tv

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default tv

can anyone tell me if I buy a skybox and bring it to Spain will it work with a satilite dish. My brother in law has a holiday apartment and I wanted to bring him a present, he doesn't subscribe to sky but has a hugh satilite dish, would that be enough to pick up some English speaking channels? What is the best way to get channels?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:56 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tv

Yes a sky box will work in Spain.
Without a card it will receive the "free to air" channels like BBC ITV C4 and Fives.
With a card it will receive the Sky pay channels.

Perhaps, if you do not want to subscribe to Sky, consider a Freesat box, specifically designed for the free UK TV channels.

But reception of channels depends where you are in Spain and the size of the dish.
Some areas of Spain can get away with a 1m dish for BBC ITV C4s and Fives, other areas need 2-3m+.
All covered, along with alternate methods, in depth in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-spain-794446/

Last edited by The Guy; Jun 22nd 2014 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:09 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The important questions are; how huge is the huge sky dish and where exactly in Spain is the apartment.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Guy
Yes a sky box will work in Spain.
Without a card it will receive the "free to air" channels like BBC ITV C4 and Fives.
With a card it will receive the Sky pay channels.

Perhaps, if you do not want to subscribe to Sky, consider a Freesat box, specifically designed for the free UK TV channels.

But reception of channels depends where you are in Spain and the size of the dish.
Some areas of Spain can get away with a 1m dish for BBC ITV C4s and Fives, other areas need 2-3m+.
All covered, along with alternate methods, in depth in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-spain-794446/
In most of Spain you will you not receive the free to air channels like BBC etc. I think the reception stops around Costa Blanca, unless you know something different.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, it extends down into Murcia with a 1.8m dish.

The south coast needs 3m plus which is rarely practicable.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 1.45 dish in Murcia.
C 4 is not good but on the HD it is fine. BBC breaks up a bit, as does ITV during the morning, otherwise no problems.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Agnes
In most of Spain you will you not receive the free to air channels like BBC etc. I think the reception stops around Costa Blanca, unless you know something different.
Spain is a VERY large country. I would suggest that most of Spain DOES receive "free to air" channels.

The further South you go, the less well they are received. There will always be 'black/dead spots' as well.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you The Guy, he lives in AndalucĂ­a, and he has a really large dish, I will try it anyway and see what happens. Thanks again Denise
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

He is in Peurto Banus quite high up in the hills, and his dish is really large, so I'm hoping he will get some channels. Some people are saying the further south you go the less likely it will be to get it,does that include the Marbella area?

Last edited by dgjamison; Jun 22nd 2014 at 7:25 pm. Reason: add another question
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimenato
The important questions are; how huge is the huge sky dish and where exactly in Spain is the apartment.
Oh Dear does this mean Malaga is too far south?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

Mr Juncker is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to say that we have used various boxes when in the Alicante region.
Since the 'change' I would say that some channels are stronger but some are weaker. In any case we consider ourselves to be fortunate compared to other regions.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Oh Dear does this mean Malaga is too far south?
Yes, it does. I am not aware of anyone getting a suitable signal and have seen reports that you cannot even get it on a 3m dish.

Anything bigger is actually almost taller than the average 1 storey house!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by dgjamison
He is in Peurto Banus quite high up in the hills, and his dish is really large, so I'm hoping he will get some channels. Some people are saying the further south you go the less likely it will be to get it,does that include the Marbella area?
Just for your information, Puerto Banus is a marina, not surprisingly at sea level. If it was quite high up in the hills, then the huge yachts in there might have some difficulty getting out!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:19 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

The signals extend all over Spain.
However, dish sizes required to receive them may not be to everyone's liking...
I know that in some areas of AndalucĂ­a 1.8m dishes are getting signals fine...

Originally Posted by Fred James
The south coast needs 3m plus which is rarely practicable.
In the old 2D days Greece and Cyrpus had 4m dishes, so if people want their TV direct from the satellite they will can so...

Originally Posted by Neptuno
I have a 1.45 dish in Murcia.
C 4 is not good but on the HD it is fine. BBC breaks up a bit, as does ITV during the morning, otherwise no problems.
BBC ITV C4s and Fives are on the UK beams of 2e and 2f.

C4HD (some ITV1 and some BBC HD regions) is on the UK beam of 2F,
C4 (some iTV1s, most BBC regions) is on the Uk beam of 2E.
Although these two satellites are of the same make and model and specification, their footprint / signal power is about 10-15% different.

Hence varying reception depending which version or region you are watching.

Originally Posted by Mr Juncker
Since the 'change' I would say that some channels are stronger but some are weaker. In any case we consider ourselves to be fortunate compared to other regions.
Where as in the old 2D days we were worse off than other areas....
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Just for your information, Puerto Banus is a marina, not surprisingly at sea level. If it was quite high up in the hills, then the huge yachts in there might have some difficulty getting out!
His apartment is about 2 miles from the Marina, close to Aloha Golf course, all I know is it is uphill from the Marina Hope that makes sense, don't think all apartments in Puerto Banus are at the Marina or should I have said AndalucĂ­a?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.