British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Transfer of ownership for scooter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/transfer-ownership-scooter-877879/)

billgates May 23rd 2016 11:22 am

Transfer of ownership for scooter

Hi, can't find an existing post that answers my question so I'll ask anew.

My 125cc scooter has been off the road for a few years so it doesn't have a current ITV, although tax is up to date.

Can I sell my scooter to someone else, complete with official transfer of ownership and let them sort out the repairs and ITV so that they can use it legally?

Or do I have to get the ITV done first before I can get the ownership transfered?

Problem is, I don't know anything about scooter repairs nor if it's even worth repairing the thing. I don't want to spend any money on it but my concern is that the person that wants to buy it won't bother getting it legalised.

Dxf May 23rd 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Transfer of ownership for scooter

Hola

You cannot transfer ownership unless the vehicle has an ITV certificate - no matter if the vehicle requires one or not i.e. the vehicle is not four years old - you still have to have an ITV certificate

Davexf

Fred James May 23rd 2016 5:59 pm

So, if you sell a one week old car you need an ITV?

That sounds odd.

Dxf May 23rd 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 11954648)
So, if you sell a one week old car you need an ITV?

That sounds odd.

True though - but who sells a one week old car?

Davexf

wsteele1983 May 23rd 2016 8:15 pm

i have seen many cars and scooters for sale on Vibbo that do not have a valid Itv. So surly you must be able to, otherwise how are they allowed to do that?

Dxf May 23rd 2016 9:22 pm

Hola

Trafico will insist on seeing a valid ITV certificate when transferring ownership - been caught out once and therefore made sure the vehicle had a valid ITV all other times - and it was checked

Davexf

Fred James May 24th 2016 6:19 am

Yes, I can understand that where an ITV is required, but not otherwise. There is nothing on the DGT website to suggest that an ITV is required before the normal legal requirement.

Having searched the web I can find nothing to suggest that they do. One lawyer specifically states otherwise.

Change of ownership of a car in Spain | Velasco Lawyers

Perhaps you could point us in the direction of an authoritative site that confirms the requirement for an ITV in all cases, even when it is not a legal requirement regarding use on the road.

billgates May 24th 2016 11:02 am

Hi, thanks for all the info. Couple of additional questions...

Does anyone know how much it costs to do the transfer for a scooter that is only worth a couple of hundred euros?

For the Almunecar area, does the transfer have to take place at Traffico in Granada or is there a local office that deals with it?

Cheers,
Bill.

Grebo May 25th 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by billgates (Post 11955054)
Hi, thanks for all the info. Couple of additional questions...

Does anyone know how much it costs to do the transfer for a scooter that is only worth a couple of hundred euros?

For the Almunecar area, does the transfer have to take place at Traffico in Granada or is there a local office that deals with it?

Cheers,
Bill.

Recently done a 650cc. Tax is 6% of the 'declared' purchase price & €53 transfer fee. 125cc will be less than that I think it was €20 something.
Oh & when you pay the tax you have to pay 16c for the form.lol.

snikpoh May 25th 2016 1:33 pm

It's not normally anything to do with purchase price or even 'declared' purchase price - should be based on the 'blue book' value which is the original sales price in Spain and then reduced on a sliding scale due to age.

Fred James May 25th 2016 3:24 pm

In other words, the same system as they use for determining the registration tax when you re-register a foreign car.

Grebo May 26th 2016 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11955965)
It's not normally anything to do with purchase price or even 'declared' purchase price - should be based on the 'blue book' value which is the original sales price in Spain and then reduced on a sliding scale due to age.

You need to produce the standard sales agreement which includes the price paid, it is checked on the computer as you say but it seems to be up to the clerk at the time as to which price is used.
I had the choice ! Guess I got a bargain ;-)

billgates May 28th 2016 12:46 pm

Just for interest - the scooter in question went for ITV but failed on a couple of minor points. However the ITV centre said the transfer of ownership could still be done even though it failed its ITV.

Seems like a lot of differing opinions.

Dxf May 28th 2016 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 11954912)
Yes, I can understand that where an ITV is required, but not otherwise. There is nothing on the DGT website to suggest that an ITV is required before the normal legal requirement.

Having searched the web I can find nothing to suggest that they do. One lawyer specifically states otherwise.

Change of ownership of a car in Spain | Velasco Lawyers

Perhaps you could point us in the direction of an authoritative site that confirms the requirement for an ITV in all cases, even when it is not a legal requirement regarding use on the road.

Hola

as I was in Trafico (Cádiz) on Friday, i asked the question from a very helpful clerk; the answer was a surprised "No - ITV is not required" and she was surprised it had ever been a mandatory paper.

Further, in remariculating a car for a villa owner who wants to leave a car here, we were told they must have "Residencia" or membership of the EU certificate! Another change for non-residents

Davexf

snikpoh May 28th 2016 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 11958533)

Further, in remariculating a car for a villa owner who wants to leave a car here, we were told they must have "Residencia" or membership of the EU certificate! Another change for non-residents

Davexf

Sorry ..... So what you're saying is that non-residents can NOT own and run a car here?

Friends of mine are just about to do this as it's cheaper then hiring a car twice a year for 6 weeks at a time!