Is this true?

Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this true?

Originally Posted by bethsmyls
Wow! Didn't realise Sheffield was so cheap. But it's not just that. I want to get out of the UK. I find it increasingly depressing here.

If I was on my own, I'd just buy a tiny townhouse in Portugal and live there no worries. When we were looking before, I found some that I could afford in areas I know and like. I've lived abroad on my own before. I pick up languages easily. I have steady work at a higher wage than local salaries.

It's my OH making a living that is the biggest barrier to us moving anywhere. It's one of those things where you just can't know if it's viable or not, and everyone says something different,
A good friend of mine says one house two countries. He is refering to Ayamonte the border town on the Gurdiana River. We live in Costa Esuri a Suburb of Ayamonte where plots are currently for sale at €26000 some very build able. One of those and a Cube house and you could get what you want for about €100000 don't forget there are lots of development costs to be added to the plot and cube. Your husband could then tap into the Algarve market and Spanish market. Don't be fixated on the CDS Spain is a very big beautiful diverse country and Portugal is right next door and very accessible if you live on the border.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

bethsmyls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks John. Bit out of our budget still, but it's nice to read a solution-focused post with some positive ideas. It's given me food for thought. We could definitely buy just on the other side of the border in Portugal - there is some very cheap property on the border just North of the Algarve, and the buying process itself seems to be cheaper too. Social security contributions are not as steep either in Portugal. Indeed, one house, two countries - why not?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Where can you buy a house for £50k or so in the UK?!
Morecambe Bay, East Lancashire countryside, Pendle, West Yorkshire. They would all get you well away from the cesspit of London that you hate so much. And with beautiful countryside and landscapr gardens within easy reach.
Both Spain or Italy have lots going for them if you have lots of money.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John. Bit out of our budget still, but it's nice to read a solution-focused post with some positive ideas. It's given me food for thought. We could definitely buy just on the other side of the border in Portugal - there is some very cheap property on the border just North of the Algarve, and the buying process itself seems to be cheaper too. Social security contributions are not as steep either in Portugal. Indeed, one house, two countries - why not?
Our nearest restaurant is in Monte Francisco just across the river from us in fact it is an incredible hamlet population can't be more than 2000 has 5 cafe/restaurants a community centered sport/social club always something going on Saturday night dances and so on and the friendliest people. In 2004 we plumped for Spain it was cheaper than Portugal then it may be the other way now after the crisis and 5+ years of PP running the show!
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ononno
Morecambe Bay, East Lancashire countryside, Pendle, West Yorkshire. They would all get you well away from the cesspit of London that you hate so much. And with beautiful countryside and landscapr gardens within easy reach.
Both Spain or Italy have lots going for them if you have lots of money.
Haha I don't hate London. It's the UK in general I'd prefer to get away from. Thanks for the tips though. I really didn't think anywhere buying anywhere in the UK was possible without a mortgage. It's nice to be proved wrong on that.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Our nearest restaurant is in Monte Francisco just across the river from us in fact it is an incredible hamlet population can't be more than 2000 has 5 cafe/restaurants a community centered sport/social club always something going on Saturday night dances and so on and the friendliest people. In 2004 we plumped for Spain it was cheaper than Portugal then it may be the other way now after the crisis and 5+ years of PP running the show!
Every country has its pros and cons with property. Apparently in Portugal, you just never know how long a sale can take to go through if you buy an older property, as it may well belong to several inheritees from a couple of generations who all have to complete the paperwork too. So it could take a few weeks and it could take a year and a half! But the buying process is cheaper, with less tax to pay (very little on cheaper homes).

The income tax system is less harsh too, with more reasonable allowances for the self-employed and lower earners, so if you were starting up a business it would be easier.

Where you live sounds very nice and like you're making the most of it. I'm glad you found a lovely place that works for you.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the same in many countries Spain, Italy,Greece, Bulgaria. Many homes are handed down and have multiple owners. It can take an age to work through it. Sometimmes folk give up.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
It is the same in many countries Spain, Italy,Greece, Bulgaria. Many homes are handed down and have multiple owners. It can take an age to work through it. Sometimmes folk give up.
I didn't know that. Thanks. Must be very frustrating if you've found somewhere you really like.