, and have more quality time together. We live and work together in our own business, living and breathing it all 24/7 and for once would love to get the chance to say 'Hey there has to be more to life than this!'
We are best buddies, we just have to find out/have/make time to know it

Karma sent
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:04 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
lol you take the piss somtimes
only with people I love!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

It's really nice to hear from you again Andrew

Great news that you're sounding so happy; and that you're pretty well settled in your new life and in your job. Good for you!

Please keep posting, as several people have asked about your wellbeing - it's great to know you're doing so well.

Take care, and enjoy all your new experiences

Love Sam
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:23 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies guys. I do want to keep hanging around on here. I know how useful it was to be able to just come somewhere and tal kto others who have taken the plunge and moved abroad. Hopefully now im in a position to help others who are thinking of moving to the costa del sol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.