Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance

Travel insurance

Old Jul 1st 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance

This might seem daft, but do I need travel insurance? I am returning to the UK for two weeks to visit family. I have residentia here and an address in the UK. As I understand it, I'm covered for health problems in the UK,so do I need insurance, or am I missing something?
Thank you.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance

If you are only concerned with receiving medical treatment while in the UK I would have thought that you do not need insurance.
However you would be at risk for everything else. eg if you had to cancel before travelling, theft etc. What if you needed an air ambulance back to Spain?
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Are you over State retirement age? If so, under Mr. Camerons agreement (which I believe still stands) notwithstanding you are resident in Spain, you can still access the NHS, even long term issues / treatments.

If you are NOT, I will assume that as you have residency in Spain, you must have produced Medical Insurance, or after a year be on the Convenio Especial. In either case, you have officially stated that you wish to make Spain your home (or at least be here for more than 90 days). In the case of the Convenio, you would have had a letter from the UK , which effectively 'divorced you' from the NHS, and your UK records have been endorsed to that effect.

Simply put, as access to the NHS relies on ordinary residency in the UK (NOT contributions, etc.) you have Residencia in Spain so the hard word is that you are not REALLY entitled to use the NHS! Although you have a UK address, its a calculated risk you will be taking and in that case its best to take out travel Insurance. Its NOT that expensive, try Staysure for a quote.

Think of this, you are involved in an accident or incident and you are unconscious. In an effort to identify you, they go through your wallet and find a Spanish Green Card for 'residency', Spanish bank cards or Driving Licence etc. etc. At the very least you will have some explaining to do, at worse you get the bill. The NHS staff are getting very 'savvy' as they are now under instruction to confirm things if there is any doubt. Is it worth all that for a few quid?

As I said, over retirement age (if the pledge still stands, check before you go, theres so much going on.....) ignore the above!
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Are you over State retirement age? If so, under Mr. Camerons agreement (which I believe still stands) notwithstanding you are resident in Spain, you can still access the NHS, even long term issues / treatments.

If you are NOT, I will assume that as you have residency in Spain, you must have produced Medical Insurance, or after a year be on the Convenio Especial. In either case, you have officially stated that you wish to make Spain your home (or at least be here for more than 90 days). In the case of the Convenio, you would have had a letter from the UK , which effectively 'divorced you' from the NHS, and your UK records have been endorsed to that effect.

Simply put, as access to the NHS relies on ordinary residency in the UK (NOT contributions, etc.) you have Residencia in Spain so the hard word is that you are not REALLY entitled to use the NHS! Although you have a UK address, its a calculated risk you will be taking and in that case its best to take out travel Insurance. Its NOT that expensive, try Staysure for a quote.

Think of this, you are involved in an accident or incident and you are unconscious. In an effort to identify you, they go through your wallet and find a Spanish Green Card for 'residency', Spanish bank cards or Driving Licence etc. etc. At the very least you will have some explaining to do, at worse you get the bill. The NHS staff are getting very 'savvy' as they are now under instruction to confirm things if there is any doubt. Is it worth all that for a few quid?

As I said, over retirement age (if the pledge still stands, check before you go, theres so much going on.....) ignore the above!
Thanks, I have no intention of 'ducking and diving'. I am in my 70's and I will check out Staysure.
Again thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Thanks, I have no intention of 'ducking and diving'. I am in my 70's and I will check out Staysure.
Again thanks.
FROM STAYSURE RE. INSURANCE QUOTE

By proceeding to the next page you agree that you and all members of the travelling party are:

Residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least six months within the last 12 month period.
Registered with a medical practitioner in your home country - which should be either the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Not already travelling at time of purchase.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
FROM STAYSURE RE. INSURANCE QUOTE

By proceeding to the next page you agree that you and all members of the travelling party are:

Residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least six months within the last 12 month period.
Registered with a medical practitioner in your home country - which should be either the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Not already travelling at time of purchase.

Check out the 'Ex Pats' section for T and C's, they sell hundreds of Policies to Ex pats with Europe wide cover.

OUR T and C's (Staysure) under ex pats cover reads:

A British National , spouse, or dependent of a British National permanently resident of your home country for six of the last twelve months;

• registered with a doctor in your home country, who will grant access to your medical records

• travelling from and returning to your home country.

'Home Country' in our case means Spain. We are British, but our Home Country is Spain. We are registered under the Convenio with a Doctor, Staysure understand the set up in the case of Ex Pats.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Again thanks.

Never would say that at all, with respect its just you asked and I was concerned that you may have an issue and its too late when the wheels off. If you are in your 70's, then check that the NHS will cover you anyway, I believe they will, as I said above.

Accessing the NHS | Healthcare in Spain
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Never would say that at all, with respect its just you asked and I was concerned that you may have an issue and its too late when the wheels off. If you are in your 70's, then check that the NHS will cover you anyway, I believe they will, as I said above.

Accessing the NHS | Healthcare in Spain
Looked up Staysure. Seems the way to go.
Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Kentishladd I hope that you will not mind me taking this discussion slightly off topic (I apologise). When travelling around Spain on mini breaks do members take out travel insurance or do they rely on their normal health cover if they are in the system due to retirement?

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the 'Ex Pats' section for T and C's, they sell hundreds of Policies to Ex pats with Europe wide cover.

OUR T and C's (Staysure) under ex pats cover reads:

[F British National , spouse, or dependent of a British National permanently resident of your home [/FONT][F for six of the last twelve months;[/FONT]
[F
[/FONT]
[F registered with a doctor in your home country, who will grant access to your medical records[/FONT]
[F
[/FONT]
[F travelling from and returning to your home country.[/FONT][F
[F
[/FONT][/FONT]
'Home Country' in our case means Spain. We are British, but our Home Country is Spain. We are registered under the Convenio with a Doctor, Staysure understand the set up in the case of Ex Pats.
Thanks lurchio I had not seen that it even covers Gibraltar

Mind you by the time we have filled in our pre-existing medical conditions the years cover will have elapsed

ADDED
I have just read through the benefits of Staysure and Ibex my present insurer and I cannot see any major differences.
Staysure quote so far without completing is £365 whilst Ibex charged me €254 for my present policy.

Staysure benefits page 6 & 7 of this link:- https://www.staysure.co.uk/policydoc...g-20170531.pdf

Ibex benifits:- Travel Insurance Summary of Covers

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jul 2nd 2017 at 11:46 am.