Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transfer Tax when selling a car

Transfer Tax when selling a car

Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:10 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Transfer Tax when selling a car

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Just received another quote for 245 all in....

Bloody expensive on a car that's only worth around a grand!

ps. Am still confused!
Emma-Louise, I did say that usually it is a problem for the person who buys. If that is a Spaniard then the cost will probably a lot less, 'for one reason or another'

I would think your biggest problem may be to find a buyer at the price you want.

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 12th 2011 at 3:32 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

ps. Am still confused!
When it comes to understanding Spanish bureaucracy - join the club!

It's not that the rules/laws are difficult to understand - they are well documented - it's the interpretation and application of them, different in every area/local office, that drives most of us mad!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fred James
The valuations are based on tables produced by the tax office.

You can find the "official" new value of the car in the list and apply the depreciation factor at the end of the list.

http://www.aeat.es/AEAT/Contenidos_C...ha36972008.pdf
Fred that value list is great, pity it is dated 2008.

Says my 1997 Toyota Corolla was worth 7,400 €. Wonder if I could find some one (idiot) who would believe that and buy it at a slightly adjusted price !!!!

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 12th 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Fred that value list is great, pity it is dated 2008.

Says my 1997 Toyota Corolla was worth 7,400 €. Wonder if I could find some one (idiot) who would believe that and buy it at a slightly adjusted price !!!!
The fact that it is dated 2008 is irrelevant unless the car is younger than that. The price of €7400 is the new price.

If you check the depreciation factors, as I suggested, you will see that your Toyota is worth only 10% of its new value - ie. €740.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
The fact that it is dated 2008 is irrelevant unless the car is younger than that. The price of €7400 is the new price.

If you check the depreciation factors, as I suggested, you will see that your Toyota is worth only 10% of its new value - ie. €740.
Interesting. I paid 2,650,000 Ptas, just under 16,000 €. Perhaps I was the idiot. I should have only paid 7,400€
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Just received another quote for 245 all in....

Bloody expensive on a car that's only worth around a grand!

ps. Am still confused!
What is the breakdown of this quote, what is the tax, what are legal costs, trafico costs, IVA.
This seems very high to me, this is not rocket science. My local driving school do it and they just pay an agent to do it on their behalf, you see these agents in the tens outside trafico with their bulging briefcases.
I'm not sure what's going on in your case but I have to tell you that is most common for the buyer to pay the tax,especially on a low cost car.
This isn't this complicated
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt it be great if you could just sign the permiso circulation , post it to traffico and the new owner got it posted to him in his name in 10 days ,all for the price of a first class stamp ....that would be some fantasy world
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

It seems that the tax is around 150 and the rest is the Gestor fee..... I believe Trafico has a charge of 40 odd euros to change the name.... this is included in the Gestor fee....

Next question;

I was just getting all my documents together for the car and the 'Permiso de Circulation' has 2 dates...

The first is 28-09-2004 which is the date that the car was re-registered in Spain, this is under section 'I' 'Fecha de matriculation a la que se refiere el presente permisso'.....

The second is 30-07-2010 which is under the section '(I.1) 'Fecha de expedicion'.......

What is this second one?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

No worries think have figured it out.... it was the date that I went to Trafico to change my address!

well seeing as I cannot seem to find any info about sorting the tax myself....I'll just pay the Gestor!

Wish me luck with the sale!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

No worries think have figured it out.... it was the date that I went to Trafico to change my address!

well seeing as I cannot seem to find any info about sorting the tax myself....I'll just pay the Gestor!

Wish me luck with the sale!
You are right. It's basically the last date any changes were made.
I really think you need to barter with buyer on sharing the overall costs here, that's the normal practice, up to you though.
Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
You are right. It's basically the last date any changes were made.
I really think you need to barter with buyer on sharing the overall costs here, that's the normal practice, up to you though.
Good luck.
In my experience, the 'normal' practice is that the buyer pays all costs.

Having sold cars/bikes myself and also helped others do the same, the buyer has always paid these expenses.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Back again!

Who exactly is responsible for the transfer tax? the buyer or the seller?

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Back again!

Who exactly is responsible for the transfer tax? the buyer or the seller?

Thanks
As I have said before and snikpoh agrees it is usually the buyer but there is no legal obligation.
I repeat, it is usually something you barter over. If they try and knock you down on the price you can use transfer costs as a barter, equally if you won't budge on price they may want you to pay, generally speaking in my experience you could pay gestors fees, they pay tax or more often an equal split, it all depends on the price and yours or theirs criteria.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

But... say I bought a car and I was unaware of any transfer tax...... whose bum does it come back and bite? the seller or the buyer?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

But... say I bought a car and I was unaware of any transfer tax...... whose bum does it come back and bite? the seller or the buyer?
I'm not sure what you mean, that can't happen unless you are dealing with very,very shonky people and you haven't followed the legal process in which case it will come back and bite your bum.
Every time a car is sold/bought in order to transfer it into your name you/they will have to pay the tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.