Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

Old May 24th 2011, 4:57 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

Did you know? If you employ illegal workers and if/when they are caught by the hacienda and policia local, YOU are liable to pay their taxes and fines, as you are deemed responsible to verify the legality of anyone you employ.

True or false? Anyone had to do that?
Old May 24th 2011, 5:21 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: True or False? Illegal Workers (cash jobs)

Similar to the UK, where a company is liable if they employ "self employed" personnel who default on their tax liabilty.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Did you know? If you employ illegal workers and if/when they are caught by the hacienda and policia local, YOU are liable to pay their taxes and fines, as you are deemed responsible to verify the legality of anyone you employ.

True or false? Anyone had to do that?
I believe that is true but I doubt that too many people are caught as it is going to be very difficult to enforce.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I have know of a few employers who have been caught employing people on the black.

They have been heavily fined, had to give the person a legal contract and pay some of the back social security payments.

I have also heard of people who have been given a warning and told to put the workers on cantracts, but other than that no sanctions.

I dont know in the case of "illegals", people who have no paperwork to be in the country.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have know of a few employers who have been caught employing people on the black.

They have been heavily fined, had to give the person a legal contract and pay some of the back social security payments.

I have also heard of people who have been given a warning and told to put the workers on cantracts, but other than that no sanctions.

I dont know in the case of "illegals", people who have no paperwork to be in the country.
which really doesn't explain why my ex-boss in the now-closed-down language school was horrified when I said I was registered & paid as autonoma
Old May 24th 2011, 6:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
which really doesn't explain why my ex-boss in the now-closed-down language school was horrified when I said I was registered & paid as autonoma
I dont understand your post, sorry
Old May 25th 2011, 4:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand your post, sorry
since they apparently can be fined for employing illegals, you'd think she would have been pleased I was legal

but she wasn't - she didn't want me to declare what I earned there - which would mean I was working there on the black - illegally

that's why I was confused
Old May 25th 2011, 6:42 am
Banned

since they apparently can be fined for employing illegals, you'd think she would have been pleased I was legal

but she wasn't - she didn't want me to declare what I earned there - which would mean I was working there on the black - illegally

Gotcha

They were probably upset,because they would have declared that they were such a small concern that they could not afford any employees and did all the work themselves, and you legal status threw a spanner in the works.

There are scams and scammers everywhere.

My marida knows an English guy who sells to bars, crisps nuts, prepacked bacon, and other british goods.

He drives a UK registered van,unrefridgerated to boot, and claims that he is a British registered company, and pays his VAT in the UK.

Somone brings his stuff over for him and he has lived here for years, but is not selfemployed here, I dont know how he gets away with it.

He has preople helping him out for a daily rate......
Old May 25th 2011, 7:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha

They were probably upset,because they would have declared that they were such a small concern that they could not afford any employees and did all the work themselves, and you legal status threw a spanner in the works.

There are scams and scammers everywhere.

My marida knows an English guy who sells to bars, crisps nuts, prepacked bacon, and other british goods.

He drives a UK registered van,unrefridgerated to boot, and claims that he is a British registered company, and pays his VAT in the UK.

Somone brings his stuff over for him and he has lived here for years, but is not selfemployed here, I dont know how he gets away with it.

He has preople helping him out for a daily rate......
He's going to end up with nil pension contributions in either country. Unless of course he's claiming benefit whilst working illegally in Spain. Plus there's the health issue. He's exactly the person who should be operating as autonomo - if he's doing well enough to hire help, the fee wouldn't be too oppressive and a good accountant or gestor would help him avoid paying much tax.
Still his choice, I suppose...
Old May 25th 2011, 7:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I was once told that it costs almost as much again to employ someone legally as they get in salary. That is, the cost of employment is so high that many companies try and avoid it. However, that should really encourage companies to employ autonomos rather than staff on contracts

I'm not quite sure how companies can ensure than autonomos are paying their taxes - surely they've done all they can by inspecting the individuals paperwork.

Back to the question from the OP - everyone has assumed that Grapeeater was referring to companies employing illegal workers are liable (probably true) but what about an individual having some work done? Are they liable as well? Is, perhaps, that what the OP was referring to?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I was once told that it costs almost as much again to employ someone legally as they get in salary. That is, the cost of employment is so high that many companies try and avoid it. However, that should really encourage companies to employ autonomos rather than staff on contracts

I'm not quite sure how companies can ensure than autonomos are paying their taxes - surely they've done all they can by inspecting the individuals paperwork.

Back to the question from the OP - everyone has assumed that Grapeeater was referring to companies employing illegal workers are liable (probably true) but what about an individual having some work done? Are they liable as well? Is, perhaps, that what the OP was referring to?
The thing is not many companies can get away with "employing"self employed people, most jobs cant.
The only way they can do that, legally and ethically, is when someone give a service, and they anre not employed, they get paid at the end of the month for their service.
So the self employed person is "freelance" with the "employer" as a client, so to speak.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh

the company employing the person in question does not have to know that the person is paying tax, they need to see that they are legal though but if the SS, Hacienda, or any other government body have not been paid, they can force the "employer" to deduct money from their client and pay the debts into the creditors bank account directly.

If that person leaves their employ, all such payments cease andit will be the responsibility of the new employer.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:04 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
He's going to end up with nil pension contributions in either country. Unless of course he's claiming benefit whilst working illegally in Spain. Plus there's the health issue. He's exactly the person who should be operating as autonomo - if he's doing well enough to hire help, the fee wouldn't be too oppressive and a good accountant or gestor would help him avoid paying much tax.
Still his choice, I suppose...
Exactly. I know someone who has been in Spain 20 years. He has paid no contributions in either country and is now 50 years old. I wonder if they worry about it.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
He's going to end up with nil pension contributions in any country.

Many choose to pay the 2.50 per week class 2 contributions in the UK, thus ensuring a UK pension.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

On this theme. Can anyone explain what a "Shell company" is please? (not the petro chemical one!) someone I know heard from a recruiting company that there was a job going in her area if she could be paid through a "shell company" is this some kind of sneaky trick. Or is it a normal thing? I'm assuming the company was British but wanted workers in Spain. Don't know any more than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.