Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

travelling by car to UK (Calais) from Granada

travelling by car to UK (Calais) from Granada

Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:11 am
Just Joined

syednasim is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry travelling by car to UK (Calais) from Granada

If any one has done this please send us your expeience. If you want to share the trip in future do let me know.

Last edited by syednasim; Mar 7th 2012 at 7:14 am. Reason: to add Calais, Dover, London
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travelling by car to UK (Calais) from Granada

I used to do it from Gandia regularly but with the price of petrol it's got way to expensive.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

we did it from here, four years ago and loved the drive, we stopped twice as wanted to explore, but then I like driving, we are doing it again on 18th April, well starting out 18th, we will be getting the ferry back to Santander purely as we fancied the boat, ye sis expensive in fuel, but worth it to have three weeks in UK seeing family and load the car to come back.

We found the trip very easy but we will not be using the toll roads this time as they are very expensive, will use the main roads that run alongside them usually.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

last April we did it the reverse way, East Anglia, via Eurochunnel, Calais to Granada, with the dog on the back seat.

was going to use boat to Santander when I came over in December but it was cancelled because the water was a bit choppy, so did the trip via France again. Instead of taking the first left turn after the border travelled on to Santander and then turned left - just to see what the journey was like. Came down to Madrid from the North West instead of the East and then down south from there.

found 500 miles per day was enough, especially as the Dec trip thru France was awash from the gales that stopped the ferry.

enjoy
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

syednasim is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks folks. I am grateful. Is it easy to find some good, safe motels on the long journey from Granada to Calais? I intend to have a leisurely drive over three days requiring two nights stay one night in Spain and one night in France. If you remember the names of any motel or a source from where I can get it, I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks again.
Syed
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I googled cheap hotels, but there are lots just pull in near any town and you will find a large choice, I have booked our first night near Burgos then second night at Chambrey les Tours.

Many many to choose from en route, I just chose to book pre trip this time.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

It really would depend on your route but Campanile Motels, mostly in France, are good stop overs. They are around 60-70 euros per night for the room. They have restaurant on site. Free car parking. Also take animals if you are travelling with a pet. If using the Pau (France) to Zaragosa (Spain) crossing there is a hotel called Mi Casa in Sabinanigo (north of Huesca in northern Spain) which is a 2 star and OK for an overnight. We were travelling back to the UK for a holiday and stopped in its sister hotel across the road which was a 4 star and very expensive. The 4 star restaurant was closed and they suggested we use their sister 2 star hotel for our evening meal. It was good and reasonably priced. We stopped there on our return to Granada province and found it OK. Mi Casa, Avda. del Ejercito 32, 22600 Sabinanigo, Huesca pirineo aragones. www.hotelmicase.info e-mail: [email protected]. Enjoy the trip.
We're trying the Santander ferry to Plymouth this year so hope that it OK but are returning via the Tunnel.

Last edited by Cats-R-Us; Mar 7th 2012 at 1:57 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are paying 40 euro for ours , have to check name of company, but many between 30 and up, if you pick formulae 1 it is basic and clean but you share bathrooms, about 5 euro for breaky, which by the way we are paying in our hotel. Brain dead have to check and come back but some excellent web sites to peruse for them.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Just booked 4 ibis hotels for a trip back to the UK in May.
Book at least 30days in advance for best prices.
For 2A +1 dog
Cheapest €39 (salamanca)
Dearest €48 (Rouen)
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I drove up from Huelva province via Seville, Cordoba to etc Valencia - which is a nice place to visit in the evenings - stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the ouskirts which is on a big retail park just off the M'way into V so plenty of shops and restaurants which stay open late. Easy to find and handy for a quick getaway in the morning. There is also an Ibis opposite which might be cheaper than HI. I paid around 46E.
Next stop was Clermond Ferrand (mainly because I wanted to drive over the viaduct at Millau which is spectacular). Stayed at a Kyriad budget hotel, again on the outskirts just off the M'way. I don't recall the cost but it was reasonable - good b'fast too. Found a McD's for supper as I was a bit knackered by then.
Next day to Calais, cutting across via Rouen in order to avoid Paris. An easy drive arriving around 16:00 in time to fill any remaing space in the car from Majestic Wine!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

there are several hotels just off the motorway a Angouleme in France, with a number of eating places across the road.
and the one we stayed in (Ibis ?) took the dog as well