Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tv freesat & satellite connection.

Tv freesat & satellite connection.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

awd327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tv freesat & satellite connection.

This is my first post on this site,so if I am out of order in anything please let me know. The subject I'm afraid is an old one.We were originally with telemicro but are now with teleast. We are in a community of 10 blocks.They are supposed to be changing us from mesh to a dish.We have been waiting 5 weeks.My question is if I bought a Freesat box and put a dish on my balcony would I be able to receive uk tv ? i.e. bbc Itv Etc. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tv freesat & satellite connection.

Originally Posted by awd327
This is my first post on this site,so if I am out of order in anything please let me know. The subject I'm afraid is an old one.We were originally with telemicro but are now with teleast. We are in a community of 10 blocks.They are supposed to be changing us from mesh to a dish.We have been waiting 5 weeks.My question is if I bought a Freesat box and put a dish on my balcony would I be able to receive uk tv ? i.e. bbc Itv Etc. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I think you will find that you will need a 2.4 metre dish, which is big for a balcony!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that reply. As a community we have a central ariel house on top of one of the blocks,inside the ariel house are the connections and amplifiers that link all the apartments,so I suppose a communal ariel might do the trick. Is this Feasible? We are on the La Manga strip.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:14 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

i understand that some of the rebroadcasters are changing their mesh aerials to a dish aerial - but the service wil be the same - ie rebroadcasted.

if they are doing this then your freesat receiver will not work, as the freesat receivers are designed to receive signals direct from the UK TV satellites, not a rebroadcasted signal.

i think you may get away with a 1.4m dish in your area. this would get you bbc1 and itv1,2,3,4 but not bbc2,c4 or c5 (on your freesat box).

a big community dish will work, but only if the current infrastucture (cables and amplifers) can handle it....in which case you may be looking at a big instalation cost for the requried infrastructure. i have just been to a community install where they have installed a dish and thought they could pipe the uktv signal into the existing infrastructre, but they get very limited channels and are unable to use official freesat or sky receivers.

hope this helps
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:28 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

please read this http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/Microwave.htm

there been lot off post here about telemirco , dont for get Due to these people any chance off rebrodcasting uk tv station in spain is gone

bbc and outher tv company will not trust any one from spain now

dont waste you money on rebrodcasting systems in spain go with a dish that pick up its single from 28.2 east Astra

rebrodcaster can closed down any time

please listen to use we know what we doing here and fully quilted
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks to satand pc guy and to jurydr who supplied a link that I have just read. It seems to be an absolute minefield and on reading some of the posts in the many forums on this subject it seems that only torresat are still installing and many people are still a bit wary of them after the telemicro debacle. thanks again.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Please may I ask a question - we are moving back to an apartment in Albir. Would like some English channels if possible to include channel 5. There is a communal dish but only for Spanish channels I think - if I brought one of these freeview boxes would that do the necessary. Utter dunce when it comes to this sort of thing!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:05 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

if your community has a dish pointing at the main UK TV satellites (astra2 and eurobird 1 located at 28.2-5 degrees east of south) then you should be able to get uk tv channels. you would need a freetoair, generic, freesat, or sky digital satellite receiver. to receive the bbc itvs c4 and FIVE for free (no monthly subscription or viewing card) you will require a big dish - upwards of 1.8m and any digital satellite receiver

if your community has a dish pointing at other satellites (like astra 1 at 19 degrees) then these carry mainly other european tv channels - like spanish, french and german. this dish can be less than 1m in size. these satellites will not carry the mainstream uk tv channels, but do carry channels like sky news and bbc world news.

a "freeview" box is used in the uk to receive digital tv signals from the tv aerial. this service is called "freeview" and is only available if you are in the reception area of UK TV land transmitters.

spain has its own version of "freeview" called TDT - which provides around 30 digital tv channels. they are all spansih channels, but many programmes soundtracks can be changed into their original soundtrack. there are NO mainstream UK TV Channels on TDT.
you can use a uk "freeview" box in spain but with some limitations - may not be able to change the language and it may not be able to scan all the spanish frequencies (UK and EU use different frequencies!)
a uk freeview box in spain will not pick up any of the main UK TV Channels via a tv aerial.

if you need any more info have a look at the website jurdy recommeneded (cheers jurdy!)...

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 26th 2008 at 4:11 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
if your community has a dish pointing at the main UK TV satellites (astra2 and eurobird 1 located at 28.2-5 degrees east of south) then you should be able to get uk tv channels. you would need a freetoair, generic, freesat, or sky digital satellite receiver. to receive the bbc itvs c4 and FIVE for free (no monthly subscription or viewing card) you will require a big dish - upwards of 1.8m and any digital satellite receiver

if your community has a dish pointing at other satellites (like astra 1 at 19 degrees) then these carry mainly other european tv channels - like spanish, french and german. this dish can be less than 1m in size. these satellites will not carry the mainstream uk tv channels, but do carry channels like sky news and bbc world news.

a "freeview" box is used in the uk to receive digital tv signals from the tv aerial. this service is called "freeview" and is only available if you are in the reception area of UK TV land transmitters.

spain has its own version of "freeview" called TDT - which provides around 30 digital tv channels. they are all spansih channels, but many programmes soundtracks can be changed into their original soundtrack. there are NO mainstream UK TV Channels on TDT.
you can use a uk "freeview" box in spain but with some limitations - may not be able to change the language and it may not be able to scan all the spanish frequencies (UK and EU use different frequencies!)
a uk freeview box in spain will not pick up any of the main UK TV Channels via a tv aerial.

if you need any more info have a look at the website jurdy recommeneded (cheers jurdy!)...
Thanks for that - do you come down as far as Albir??
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:24 pm

not normally, my southern most limit is usually calpe
but i may be able to stretch to albir since you are a BE member...
em or pm me and we shall discuss your requirements and what i can do for you more privately...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Hi Sat & PC Guy,
I visited your site & read the TDT programmes. Can you please tell me if I need a satellite dish to watch the free TDT programmes? Am I right in saying that I don't need a subscription to watch the free programmes as long as I got a digital TV? Also has the aerial got to be in the roof or can it be indoor?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I visited your site & read the TDT programmes. Can you please tell me if I need a satellite dish to watch the free TDT programmes?
as per post#8, TDT and freeview are digital tv services via a TV aerial - TDT stands for television digital terrestrial.
and from my site "Terrestrial Digital Television (TDT) is the Spanish version of the UK’s Freeview system. The system provides digital television via your normal TV aerial on the roof. "

"freesat" is the satellite version of "freeview" - allowing all areas of the uk to be able to access digital tv, as not all areas of the uk are covered by the "freeview" tv transmiters. it gets confusing as "freeview" has some channels that are not available on "freesat".

spain does not yet have its version of "freesat" - the main spanish tv channels are encrypted and only available via subscription to d+ and a satellite dish pointing to astra 1 (19east) or hispasat (30west).

Am I right in saying that I don't need a subscription to watch the free programmes as long as I got a digital TV?
erm...if you need a subscription then the channels are not free....

on TDT there are around 30 (ish) digital tv channels available for free with no subscription. there are at the moment no subscription channels on TDT - there just is not the space / frequencies available yet - but there will be when the old analogue channels get switched off during 2010

the UKs freeview service also has about 30plus free tv channels, but it also has the ability to subscribe to pay tv channels via topuptv.

Also has the aerial got to be in the roof or can it be indoor?
all you need are
a TDT receiver (inbuilt in some tvs) or a TDT settopbox
a TV aerial

an indoor tv aerial may get some channels but not all = ive not had much success even with a clear line of sight to the transmitter....
it is best to have an outdoor aerial, with as good as best line of sight to the tv transmitter and you may also require a signal amplifer

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 26th 2008 at 6:29 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Thanks very much Sat & PC Guy for your explanation.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

bertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nice

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
not normally, my southern most limit is usually calpe
but i may be able to stretch to albir since you are a BE member...
em or pm me and we shall discuss your requirements and what i can do for you more privately...
(em or pm me and we shall discuss your requirements and what i can do for you more privately...)[/QUOTE]

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink????

Last edited by bertibassett; Nov 29th 2008 at 3:38 pm.