Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

translation please.

translation please.

Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:24 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: translation please.

Originally Posted by Veleta
It gave me a C1.4, but I wish it would say at the end where I had made mistakes rather than just giving the result. Still, it was only for a bit of fun.

Totally understand what you are saying about saying strange things in your native language!. I do the same in English sometimes. For example, it sounds absolutely ok to me to say things like "we are 4 people" (somos cuatro) instead of "there are four of us".

Little by little I lose the ability to speak English correctly simply because "it sounds right", and I increasingly have to think about the grammar rules and apply them when speaking.

Oh, and the spelling of words that are similar in English and Spanish has become a bit of a nightmare. Posible - one 'S' or two? Or I write 'champeon' instead of 'champion', etc, etc. It's all becoming a big blur!!!!
Congratulations and celebrations , la la la la la la la la la la la la. etc....

I am doing the same in English, the other day we went to see some English friends and I said that the "table of cheeses" looked good, and they asked us if we wanted a "cup of wine".

The confusion is spreading like swine flue.

There was a thread on this forum about fluent and bilingual and what it meant.

NEW DEFINITION. Bilingual = being a bit thick in 2 languages.

Last edited by JLFS; Nov 11th 2009 at 1:25 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:21 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Your Kidding, right.

I guess today we found out who is learning Castellano.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Your Kidding, right.

I guess today we found out who is learning Castellano.
Yeah, me for one, and English.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:20 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

You cannot learn a language without knowing your own first.

I`m not currently interested in learning another language.

Or I`m just another illeterate Brit.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:40 pm
Banned

You cannot learn a language without knowing your own first.

I`m not currently interested in learning another language.

Or I`m just another illeterate Brit.

I dont think that is quite true, in fact learning another language teaches you a lot about your own.

Sometimes you have to learn another language before you really know your own.
I am sure it is happening right now to some of the children of members of this forum. Very young children having to learn Spanish when they dont know a great lot of their own language, but it works......needs must.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
Banned

If like me during English lessons you had more interesting activities on your mind, like touching up the girl next to you, then your likely to struggle with pronouns etc etc.

And if you don`t remember the rules in English, another language is going to feel very difficult.

From my limited knowledge of Spanish, the rules are complicated.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It was translated by the Spaniard sat 5 ft away from me, word for word.
Tell him, his English is sh1te then!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Somtimes we do look like odd bods, for example the other day we commented to some Spanish neighbours about going on a journey on Friday, which just happens to be the 13th, we told them to be careful , and they looked at us as if we were mental.
Is that because it is martes trece for them? Anyway back on thread, "nothing lasts forever"???????
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:02 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Is that because it is martes trece for them?
I never knew that until yesterday at work when I mentioned it was Unlucky because it was Friday 13th.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

Is that because it is martes trece for them? Anyway back on thread, "nothing lasts forever"???????
yes, it is Tuesday 13th that is unlucky, and cats in Spain only have 7 lives.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I never knew that until yesterday at work when I mentioned it was Unlucky because it was Friday 13th.
See, you live and learn! Fancy believing Tuesday could be unlucky, when we know it could only be Friday!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes, it is Tuesday 13th that is unlucky, and cats in Spain only have 7 lives.
And we only have "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, the Spanish have one in the hand is worth 100 flying!
Más vale pájaro en mano que cien volando.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:12 pm
Banned

See, you live and learn! Fancy believing Tuesday could be unlucky, when we know it could only be Friday!
If we want to be really superstitious, we could adopt the 2 days, Tuesday and Friday. Better safe than sorry.....

Then we have double the opportunity to be paranoid.......
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:20 pm
Banned

As someone who speaks both languages, does anyone else think that New Yord is called the Big Apple because of a mis-translation from Spanish to English.

Apple = manzana

Block = manzana.

New yorkers always give directions like " 2 blocks south etc.......

Could New york have been called the Big Apple (block), by the Spanish and an English speaker translated MANZANA into apple, by mistake.......

It is only a theory...............someone on here might know the answer...
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is only a theory...............someone on here might know the answer...
Some thoughts here,
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...ested_in_1966/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.