Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travelling with children

Travelling with children

Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default Travelling with children

We have unexpectedly found that we have to bring our 10 month old granddaughter with us when we come at the beginning of September. I don't mind buying something like a travel high chair as I expect that we will get quite a bit of use out of it this time and on future holidays. I am more reluctant about buying a cot. does anyone know anywhere where we could rent/hire a cot for the week? We will be arriving on a Friday lunchtime so would be able to pick it up.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about travelling/holidaying with children of that age? it is long time since our own children were that age and even then we never travelled abroad.

I am sure we will all enjoy it once we arrive but i want to make as many plans in advance as possible so things go smoothly.

Kath
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with children

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
We have unexpectedly found that we have to bring our 10 month old granddaughter with us when we come at the beginning of September. I don't mind buying something like a travel high chair as I expect that we will get quite a bit of use out of it this time and on future holidays. I am more reluctant about buying a cot. does anyone know anywhere where we could rent/hire a cot for the week? We will be arriving on a Friday lunchtime so would be able to pick it up.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about travelling/holidaying with children of that age? it is long time since our own children were that age and even then we never travelled abroad.

I am sure we will all enjoy it once we arrive but i want to make as many plans in advance as possible so things go smoothly.

Kath
You could try one of the property management companies - eg Purple Parrot (google PurpleParrotGroup) - they provide high chairs and cots for rental guests and might be able to help - or point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You could try one of the property management companies - eg Purple Parrot (google PurpleParrotGroup) - they provide high chairs and cots for rental guests and might be able to help - or point you in the right direction.
Hi

IKEA sell really 'cheap' cots - might be handy to have one permanently... as opposed to paying a 1-off cost??

Cant help re the children - a 10 month old in Spain vs UK + what to do. Can help harried grandparents though with food and drink recommendations

Jon
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Kath

I've got one you can borrow
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:43 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

...and me, we have a good travel cot , mozzie net for it and a baby chair that can be fixed to a dining chair, also a food blender.

Welcome to borrow the lot. If you send me a pm I can arrange for you to go to our place and take them. We are not there but have people staying so it won't be a problem.

All the best

Mel
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Kath
Hello Kath and Ted,

here are a couple of tips from me :

Bring some Calpol from the UK - the one use sachets are very good and you can easily keep one or two of them in your handbag. Hopefully you won't need them but one never knows. Don't know about Spain but baby medicines and products are much more expensive in Italy than in the UK. So is sun cream, swimming nappies and mosquito stuff.

Bring a small baby bottle with you and put some water in it. Give it to baby just after take off. The sucking motion helps ears to pop so baby won't be crying.

Tell the staff at check-in that you want to keep the pushchair with you right up until the moment you get on the plane. Hopefully you'll be able to get it again as soon as you get off the plane and then you won't have to carry the baby all around the airport and keep holding her whilst you wait for your cases.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Travelling with children

Kath
You just missed it! Lidl in VRStA had a special on childcare and that coincided with new arrivals in the wider family. We bought a super travel cot and a couple of booster seats, not to expensive, to be ready. These are now stored on the top of our wardrobe ready for the future. I think they might be in use in September though. The originator of this thread Sam, made these enquiries a few years ago and I think solved the problem then so you could ask there as well.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:04 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

We will be taking our grandchild next year and she will be 3 plus then so will be in a bed but if anybody has any advice on stair gates I would appreciate it. The thought of those rock hard tiled stairs and a liitle 'un ...oh no !!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello Kath and Ted,

here are a couple of tips from me :

Bring some Calpol from the UK - the one use sachets are very good and you can easily keep one or two of them in your handbag. Hopefully you won't need them but one never knows. Don't know about Spain but baby medicines and products are much more expensive in Italy than in the UK. So is sun cream, swimming nappies and mosquito stuff.

Bring a small baby bottle with you and put some water in it. Give it to baby just after take off. The sucking motion helps ears to pop so baby won't be crying.

Tell the staff at check-in that you want to keep the pushchair with you right up until the moment you get on the plane. Hopefully you'll be able to get it again as soon as you get off the plane and then you won't have to carry the baby all around the airport and keep holding her whilst you wait for your cases.
Thats spot on advice,we needed some child remedies on a Sunday for our 5 yr old neice on her last visit and found it difficult. Far from being cavalier the chemists we went to were very reluctant to serve medicines over the counter we buy in the supermarket in UK. We did get some after a couple of visits so a small stock of everyday stuff might be very helpful.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
We will be taking our grandchild next year and she will be 3 plus then so will be in a bed but if anybody has any advice on stair gates I would appreciate it. The thought of those rock hard tiled stairs and a liitle 'un ...oh no !!
Aldi had some lastweek.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:41 am
MEL & JOHN

Hiya John

Thanks, never thought of there.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
We have some excellent stair gates, we bought them few years back and only used them for 3 months, they also have the extra wideners as the stairs are mega wide... no use for them now !!

Let me know if you want to look at them??

Cheers

Andy
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:32 am
MEL & JOHN

Originally Posted by The Pope
We have some excellent stair gates, we bought them few years back and only used them for 3 months, they also have the extra wideners as the stairs are mega wide... no use for them now !!

Let me know if you want to look at them??

Cheers

Andy
Hey, that's great Andy. Will send you a pm

Mel
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

BH-IP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel
Have sent you a pm too
Barbara
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

many thanks for all of the advice and especial thanks to Andy for the loan of the cot and to Mel for the loan of the chair and blender. We have just come back; we had a wonderful time. We even went to the Water Park at El Rompido on Saturday. We went to the beach and the zoo too. We can't wait to go again (with or without the little one).

Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.