Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transfer of vehicle ownership

Transfer of vehicle ownership

Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfer of vehicle ownership

Can anyone assist please. I was just about to send all the necessary documentation to a gestor, having been in contact for a few days already, when they turned 'round and said that they couldn't actually help as they were in a different province!

I live near Valencia and the seller near Alicante. I was advised to use a gestor in Malaga as they were reasonably priced, recommended as a good agent and were quick/reliable. Now they say they can't help as we live in a different province.

Is this correct or do they just not want our business?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of vehicle ownership

not sure if its correct but I can recommend someone near Gandia if you get stuck.....they have done 3 cars for us

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Can anyone assist please. I was just about to send all the necessary documentation to a gestor, having been in contact for a few days already, when they turned 'round and said that they couldn't actually help as they were in a different province!

I live near Valencia and the seller near Alicante. I was advised to use a gestor in Malaga as they were reasonably priced, recommended as a good agent and were quick/reliable. Now they say they can't help as we live in a different province.

Is this correct or do they just not want our business?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:49 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

there are taxes payable to the Junta de Andalucia and then they need to go to the trafico in the area. Apparently Trafico can not process vehicles outside of their area.

I have to use both Cadiz & Seville trafico.

I therefore suspect the costs would be much larger for a gestor to change ownership outside its normal area

Davexf
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Yep thats how backward the system here is , if you live in Malaga and buy a car from Galicia you have to change the paerwork over at traffico in Galicia A load of unesasarry nonsense that will cost you dearly.Its no wonder the used car market is stagnent here.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes surely our DVLC is a model for the rest of the EU?

I do however get the feeling that Traffico is trying to modernise and at least the DL is easier now with the health check centres obliged to undertake the paperwork for renewals.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes surely our DVLC is a model for the rest of the EU?

I do however get the feeling that Traffico is trying to modernise and at least the DL is easier now with the health check centres obliged to undertake the paperwork for renewals.

Yep the DVLC must be the simplest system in the world and it works! sign the V5 post it ,job done! total cost 40 pence for stamp and envelope! new keeper gets the log book in 2 weeks!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:34 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Yep the DVLC must be the simplest system in the world and it works! sign the V5 post it ,job done! total cost 40 pence for stamp and envelope! new keeper gets the log book in 2 weeks!
That system is far too simple to be used and it will be no good if someone somewhere does not make any money.....
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:57 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

Yer but there are problems like the purchaser does not need to send anything off and you are still technically the keeper etc. That is why they have so many APNC's on the streets and in Police cars.

Having lived in several other EU countries I can see some are better than others but the U.K. is hardly tops.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Yer but there are problems like the purchaser does not need to send anything off and you are still technically the keeper etc. That is why they have so many APNC's on the streets and in Police cars.

Having lived in several other EU countries I can see some are better than others but the U.K. is hardly tops.
I disagree having purchased vehicles world wide, the UK is the best system Ive seen and its free! In the UK the vendor has to send off the V5 or it stays in his name , he only has to get proof of the purchasers ID/address if he has any doubts ,that bit is nearly the same in Spain as many vendors stupidly trust purchasers to do the transfer and some dont.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

handy sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

there are taxes payable to the Junta de Andalucia and then they need to go to the trafico in the area. Apparently Trafico can not process vehicles outside of their area.

I have to use both Cadiz & Seville trafico.

I therefore suspect the costs would be much larger for a gestor to change ownership outside its normal area

Davexf
So.... If we buy that nice little Fiesta with spanish plates that we have seen for sale at a dealers in England, is there is no way we would be able to transfer ownership if we drive it over? We probably wouldn't get a copy of the passport, certainly not a notarised one, and we would then need to use the traffico in the area of the seller, wherever that happens to be, any other problems you can think of? Is it a non starter?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You can use your local trafico, but you will need to be able to get the owners signature on a form (620 from memory) and his NIE / empadron.

Not impossible but it should make you a little cautious

Davexf
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:38 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

You can use your local trafico, but you will need to be able to get the owners signature on a form (620 from memory) and his NIE / empadron.

Not impossible but it should make you a little cautious

Davexf
This is my point Dave, I was told that I could NOT do this. I have the sellers signature on form 620, NIE (and padron although not needed).
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by handy sue
So.... If we buy that nice little Fiesta with spanish plates that we have seen for sale at a dealers in England, is there is no way we would be able to transfer ownership if we drive it over? We probably wouldn't get a copy of the passport, certainly not a notarised one, and we would then need to use the traffico in the area of the seller, wherever that happens to be, any other problems you can think of? Is it a non starter?
My advise would be to steer well clear, your setting yourself up for a nightmare
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:09 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi Snikpoh

Not that we have done many but we have always used the buyers Trafico. The problems we have come across usually are geting signatures etc off of the seller
or outstanding fines / road tax.

I think you may have been mis-informed but stand to be corrected

Davexf
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Snikpoh

Not that we have done many but we have always used the buyers Trafico. The problems we have come across usually are geting signatures etc off of the seller
or outstanding fines / road tax.

I think you may have been mis-informed but stand to be corrected

Davexf
Having quoted for the work, I think they then had a change of heart. Never mind, I've now found someone else to do it at a reasonable cost.

Thanks.