Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travelling to UK with Spain Article 10 residency card

Travelling to UK with Spain Article 10 residency card

Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Ellie95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to UK with Spain Article 10 residency card

Hi all. So we are travelling to the UK soon for christmas and our son's christening. I am a British citizen who was been working here in Spain as a self employed autonomo since the beginning of the year and my husband who does not hold an EU passport has an article 10 residency card issued by Extranjeria. I know that you can travel to the UK or other EU countries with an article 10 card for short term visits.

The problem is, on my husband's card they entered his date of birth wrong. Instead of the 8th of November they entered the 6th, but the year of birth is correct. We applied at Policia Nacional. We pointed it out straight away on collection and they gave us a case reference number and said we can continue using the card until we return and collect a new one after another 45 days (and I assume they will destroy this one). Obviously by the time we get the new card it will be past xmas and our son's christening.

We have all the other documentation we submitted during the application process that showed we entered the date of birth correctly as well. I am just concerned about whether we will have issues once we get to the UK border. Do we tell the border staff straight away when we are requesting clearence- because we obviously have nothing to hide- or do we wait for them to spot the discrepency and then explain the issue with the accompanying documentation?

TIA
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to UK with Spain Article 10 residency card

The advice seems to be that they will also require a valid passport and a marriage certificate as proof that he is truly a family member. I suspect you will have trouble if they pick up the fact that the birth dates don't tally. if they don't fine otherwise you will have to put the error down to the inefficiency of the Spanish. I'm sure you will be believed!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Rspltd. Yes we will have our marriage certificate that was apostilled and he does have his valid passport. I also have all the evidence of my self employment here in Spain. So you reckon, in your opinion, we're best not mentioning it- then if they spot it and pull us up on it I show them the documentation from the Spanish saying they are looking into the situation? We also have other forms of ID like his birth certificate and national ID card from his country.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi all. Just to give an update we had little issues travelling with the Spanish article 10 RC that had a slightly incorrect D.O.B. Border Official was more concerned with our visit and how long we have been living in Spain. We were issued with EEA dependent ink stamp for 6 months.

Last edited by Ellie95; Nov 21st 2016 at 4:21 am.