Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Spain by Ferry. Some information for you

Travelling to Spain by Ferry. Some information for you

Old Aug 21st 2020, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling to Spain by Ferry. Some information for you

Hi. Fellow forum friends.

​​​​​​I just thought I would post about my recent (18th Aug) trip over.
We have now moved permanently but the below is what happens (and doesn't) when travelling by ferry during these unusual times.

We went from Portsmouth to Santander by Brittany Ferries but I reckon they are all the same.

At Portsmouth there are no Covid checks. No temperature check. No questions. Nothing.

However. You will have to fill in a declaration form before you travel. Portsmouth don't even ask if you have this filled out ready. You should have it printed off from their website. None are available on ship.

On the ferry you are informed that you should stay in your cabin as much as possible. Although you can walk around and go outside but you will need a face mask.
The sailing we were on was very quiet. I think it was less than half full. Only 2 bars open and the 1 restaurant. The snack bar was also open (nice cakes)
At arrival in Santander you are called back to you car buy colour code (sticker on your cabin key). And you will sit there for about 20mins.

A member of staff then comes along and collects your filled in forms and takes your temperature. If you don't have a form or your temp is above 38c you get a red sticker on the windscreen.

To be slightly sarcastic now. I think they were just giving stickers to certain number of vehicles and the man with the temp checker refused to show it to anyone. And he was not wearing a mask.

The people in the car alongside us peeled their sticker off the windscreen.

As we came off the ferry all vehicles with red stickers are shown to a holding area.

There were only UK reg vehicles in this area. I checked all the non UK ones and maybe 60% of the uk ones went through without stickers.

After waiting about 45mins we were ushered into a cabin and had our temp checked again. Mine was 36.8 and the wife's was 36.9 so within the range.

​​​​We were then told we could go.

Its a reasonable system but one that is very easy to circumvent. I bet a few people peeled their stickers off.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Spain by Ferry. Some information for you

Who issues the “form” is it Portsmouth port or Brittany ferries and do you Have a link to the form?
Old Aug 21st 2020, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

We are supposed to be sailing back in Sept so will need the form. Brittany Ferries currently moving bookings around as a result of the UK quarantine our return trip in Oct has been cancelled and currently awaiting replacement date. Trip to UK has been altered to santander Plymouth rather than Portsmouth.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Who issues the “form” is it Portsmouth port or Brittany ferries and do you Have a link to the form?
Hi. Don't have a link but it's on Brittany Ferries Web site.
It's only applicable for UK to Spain. If the other way you have to fill in the UK government's one.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
We are supposed to be sailing back in Sept so will need the form. Brittany Ferries currently moving bookings around as a result of the UK quarantine our return trip in Oct has been cancelled and currently awaiting replacement date. Trip to UK has been altered to santander Plymouth rather than Portsmouth.
Its a pain. We should have been on Portsmouth to Bilbao but that's no longer running.
It's all down to reduced numbers because of the uk imposing quarantine on return.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Its a pain. We should have been on Portsmouth to Bilbao but that's no longer running.
It's all down to reduced numbers because of the uk imposing quarantine on return.
Yes mind they must be taking a huge hit with all this. I had a trip back in May which was totally cancelled. The upcoming trip is a replacement, we need to get back to hopefully get our UK house which is stood empty sorted out and on the rental market. Hopefully we will get back and sorted out. Here's a link to fill that form out online although you can only do it no more than 48 before travelling. https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
Sorry yes this is for entering UK from Spain
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
From what I've heard, it seems to be a lot easier from Ireland. Will hopefully be going October but France route. The Spain route seems too long and unfortunately the Pont Aven isn't used on that route.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
From what I've heard, it seems to be a lot easier from Ireland. Will hopefully be going October but France route. The Spain route seems too long and unfortunately the Pont Aven isn't used on that route.
PA sails from Plymouth to Santander every Sunday at 17.15 we are booked for the 6th September.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

PA sails from Plymouth to Santander every Sunday at 17.15 we are booked for the 6th September.
In Ireland they only seem to use the PA for the France route from Cork to Roscoff and ironically Irish Ferries then stops using the new W.B. Yeats to France from October but uses it between UK. Unfortunately the Spain route is too long for us and the route to Bilbao is with the economie ferry. Hopefully this will change but I'll just be glad if we make it this year.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Travelling to Spain by Ferry. Some information for you

We are booked to sail on Sunday 30th August
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter and partner will be on this one tomorrow along with their motorhome. x
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gill556
my daughter and partner will be on this one tomorrow along with their motorhome. x
Have they found the 2 page form on the BF site and filled it in to avoid the delay leaving the border in Santander?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 9:22 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the form > https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/s...%A9s_barco.pdf
Old Aug 24th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression you had to get a QR code when entering Spain from any other country. I've had to do it on my last 2 trips. https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=1
Old Aug 24th 2020, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanNico
I was under the impression you had to get a QR code when entering Spain from any other country. I've had to do it on my last 2 trips. https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=1
Brittany Ferries site gives you the printable version on their site to print off complete and hand in. There is an online one that gives a QR code but that reads for flying? Not sure the difference it makes? However as Brittany ferries shows printable one for entering spain I will use that one to avoid confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.