British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Transition Lens in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/transition-lens-spain-719369/)

Chiclanagir Jun 2nd 2011 6:09 pm

Transition Lens in Spain

Opinions please. I need new glasses and usually get one normal and one sunglasses. When I first came to Spain eight years ago I already had a pair of transition lens but found that they did not go dark enough for the strong sunlight here and that the coating faded really quickly. Has this changed in eight years and is better now.

Tolly Jun 2nd 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Transition Lens in Spain

i Bought new glasses last year with the transition lenses - i ordered the darkest tint i could get, but would say that they are not dark enough for me in full sun in spain, i also bought a pair of prescription sun glasses and find i spend most of the time wearing these when in Spain

adra04778 Jun 2nd 2011 8:22 pm

I have tried both and not been happy with 100 % with either, but I have now started using contact lenses and normal sunglasses, brilliant, don't know how I lived without them :)

Also really cheap if ordered on line ! did take me a bit to get used to them at first, but I love them now :)

Chiclanagir Jun 2nd 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tolly (Post 9406069)
i Bought new glasses last year with the transition lenses - i ordered the darkest tint i could get, but would say that they are not dark enough for me in full sun in spain, i also bought a pair of prescription sun glasses and find i spend most of the time wearing these when in Spain

That is what I found eight years ago............had hoped they would have improved by now.

adra04778 Jun 2nd 2011 9:37 pm

When I bought the transition lenses someone told me to put the glasses in the freezer for 4 hours, which I did, and I have to say there was a improvement, but not as good as my varifocal sunglasses.

megmet Jun 3rd 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9406237)
That is what I found eight years ago............had hoped they would have improved by now.

Not all of the lenses are equal, I've had mine over four years now so they really do need changing!
Mine are top of the range and I have never had a problem with them here in Spain....they are as effective now as when they were new, I will buy the same again even though I could get some others at half the price.
I guess it's one more case of you get what you pay for, unfortunately with these lenses you pay a lot! :ohmy:

Mitzyboy Jun 4th 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9406237)

They have. You get what you pay for.
I have a complicated prescription, and grey transitions and they are fine in the sun, in fact they are almost black in full sun.

With everything else though (varifocals, non scratch, non shine etc), they cost over €500. I have always had transition lenses, and they have improved no end since when I started with them.

Fred James Jun 4th 2011 10:22 am

Are they still OK when you are driving as they won't be getting the full sun on them?

mikelincs Jun 4th 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 9409718)
Are they still OK when you are driving as they won't be getting the full sun on them?

Mine were, they were from Specsavers in Spain, and worked well, even going from a tunnel into the full sun.

Mitzyboy Jun 4th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 9409718)

Yes, the last two pairs have been .... I seem to remember they told me that they would work in the car, some time ago

megmet Jun 4th 2011 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9409622)
They have. You get what you pay for.
I have a complicated prescription, and grey transitions and they are fine in the sun, in fact they are almost black in full sun.

With everything else though (varifocals, non scratch, non shine etc), they cost over €500. I have always had transition lenses, and they have improved no end since when I started with them.

It's the same for me but I don't have the non shine, and that price is about the same as I paid in the UK four years ago it may be a little more now but worth every cent.
I would recommend the very best you can afford to anyone thinking of trying them, they are so good in or out of the sun that you almost forget you are wearing them. :wub: