British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   which TV aerial? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tv-aerial-709481/)

twistedmelon Mar 15th 2011 6:42 pm

which TV aerial?

People say an aerial is an aerial is an aerial. I have the old type which seems to work just fine......however I notice that nearly almost all mi vecinos have changed over to the new rabbit ear type.
So my question is, do the new type really make any difference to the reception? I did read somewhere that it's possible that your location may make a difference to reception.
On the couple of HD channels there are here I can't say that I can see a great difference in quality to the others but then maybe this is to do with the aerial.
Any thoughts?

The Guy Mar 15th 2011 6:56 pm

Re: which TV aerial?

Yes and aerial is an aerial.
There is no such thing as a digital TV aerial, only a tv aerial.
But there are others which are better for low reception areas.
And better with masthead amplifer and indoor power source.

Many Spaniards had NEW aerial installed as they were still using their old aerial for the few remaining local analogue channels.

On some of the HD channels I do notice a difference, especially TVE HD. BUt thats down to the receiver / TV not aerial (as I can get TVE HD on an indoor aerial, my own roof top aerial, and even without any aerial at all and just the end of the cable in the right direction!)

twistedmelon Mar 16th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 9241922)
Yes and aerial is an aerial.
There is no such thing as a digital TV aerial, only a tv aerial.
But there are others which are better for low reception areas.
And better with masthead amplifer and indoor power source.

Many Spaniards had NEW aerial installed as they were still using their old aerial for the few remaining local analogue channels.

On some of the HD channels I do notice a difference, especially TVE HD. BUt thats down to the receiver / TV not aerial (as I can get TVE HD on an indoor aerial, my own roof top aerial, and even without any aerial at all and just the end of the cable in the right direction!)

TG,
As usual many thanks for your reply and great advice.
I got the impression that many people bought new aerials on the MISunderstanding that they where especially for digital but as you say there is no such thing as digital aerials.
Happy I'm not going to waste 40€ on one:thumbup:Many thanks for that.

moblies Mar 17th 2011 12:53 pm

Hi, Not meaning to highjack the thread but have a similar situation, I'm slightly inland from Guarduamar just south of Alicante and since last year sometime I stopped receiving any tv channels on my digital setup box. (tdt) I took it back to the uk plugged itn and searched fine and found all channels.

Took it back to Spain and the search found no channels. We have two aerials cabled into a Masthead amp with one output (Televes) although we have never had a power supply for it. (New Build)

I was going to take a new mastehead amp and power supply from the UK and a digital signal finder and redo the cable and probably remove one of the aerials.

I think the second one is FM reception as we have as tv and Radio socket in each room so the televes box is I guess acting as a splitter.

Just Cant think why I was receiving digital TV then al of a sudden stopped.

I assume my TV signal finder will work in Spain?

Any help would be appreciated.

twistedmelon Mar 17th 2011 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by moblies (Post 9245970)
Hi, Not meaning to highjack the thread but have a similar situation, I'm slightly inland from Guarduamar just south of Alicante and since last year sometime I stopped receiving any tv channels on my digital setup box. (tdt) I took it back to the uk plugged itn and searched fine and found all channels.

Took it back to Spain and the search found no channels. We have two aerials cabled into a Masthead amp with one output (Televes) although we have never had a power supply for it. (New Build)

I was going to take a new mastehead amp and power supply from the UK and a digital signal finder and redo the cable and probably remove one of the aerials.

I think the second one is FM reception as we have as tv and Radio socket in each room so the televes box is I guess acting as a splitter.

Just Cant think why I was receiving digital TV then al of a sudden stopped.

I assume my TV signal finder will work in Spain?

Any help would be appreciated.

Well I'm no expert but it sounds as if something has become disconnected or the splitter is broken.
Get to basics and maybe try connecting an aerial directly to box, an indoor aerial can pick upsome channels, at least that way you can check box.

moblies Mar 17th 2011 4:54 pm

Will do, does seem a little strange.

I'll probably take a few bits with me just incase.

Many Thanks

The Guy Mar 17th 2011 4:59 pm

Masthead amplifers do tend to require a sepertae power supply to work, but in somecases a TDT reciers can also "power the antennae" via the options.

Check all the cables, check the splitters, check the connections in the wall plates etc...

moblies Mar 17th 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for that

Would a UK digital signal finder work? I have one I used to tweak the tv aerial here for freeview?

The Guy Mar 17th 2011 10:46 pm

Cant see why not....as lomng as it can dectect Spanish TDT frequencies, and not just TDT frequencies.
see tdt1.com for TDT frequencies in your area....