Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

translation please.

translation please.

Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:14 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: translation please.

Originally Posted by chulo
My Spanish friend now believes your all crazy.

Why is that then?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:18 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

He read the the replies, started saying stuff in Spanish and all I got from him was your all crazy.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:21 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

He read the the replies, started saying stuff in Spanish and all I got from him was your all crazy.
The replies were all pretty good translations (all except for his), so either he is high on the substance of his choice or does not understand English very well..
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:40 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Maybe that is why he thinks your all crazy then.

Typical English I believe.

He did do what you asked for, a direct translation, its not his fault in English it makes no sense and does not translate into a sentence of sense.

I`m sure if I translated the bits he spoke of him crapping on your prostitute mothers breast would make much sense either, too you.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:54 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I`m sure if I translated the bits he spoke of him crapping on your prostitute mothers breast would make much sense either, too you.
LMFAO, I love these Spanish sayings, I get plenty of these when I wind up my OH. Cabrón just doesn't insult me though, just an animal to me.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I simply love florid insults rich in hyperbole.

'La madre que lo pario ' is good, but I like to change pario to cago.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:36 pm
Banned

Typical English I believe.

He did do what you asked for, a direct translation, its not his fault in English it makes no sense and does not translate into a sentence of sense.

I might have worded my request wrongly, when I asked for a word for word translation. What I meant was, to tranlate the "rain" senario, and not subsitute it for a saying with a similar meaning.

I did only expect translations that made sense in English, though.
Because to translate into something that does not make grammatical sense, sort of defeats the object.

And the bit about "crapping on the mother that gave birth to you" does make sense to me

By the way Chulo, where are you from? I can tell that you are not English or should I say British?

Cheers

Last edited by JLFS; Nov 10th 2009 at 10:39 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:37 am
Banned

That makes sense then, I shall relay that to my friend.

I am a Brit, why do you believe otherwise ?

Of my very limited Spanish, most of it is swear words and ordering food, thanks to friends, but it is very colourful when translated.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Maybe it's because you say "your" instead of "you're"?
My Spanish friend now believes your all crazy.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:38 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
Maybe it's because you say "your" instead of "you're"?
Warren, your being to nice too him!!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Warren, your being to nice too him!!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:53 am
Banned

That makes sense then, I shall relay that to my friend.

Of my very limited Spanish, most of it is swear words and ordering food, thanks to friends, but it is very colourful when translated.
The name for one thing "chulo".
Sorry, but I did think that you were not British, using the words "sentence of sense" does not sound exactly "English" to me.

Of course, I am not saying it is wrong but to me it is a phrase that does not fit very well.
I sometimes have to think long and hard to find the right words sometimes, that is why I asked for the translation, and I am sure I must write and say things that are not entirely "English" all the time.
The trouble is, if and when I do I dont know it.

Although I can spot the Spaniards a mile off when they have lived in the UK for a long time. I make mistakes with things in Spanish all the time, and to does my wife.

Somtimes we do look like odd bods, for example the other day we commented to some Spanish neighbours about going on a journey on Friday, which just happens to be the 13th, we told them to be careful , and they looked at us as if we were mental.

So sometimes when I see things written and spoken and I often jump to the wrong conculsions.
And I am also curious to see if there are any other foreigners on here, I know there are a few of us.

Cheers

Last edited by JLFS; Nov 11th 2009 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
I make mistakes with things in Spanish all the time, and to does my wife.
Have you tried the Spanish Level Test on the other thread?

I'd expect top marks from you!!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Veleta
Have you tried the Spanish Level Test on the other thread?

I'd expect top marks from you!!

We have done it together and both got the same answers, it was not perfect for the listening cos we were watchin "loose women" and eating a pomegranate at the time, and we guessed the answers intead of listening to it again, our volume on the laptop is not good, either.

The things we did make mistakes on when we came to live in Spain (Although we have got that sorted now )were words like "garage", which we (she more than I) used to mean, taller, parking garage, and petrol station.

Another one was to "move" house, we also used a lot of "to have a shower, which is OK I suppose, but not a "very Spanish" term.

Most English people who dont know me well presume that I am English, who speaks good Spanish, and thay are quite surprised at first, but then say they should have known.
Most Spanish in just think that I am Gallego, so if I say something strange they put it down to a regional thing.

They say my wife has a Gallego accent as well, even though she has nver lived there.

How did you do?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
We have done it together and both got the same answers, it was not perfect for the listening cos we were watchin "loose women" and eating a pomegranate at the time, and we guessed the answers intead of listening to it again, our volume on the laptop is not good, either.

The things we did make mistakes on when we came to live in Spain (Although we have got that sorted now )were words like "garage", which we (she more than I) used to mean, taller, parking garage, and petrol station.

Another one was to "move" house, we also used a lot of "to have a shower, which is OK I suppose, but not a "very Spanish" term.

Most English people who dont know me well presume that I am English, who speaks good Spanish, and thay are quite surprised at first, but then say they should have known.
Most Spanish in just think that I am Gallego, so if I say something strange they put it down to a regional thing.

They say my wife has a Gallego accent as well, even though she has nver lived there.

How did you do?
It gave me a C1.4, but I wish it would say at the end where I had made mistakes rather than just giving the result. Still, it was only for a bit of fun.

Totally understand what you are saying about saying strange things in your native language!. I do the same in English sometimes. For example, it sounds absolutely ok to me to say things like "we are 4 people" (somos cuatro) instead of "there are four of us".

Little by little I lose the ability to speak English correctly simply because "it sounds right", and I increasingly have to think about the grammar rules and apply them when speaking.

Oh, and the spelling of words that are similar in English and Spanish has become a bit of a nightmare. Posible - one 'S' or two? Or I write 'champeon' instead of 'champion', etc, etc. It's all becoming a big blur!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.