British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Trains from Valencia to Madrid 20th December (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/trains-valencia-madrid-20th-december-695658/)

joncar Dec 3rd 2010 9:14 am

Trains from Valencia to Madrid 20th December

I have been trying, unsucessfully, to book online a train to Madrid from Valencia on the 20th December, but have not been able to access the schedule to book. Normally I have booked sometime before, but all schedules are not available from the 19th December. I guess that it is something to do with the new AVE service, but I am not really bothered about going on that service, just to be able to book ANY train will do.
So does anyone know how I can access the schedules to book online.
Many thanks in advance.

jenna m Dec 3rd 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Trains from Valencia to Madrid 20th December

I have just accessed the site and full schedule is there.
www.renfe.com and press honorias y precios.

Good luck for your trip.
Jenna

tawaghorne Dec 3rd 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by joncar (Post 9018694)
I have been trying, unsucessfully, to book online a train to Madrid from Valencia on the 20th December, but have not been able to access the schedule to book. Normally I have booked sometime before, but all schedules are not available from the 19th December. I guess that it is something to do with the new AVE service, but I am not really bothered about going on that service, just to be able to book ANY train will do.
So does anyone know how I can access the schedules to book online.
Many thanks in advance.

If you are over 60 you can get upto 40% off, with the Gold Card. The cost
of the card is 5.5 Euros

joncar Dec 4th 2010 10:00 am

Many thanks to you for your input, however, the RENFE site has changed and now it is no longer possible to embark at Valencia Nord and arrive at Chamartin, Madrid, which makes the logistics of my proposed travel difficult. I only wish that the site had indicated that the old system of train schedules had been modified, as there no longer appears the option of taking the slower trains, coupled with the fact that it appears that you can only restrict your journey to less weight, and as I need to take suitcases, as I hope to depart from Madrid to Australia the following day, and I know I shall have a problem with my weight restriction.
Also useful to know that a discount was available for over 60s, thank you.
Again thanks for your help.

steviedeluxe Dec 4th 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by joncar (Post 9020486)
Many thanks to you for your input, however, the RENFE site has changed and now it is no longer possible to embark at Valencia Nord and arrive at Chamartin, Madrid, which makes the logistics of my proposed travel difficult. I only wish that the site had indicated that the old system of train schedules had been modified, as there no longer appears the option of taking the slower trains, coupled with the fact that it appears that you can only restrict your journey to less weight, and as I need to take suitcases, as I hope to depart from Madrid to Australia the following day, and I know I shall have a problem with my weight restriction.
Also useful to know that a discount was available for over 60s, thank you.
Again thanks for your help.

May be a good idea to book a coach ticket - they're quite comfortable, reliable and fairly cheap on the inter-city routes in Spain. IIRC the coach doesn't go to the Renfe station in Valencia though, so you'll need to catch a taxi there.

http://www.avanzabus.com/web/

joncar Dec 4th 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for that, and I have been researching the coach journey, as it does seem a good alternative. Not too sure though if the terminus arrives at the airport or just into the centre of Madrid, as I need to book a hotel for an overnight stop, either end of my visit.
Sadly I had booked a hotel at Chamartin, still there you go, that will have to be cancelled I expect. I am able to get to the coach station in Valencia, though, if I take the coach.
Main difficulty is not having been to Madrid before.