British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Trick or Treat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/trick-treat-737458/)

megmet Nov 1st 2011 11:37 pm

Re: Trick or Treat

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9707100)
It goes way back as long ago as I can remember in the N.E. and well before that I believe and was often known as guising.
Sometimes a group of them came in the house, an area of floor would be cleared and they'd put on a brief but very lively show of some sort.

In north east Lancashire we had the Mummers, it's a very long time ago so I've only a vague memory of it......

As I remember they used to wear turbans and had painted faces, they all wore a striped pinny (apron) and had dusters.
They would come in the house and start dusting while all the time going mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm, they would be given some small change but the only thing they would say was mmmmmm.

(that's the nearest I can get to the sound they made) :)

Dick Dasterdly Nov 1st 2011 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9709431)
In north east Lancashire we had the Mummers, it's a very long time ago so I've only a vague memory of it......

As I remember they used to wear turbans and had painted faces, they all wore a striped pinny (apron) and had dusters.
They would come in the house and start dusting while all the time going mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm, they would be given some small change but the only thing they would say was mmmmmm.

(that's the nearest I can get to the sound they made) :)

Mmmmm, strange buggers you Lancastrians, mmmm very strange indeed. ;)

megmet Nov 1st 2011 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9709444)
Mmmmm, strange buggers you Lancastrians, mmmm very strange indeed. ;)

:p :rofl:

Fredbargate Nov 2nd 2011 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sonnyc (Post 9709342)
HI, I am from the posh part of Newcastle (Scotswood Elswick and Benwell) and have to admit I've never heard of it.

Do you paint the coal white before you go first footing ???

Dick Dasterdly Nov 2nd 2011 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9709890)
Do you paint the coal white before you go first footing ???

:rofl:
Of course they do, but they have to wash it properly first.

sonnyc Nov 2nd 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9709365)
....and here's me thinking that all the posh baggers live ap at Gorsforth.

In any event that probably explains it, either that or you're not so long in the tooth as me.
Guising was certainly a common thing around all the pit villages in my neck of the woods, but there again maybe it was all different for all you posh city types. ;)

HI DICK, Is 76 next birthday long enough??

Dick Dasterdly Nov 2nd 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sonnyc (Post 9710083)
HI DICK, Is 76 next birthday long enough??

Err right, :huh:

In that case I presume you had much better things to occupy your minds in your younger days in your neck of the woods......or should I not ask ? ;)

Lynn R Nov 2nd 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9709940)
:rofl:
Of course they do, but they have to wash it properly first.

Well at least it would be in the right place for that, as everyone knows we in the North keep our coal in the bath!:D

sonnyc Nov 2nd 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9710152)
Err right, :huh:

In that case I presume you had much better things to occupy your minds in your younger days in your neck of the woods......or should I not ask ? ;)

Your right,
Often think of missed opertunities when the blood dropped below the waist.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 2nd 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9710395)
Well at least it would be in the right place for that, as everyone knows we in the North keep our coal in the bath!:D

Reminds me of this old girl up our way not so long ago who used to go into the local coal depot every week.
She had an ancient possibly siver cross pram and lined up in the queue of big trucks, some transporting big bulk loads of coal to power stations, others delivering locally.
First she took her turn on the massive weighbridge and got weighed-in empty, before filling up her pram with a shovel and then joining the big truck queue to weigh-in loaded, and pay on the way back out.
I recall she had quite a walk along a busy trunk road after that to push her pram-load all the way back to her house.

megmet Nov 2nd 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9710395)

Of course we do! ;):rofl:

tex_ritter Nov 8th 2011 12:24 pm

"Penny for the guy" when I was a lad back in ye oldie days this 'Trick or Treat' is another American idea. When the first lot knock just give them one wine gum each and the word on the street is your a tight old git and the others don't come a knocking.

Fredbargate Nov 8th 2011 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by tex_ritter (Post 9720633)
"Penny for the guy" when I was a lad back in ye oldie days this 'Trick or Treat' is another American idea. When the first lot knock just give them one wine gum each and the word on the street is your a tight old git and the others don't come a knocking.

We Brits celebrate the failed Suicide Bomber

The yanks would just incarcerate him on an island and pretend it's not part of the USA so human rights don't exist

Dick Dasterdly Nov 8th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9720693)
We Brits celebrate the failed Suicide Bomber

The yanks would just incarcerate him on an island and pretend it's not part of the USA so human rights don't exist

???

I always thought we were celebrating the death of a terrorist and the detection and prevention of his evil plot, rather than celebrating the guy,(scuse the pun), himself. :unsure:

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 8th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9721200)
???

I always thought we were celebrating the death of a terrorist and the detection and prevention of his evil plot, rather than celebrating the guy,(scuse the pun), himself. :unsure:

We are. Celebrating the capture of Guy Fawkes and the saviour of the then King.