Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

Old May 26th 2011, 8:16 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I play blues guitar;-) (At least I did, until I had to sell my beloved Dobro:-( )
Between us we should be able to manage a bit of Cajun
Country? I'd die for it. Cajun? - I'm wavering on my way to New Orleans. Dobro? I'm a Fender man, I like to bend it, bend it, bend it - and I'm sad to report that I'm now a twelve string man, I don't bend nothing (I can't) and still play Dylan, the traitor.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by avocados
A black money thrives for no other reason than greed and selfishness. Nothing whatsoever to do with taxes.
You are forgetting self preservation.

Why would anyone pay autonomos at the moment when that could possible help buy food for the family?
Old May 26th 2011, 8:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
You are forgetting self preservation.

Why would anyone pay autonomos at the moment when that could possible help buy food for the family?
So true.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:58 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
A black money thrives for no other reason than greed and selfishness.

Nothing whatsoever to do with taxes.
The Spanish only care for themselves...me me me. If they can get away with paying no tax, it's a pat on the back.

The so called "Crisis" is the current excuse for not paying taxes. People are even quite open about it on official business......"There's a crisis. Why would I pay tax?!"

Just like the unemployment statistics.....doesn't give a real indication of what's happening in the country. Many have opted out of legal employment for the black market, cash in hand method.

Impossible to police, as it's endemic.
I dont think so, with a lot of business, it is not through greed, it is for survial, and for the workers who work in the black it is through necessity, otherwise they might not have any job at all.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I am a blues fanatic, post some on youtube and put a link on here.
Very Rural blues. Not to everyone's taste.
I was once "up and coming". Now I'm an old has been. Never quite got to the bit in the middle because of finding a good man. Spontaneous outbursts of contentment aren't conducive to the Blues. Actually it's around 15 years since I played gigs! Still, PM me a place to send a CD and I'll post one out. Can be a friends house or a po box or whatever for your privacy.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Very Rural blues. Not to everyone's taste.
I was once "up and coming". Now I'm an old has been. Never quite got to the bit in the middle because of finding a good man. Spontaneous outbursts of contentment aren't conducive to the Blues. Actually it's around 15 years since I played gigs! Still, PM me a place to send a CD and I'll post one out. Can be a friends house or a po box or whatever for your privacy.
Oye, you be ****ing careful. You're being silly posting all those personal details.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Oye, you be ****ing careful. You're being silly posting all those personal details.
That`s why I said put it on youtube an post a link.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s why I said put it on youtube an post a link.
Not my best performance but I've never uploaded anything. This is around 16 years old now. I love Pat's harp on this. The picture is Pat BTW not me
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Did you know? If you employ illegal workers and if/when they are caught by the hacienda and policia local, YOU are liable to pay their taxes and fines, as you are deemed responsible to verify the legality of anyone you employ.

True or false? Anyone had to do that?
Getting us back to the thread for a little bit, my recent UK experience is that the law states an employer has to check the Right to Work in the (UK), such as passport, visa if non EU etc etc. Many large orgs, including City of Westminster council, have been caught out by not having a robust system of checks in place, so it isn't just the small guys this applies to.

And yes, the fines etc are quite draconian - but it is the law.

The UKBA have a comprehensive leaflet of 83 pages http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary which gives all the information they require. I see no reason why Spain, Portugal or any other EU country would not have the same requirements.

In the UK many jobs are advertised requiring proof of right to work.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:41 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, missed this bit off.....

"Who is an employer?
An employer is defined as a person (or company) who employs an individual under a contract of employment."

So if you are a builder and take someone on for a job then you must check his bona-fides and keep records that you have done so
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:54 am

On this theme. Can anyone explain what a "Shell company" is please? (not the petro chemical one!) someone I know heard from a recruiting company that there was a job going in her area if she could be paid through a "shell company" is this some kind of sneaky trick. Or is it a normal thing? I'm assuming the company was British but wanted workers in Spain. Don't know any more than that.
Bsed on UK experience. This is a trick\scam\useful aid (take your pick) from recruitment agencies. They start a "shell company" who employs you on a self employed basis for the contract offered by the agency. The shell receives the payment for the job and passes monies on to you less a handling fee. As you are self employed you can charge travel costs and a small amount for lunch !!

This all comes about because of the draconian IR35 rules of the Inland Revenue (now HMRC) which was used to target IT workers who were employed on a self employed contract for 2-3 years. They were employed thru their personal Ltd co, took a notional salary for tax purposes then paid themselves huge sums via company dividends. But only had the one contract and were doing work that was instructed and controlled by the employer, which means "directly employed" There has been a very long running court case about an IT guy who did this and think it has gone to just about every court in the land. There is a huge raft of companies who provide "shell" company status or assist people who may fall foul of the IR35.

So theoretically, it is a legal way of circumventing the tax regulations and putting a corporate body between you and the employer.

hth
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dominosafety
Bsed on UK experience. This is a trick\scam\useful aid (take your pick) from recruitment agencies. They start a "shell company" who employs you on a self employed basis for the contract offered by the agency. The shell receives the payment for the job and passes monies on to you less a handling fee. As you are self employed you can charge travel costs and a small amount for lunch !!

This all comes about because of the draconian IR35 rules of the Inland Revenue (now HMRC) which was used to target IT workers who were employed on a self employed contract for 2-3 years. They were employed thru their personal Ltd co, took a notional salary for tax purposes then paid themselves huge sums via company dividends. But only had the one contract and were doing work that was instructed and controlled by the employer, which means "directly employed" There has been a very long running court case about an IT guy who did this and think it has gone to just about every court in the land. There is a huge raft of companies who provide "shell" company status or assist people who may fall foul of the IR35.

So theoretically, it is a legal way of circumventing the tax regulations and putting a corporate body between you and the employer.

hth
Absolute rubbish! Check www.shout99.co.uk for up-to-date information. Shell companies aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by noelrosie
Absolute rubbish! Check www.shout99.co.uk for up-to-date information. Shell companies aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Absolute rubbish ? ? I never said shell companies were worth the paper they are written on. My partner was taken on by an agency and pushed into dealing with a shell - who cost her more than it was worth. I was offered consultancy\contracting work via an agency shell but started my own ltd company as I prefer the control.

I do remember using the word trick and the word scam - but I don't think I actually extolled their virtues just gave an indication of what they are about. A Google for "IR35" will bring up many companies who act as shell companies, taking contractors "under their wing" and companies offering advice to uk contractors on how to circumvent it "to the satisfaction of HMRC". How good they are haven't a clue. Most of the people I know in consulting\contracting have their own ltd.

As I can remember when IR35 first came out all I can say is You take your choice and live with it.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dominosafety
Absolute rubbish ? ? I never said shell companies were worth the paper they are written on. My partner was taken on by an agency and pushed into dealing with a shell - who cost her more than it was worth. I was offered consultancy\contracting work via an agency shell but started my own ltd company as I prefer the control.

I do remember using the word trick and the word scam - but I don't think I actually extolled their virtues just gave an indication of what they are about. A Google for "IR35" will bring up many companies who act as shell companies, taking contractors "under their wing" and companies offering advice to uk contractors on how to circumvent it "to the satisfaction of HMRC". How good they are haven't a clue. Most of the people I know in consulting\contracting have their own ltd.

As I can remember when IR35 first came out all I can say is You take your choice and live with it.
As we have also been in consulting contracting since before IR35 first came out and lived with its legacy I was concerned that anyone would ever use the word 'useful aid' in response to shell companies, even if you did suggest that the poster took their pick of words to describe them! They ARE a scam!