Reload this Page >

TV in Costa Blanca - help!!

TV in Costa Blanca - help!!

Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

logansdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV in Costa Blanca - help!!

Hello

We live in Altea, Costa Blanca, and need some advice about how to get the best TV service. Currently, we have an Internet-based service, which, to be frank, has turned into a complete fiasco! We don't have a contract, but pay monthly. Initially, a few months ago, it seemed to be generally OK, with a few minor probs. Now.........well, although we're supposed to get 'catch up' TV, it mainly 'freezes' or jumps ahead several minutes. The latest prob we're experiencing is live Tv 'freezing'!!! Our service provider (a one-man job in Benidorm) is 'blinding us with science', and although we were promised catch up TV, he now informs us that this is a'freebie' and not part of the deal! When we took the service, we were informed that we needed at least 2mbs to get a good service - we have between 9 and 10, and yet now we can't get live TV, he's blaming the 'ping' measurement!! in the past he's blamed our Internet supplier; although we don't have any problem with using our laptops, etc.!!

I freely admit to not being technically inclined when it comes to TV, but I'm not sure if we're being told the truth about this.......

Can anyone please advise me, in respect of how we can get a reasonable TV service, inc UK channels (if poss without a huge disk, as we don't have space for one). I'm not after miracles, just a decent service!!

Many thanks for any advice, information!!
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV in Costa Blanca - help!!

I assume your TV service is VPN based and you say the rest of your internet is fast. Your TV service could well be affected if you are using your ISP's DNS server. If you are, change them to google's public dns which may sort the problem

They are:-
Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:32 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

In some cases your problems can be down to your iptv service providers, and their servers.
In other cases your problems can be down to your internet provider.

And yes, although you may have a good download speed, ping is also important.

If you simply want channels from BBC ITV C4 and Five, then you dont need a "huge disk", one of 110x120 or 125x135 will do. And those, and about 100 mor channels are all available subscription free via satellite (although "catch up" if you want this needs a bit more - but you can always go for a recording freesat box and just record things instead). If you want Sky pay channels, then a sky digibox and monthly sky subscription is what you need.

But if you do not want a "disk" of that size, then you have the choice of changing your IPTV service provider, maybe to one that offers a 24 hour test so you can test the system works with your internet provider before you go for a full subscription....
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

When near El Campello, fot internet TV, I used Europa Network for UK channels. It works perfectly with 8mb. Another good alternative is FilmOn HQ (It must be the HQ version, the free SD version is not good, but will give you some idea of what is available). Check 'em out.

Last edited by Saxy; Dec 13th 2016 at 7:59 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:22 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but this has to be slightly technical. In order to watch British TV when you are physically outside Britton you need to appear to be inside Britain to the television company. VPN will make you look as though you are inside the UK by providing an encrypted tunnel between where you are and somewhere in England.

Using this tunnel means that your Internet provider your ISP cannot know what the tunnel contains if they knew it was a video then they would assign higher priority but they cannot know. As a result your TV viewing appears to ISP to be Internet browsing which is much lower priority and can be delivered much more slowly.

It would be normal for a 10 meg connection to have one meg or similar available for the tunnel, and there is nothing that you or they can do about that. If you buy a bigger connection, frequently the tunnel will be allocated more but not necessarily, if you can just do it for a month without further obligation, do try.

My best suggestion to you would be to buy a high-quality VPN service and just connect yourselves to it. It's a well-known Maxim, nobody was a good VPN service ever reveals who they are as popularity makes them more likely to get blocking issues with tv companies, but I guarantee you the best ones Are never free and Are the ones that are used commercially.

Your dns provider can provide A tiny bit of security extra [this form of protection has been nullified by many tv companies] typically from the vpn providers. There is no truth in that the DNS providers performance will affect your ability to stream information. DNS stands for domain name services effectively when you ask to go to www.google.com this has to be turned into an address like 1.2.3.4 but this is one off for that address and has no impact during streaming.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Dec 13th 2016 at 8:30 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

You do not need a VPN for Europa Network of FilmOn!!
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:47 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Fine, good for them, that's not true for filmon in Latin America, but it's up to each provider company how they secure their content. They are in turn driven by the content license holders. In the uk, the BBC are removing their content from platforms that aren't secured to the uk, and securing their iPlayer catch-up service, but it's all down to different providers.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice, EllisG. How do I actually change to google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)? Please bear in mind, my technical savvy is practically zilch :-). Many thanks
Old Dec 13th 2016, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice. I'm now re-reading all of the replies, which I really appreciate.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Saxy, I will check these out. Much obliged.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your advice and detailed response.....You say "My best suggestion to you would be to buy a high-quality VPN service and just connect yourselves to it" How easy is that to do and how would I go about it? Thank you!
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:27 pm

Find a decent provider that has solutions for all the types of device you use eg tablets or mac or a specific router type ?? then follow their instructions. If its free forget it, you need some orgnisation that runs commercial solutions and a support team and gets paid to provide them. Read avidly, read reviews of people who use the services you want to use and who recommend/use a solution. Is it easy, well if you are a technophobe no, dont even try, if you are reasonably competant it shouldnt be too hard.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Most users in Spain who need access to geoblocked sites use a Smart DNS service. There are many available and they give access to most of the sites that you are likely to want to use. Very much easier to set up than a VPN and virtually no drop in speed.

The only site I know of that needs a VPN is Netflix UK or US. It much less of a problem now as Netflix is available in Spain now with 90% of the full catalogue available.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by logansdad
Hello

We live in Altea, Costa Blanca, and need some advice about how to get the best TV service. Currently, we have an Internet-based service, which, to be frank, has turned into a complete fiasco! We don't have a contract, but pay monthly. Initially, a few months ago, it seemed to be generally OK, with a few minor probs. Now.........well, although we're supposed to get 'catch up' TV, it mainly 'freezes' or jumps ahead several minutes. The latest prob we're experiencing is live Tv 'freezing'!!! Our service provider (a one-man job in Benidorm) is 'blinding us with science', and although we were promised catch up TV, he now informs us that this is a'freebie' and not part of the deal! When we took the service, we were informed that we needed at least 2mbs to get a good service - we have between 9 and 10, and yet now we can't get live TV, he's blaming the 'ping' measurement!! in the past he's blamed our Internet supplier; although we don't have any problem with using our laptops, etc.!!

I freely admit to not being technically inclined when it comes to TV, but I'm not sure if we're being told the truth about this.......

Can anyone please advise me, in respect of how we can get a reasonable TV service, inc UK channels (if poss without a huge disk, as we don't have space for one). I'm not after miracles, just a decent service!!

Many thanks for any advice, information!!

Hi, I live in Benidorm and we have movistar fibre optic internet installed and I purchased an Internet tv box from a company local to you. I've had it for about two years and am watching sky news at the moment with a good picture. I can get about every news, movie, box sets and about everything else you can think of!

The internet tv box was a one off price, plug in and ready to go.

If you are interested enough you can send me a PM and I'll give you the website.

Regards,
Steve