Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV in English for 30€ one off payment

TV in English for 30€ one off payment

Old May 21st 2008, 9:37 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default TV in English for 30€ one off payment

Hi all,

Just for those that don't know, if you buy yourself a Spanish digital terrestrial television box (TDT, Media Mart do them starting from about 25€) you will receive about 30 free to air channels (more soon). Many of the programs (BBC documentaries, House MD, Sitcoms, Films, Sports) are bought in so are available in the source language (English). I've got Sky too but I find I am watching TDT about 80% of the time (and Sky 20%) so I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription as I'm fed up with the continual cycle of repeats which doesn't happen on the TDT.
Old May 21st 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV in English for 30€ one off payment

Originally Posted by bokeh
Hi all,

Just for those that don't know, if you buy yourself a Spanish digital terrestrial television box (TDT, Media Mart do them starting from about 25€) you will receive about 30 free to air channels (more soon). Many of the programs (BBC documentaries, House MD, Sitcoms, Films, Sports) are bought in so are available in the source language (English). I've got Sky too but I find I am watching TDT about 80% of the time (and Sky 20%) so I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription as I'm fed up with the continual cycle of repeats which doesn't happen on the TDT.
Interesting. I presume you will need a spanish aerial as well as the sky one?
Old May 21st 2008, 9:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

This is the route that we took. The picture is extremely clear, programmes help with listening to the Spanish language, no need for an unsightly dish so the house does not stand out as 'different' and we find that the odd sitcom or film in English is perfectly adequate for the amount of TV that we watch. Never watched soaps, sport etc in UK so no point in the hassle of SKY.

Rosemary
Old May 21st 2008, 10:18 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Interesting. I presume you will need a spanish aerial as well as the sky one?
Just a common-o-garden UHF TV antenna.
Old May 21st 2008, 10:18 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities
This is the route that we took. The picture is extremely clear, programmes help with listening to the Spanish language, no need for an unsightly dish so the house does not stand out as 'different' and we find that the odd sitcom or film in English is perfectly adequate for the amount of TV that we watch. Never watched soaps, sport etc in UK so no point in the hassle of SKY.

Rosemary
How much football is there?
Old May 21st 2008, 11:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just a common-o-garden UHF TV antenna.
That depends on how good a signal you are getting. For the best reception of TDT you need an aerial designed for digital and it needs to be the correct polarisation (vertical or horizontal depending on where you live).

Usually the digital signals are the opposite polarisation to the analog signals.

Televes are the most common ones in Spain - picture here

http://www.televes.com/espanol/produ....php?refe=1295

You are lucky if you can get 30 channels, even with a decent antenna we can only get about 4 as the nearest TDT transmitter is 80km away.
Old May 21st 2008, 11:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are lucky if you can get 30 channels, even with a decent antenna we can only get about 4 as the nearest TDT transmitter is 80km away.
I'm in a low spot surrounded by higher ground in the direction of the signal. I've got 15% signal strength and I get 27 channels. Obviously if you live in or near a major town this is not going to be a problem anyway. Also TDT is the future of TV in Spain; analogue is being switched off for good in a couple of years, so even if you haven't got a TDT transmitter on your doorstep now you are sure to have one shortly.
Originally Posted by CBANDY
It doesn't matter if you are in England or Spain if you want footie and lots of it you have to pay. It's the way the game has gone over the last 25 years and in the UK Sky seam to own the rights to every quality match. As to how much there is there on free to air TDT I would say it is comparable to the combined amount on BBC, ITV and Eurosport.

Last edited by bokeh; May 21st 2008 at 11:49 am.
Old May 21st 2008, 12:56 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Some Premiership matches were on La2 and Teledeporte, so i dare say they will be next season also....
Old May 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
Some Premiership matches were on La2 and Teledeporte, so i dare say they will be next season also....
The World Cup was on La Sexta plus quite a bit of other footie (the commentator is known for his catch phrase "tiqui taca").

Last edited by bokeh; May 21st 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

What exactly is Digital+? Do you get extra films etc?
We have TDT now but havent come across anything in english, as yet, but we are just coming over for holidays at the moment.
I am very ignorant on this subject!
Jenna
Old May 21st 2008, 3:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Loads and loads, Spanish matches and English matches in particular. In fact they are very hot on showing all sports.

Rosemary
Old May 21st 2008, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jenna m
What exactly is Digital+? Do you get extra films etc?
We have TDT now but havent come across anything in english, as yet, but we are just coming over for holidays at the moment.
I am very ignorant on this subject!
Jenna
Hi Jenna, The first audio channel, on TDT, is always in Spanish or the local language. To receive in the V.O. language (often English) you need to swap to the second audio channel. This also has the benefit on some channels that the advert breaks are muted.

Digital+ (satellite TV on Astra 1) is the result of a merger between Canal Satélite Digital and and Via Digital a few years ago. It is the Spanish equivalent of Sky TV at cost of, gulp, 61,95€ a month plus any pay TV film or football matches, "Taquilla", you subscribe to.

Last edited by bokeh; May 21st 2008 at 4:05 pm.
Old May 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

TOO BLOODY MUCH!!
Old May 21st 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Maurice is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know that if you have a DTT Set top box from the UK it works fine here in Spain, I have 2 and have no problem with them.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

TDT it is then for me -
thanks,

Last edited by jenna m; May 21st 2008 at 7:19 pm. Reason: spelling mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.