Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transferwise Account Numbers

Transferwise Account Numbers

Old May 30th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferwise Account Numbers

Hi,

I was about to make a normal money transfer from my UK bank to my Spanish account and on the Transferwise page they stated that their bank account details have changed.

Has anyone else seen that or does it seem suspicious?

Steve
Old May 30th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferwise Account Numbers

OK so they have changed their bank account and they tell you. Not sure what the issue is!
I have seen that and used the new account, no problem.
Old May 30th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

They have not informed me beforehand and there are plenty of scams about nowadays!
Old May 30th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi,

I was about to make a normal money transfer from my UK bank to my Spanish account and on the Transferwise page they stated that their bank account details have changed.

Has anyone else seen that or does it seem suspicious?

Steve
Worth checking .. This is info from FAQ page

https://transferwise.com/help/topics...t-for-phishing
Old May 30th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Worth checking .. This is info from FAQ page

https://transferwise.com/help/topics...t-for-phishing
The OP was logged in and making a transfer. That is very different to a phishing attempt although, I agree, always good to be cautious!
Old May 30th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I've emailed Transferwise support and still waiting for a response. I'll update when I get a reply.

Steve
Old May 30th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've had a reply from Transferwise support and they have indeed changed their banking details. IMHO I think they should inform their customers of any changes especially in light of the way the scammers operate.
Old May 30th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've had a reply from Transferwise support and they have indeed changed their banking details. IMHO I think they should inform their customers of any changes especially in light of the way the scammers operate.
How would you expect them to do that? If it was a general e-mail that definitely should be treated as suspicious. They did inform you (and me!) via a secure log-in which seems to me to be the best method.
Old May 30th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
How would you expect them to do that? If it was a general e-mail that definitely should be treated as suspicious. They did inform you (and me!) via a secure log-in which seems to me to be the best method.
Old May 30th 2017, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes good point made and taken. Perhaps me being over cautious
Old May 30th 2017, 8:01 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes good point made and taken. Perhaps me being over cautious
Hola

When you are transferring money, you cannot be over-cautious - your bank details are just what scammers want.

As an ex IT guy who teaches "computers" to OAP's can I just say that almost every type of scam I receive is discussed with the class just to make them more cautious.

So as far as I am concerned :- 10 out of 10 and a gold star

Davexf
Old May 30th 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

When you are transferring money, you cannot be over-cautious - your bank details are just what scammers want.
OK but it wasn't HIS bank details that were the issue!
Old May 30th 2017, 8:58 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

OK but it wasn't HIS bank details that were the issue!
But if you receive the money into your scammers account, you will also get the senders bank details - so you can then use them to advantage

Davexf
Old May 31st 2017, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

A friend of mine in Majorca has just been scammed, he received an email telling him that the parts that he ordered and had subsequently been delivered, had not been paid for. For his convenience they included the Bank details that it was to be paid into. (the scammer's bank) Seems the database of the company he ordered from had been hacked.
Old May 31st 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dxf
But if you receive the money into your scammers account, you will also get the senders bank details - so you can then use them to advantage

Davexf
Those details are on any/every check so what is the issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.