Reload this Page >

travelling alone with dog from UK

travelling alone with dog from UK

Old Mar 9th 2015, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

ponydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling alone with dog from UK

Hi Everyone,

I want to spend Jan and Feb in Spain and want to bring my small dog.Is there a firm that would bring me from the uk,in maybe like a people carrier,with other people or is the only way on the train.I dont want her to fly as she would be in the hold of the plane and you cant take dogs on Euro Star (why not).I dont want to drive all the way by myself.I have googled but just get the usual things.The man in seat 61 has a good page but just wondered if there were other ways.Thank You.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 3:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling alone with dog from UK

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 9th 2015, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your welcome.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

If you could be a bit more specific, maybe I could help. Where in Spain do you want to spend Jan/Feb (assume you mean 2016?) And from where in the UK will you start your journey?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Try Share your journey with BlaBlaCar - Trusted ridesharing

It's a car sharing website.
Some drivers state they will take passengers with pets.
I've used that site in the past and it worked out really well.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Hi thank you billgates I will look at the website.I can travel from any south coast port or Dover and I want to go to Delores,near Alicante.Maybe the first week in Jan '16 and come back sometime in March,I am very flexible.I have a small dog and she is very good but I dont like the idea of her travelling with out me.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Just looked at Bla Bla Car,really good site and I might use it here in the UK.Thank You for that.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

dolphcot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I think the idea of a car share is very good and perhaps even if it just gets you across to France. I think you can take small dogs on the trains there and although it is a long trip you can get to alicante by train, perhaps with a stop off. I always find French hotels are dog friendly - much more so than in the UK.

I have travelled between Spain and the UK many times and I definitely think going through the tunnel is the best way. Ferries also don't let you take your dog unless you have a car which I found out when I needed once to come back south with dog but no van! Ended up buying a LHD car in the UK but that is another story.

Or perhaps you have a friend who would drive across to France with you, via the tunnel, (do some shopping in Calais) and then drive back after dropping you at the station?

Good luck with your trip. Of course you then have to get back again and do it all in reverse. Driving all the way isn't too bad - as I say I have done it many times and usually found someone to come with me for the ride to keep me company. That would give you the most flexibility in my opinion.

Kate
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dolphcot
Hello I think the idea of a car share is very good and perhaps even if it just gets you across to France. I think you can take small dogs on the trains there and although it is a long trip you can get to alicante by train, perhaps with a stop off. I always find French hotels are dog friendly - much more so than in the UK.

Or perhaps you have a friend who would drive across to France with you, via the tunnel, (do some shopping in Calais) and then drive back after dropping you at the station?
Vente en ligne des tarifs animaux
indicates that dogs weighing less than 6 kg pay 6€, but must remain in a carrier of specific dimensions. Heavier dogs pay 50% of the accompanying human's fare and must be muzzled, kept on a lead, and "accepted" by the other passengers. Definitely not recommended to take the train from Calais to Paris. Dogs are not allowed in buses or the métro/RER, and taxis can refuse = problems transferring from North to South of Paris for onward journey....
As mentioned, you'd have the same "French" problem for the return, so travel by train not really recommended....

Last edited by dmu; Mar 24th 2015 at 12:38 pm.