Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trafico Time Limits ?

Trafico Time Limits ?

Old Oct 7th 2020, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trafico Time Limits ?

I've just received a very nice letter from the local Trafico asking for 200€.

I was pulled with a pal in July on our bikes, but the cops never spoke to me, just him. The letter says I was overtaking in a dangerous place. I don't think I was.

First of all, is there a time limit on these things like in the UK (14 days). It was on July 14th

And is it worth challenging these things ? Or will it be a waste of time?

Thanks in advance ?

Old Oct 7th 2020, 11:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trafico Time Limits ?

I do not believe there is a time limit.
What did the cops say to your friend?
Were you both overtaking?
I would pay the fine. It could cost you a lot more if you are taken to court and found guilty.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

There are discounts for paying fines within time limits - seem to remember its 50% discount if you pay it within a month (but that needs checking)

But definitely easier and cheaper to pay.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
I do not believe there is a time limit.
What did the cops say to your friend?
Were you both overtaking?
I would pay the fine. It could cost you a lot more if you are taken to court and found guilty.
It's not the fine that worries me. They are taking 4 points as well.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The 14 day rule in the UK is a Notice of Intended Prosecution sent to registered keeper or given verbally to keeper or offender if at scene. As far as I am aware no such thing in Spain. You may not agree with the police officers view of your driving standard but their job is road safety fact you disagree doesn't really matter. You could pay and accept fine (reduced if paid within time limit) accept the 4 points or engage a solicitor and go through a court process. My guess is that would be lengthy, expensive and the outcome would be the same as I would guess the court would take police evidence versus your opinion? Was there a reason police spoke with your friend not you? Do you speak Spanish? Does your friend speak Spanish?
Old Oct 8th 2020, 10:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorick
It's not the fine that worries me. They are taking 4 points as well.
You did not mention that. I feel your pain, I once had 11 points on my own license.

What did you and your friend do and what did police say? What evidence do police have, e.g. witness statements and video? Without more detail, it is impossible to comment on likely outcome at court.
You might want to consult an abogado to get a professional opinion.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorick
I've just received a very nice letter from the local Trafico asking for 200€.

I was pulled with a pal in July on our bikes, but the cops never spoke to me, just him. The letter says I was overtaking in a dangerous place. I don't think I was.

First of all, is there a time limit on these things like in the UK (14 days). It was on July 14th

And is it worth challenging these things ? Or will it be a waste of time?

Thanks in advance ?

The time limit and discount should be shown on the fine document.. Normally it is 50% discount and I believe 15 days