Reload this Page >

Traffic fines scam on TV

Traffic fines scam on TV

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traffic fines scam on TV

Hi

Did anyone see the Real Hustle programme last night about scams carried out on people hiring cars in Ibiza where they were asked to complete a survey after hiring a car (gave lots of personal info - stupid!) then when they got home to the UK had a visit from someone requesting an on the spot fine.

We were sat discussing this when my post arrived this morning with a letter alledging we were speeding in Spain in October. It was a photocopied (I think) letter from Traffic Dept. in Murcia requesting €100 plus a very grainy photo of the car with the number plate very clear and a copy of the hire receipt. Not disputing this could have been us as we were in that area but I am now wondering if it is a scam.

We did get a fine several years ago whilst in Benidorm but that had the blue official council type stamp on it and signatures - Nothing like this one.

Any ideas, or should we just pay it. €30 discount if paid within a month.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic fines scam on TV

If it was a hire car then contact the hire company. They must have received the fine first and passed on your info.

If your own private car then I suppose you have to ask how they got your address details - maybe genuine in this case if they had to go through DVLA.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, sorry, it was a hire car.

Will contact them. Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Yes, sorry, it was a hire car.

Will contact them. Thanks
The hire company get the fine, they have to let traffico know who was driving, but not sure if trafico follow it up.
Where does it say send the payment to traffico ?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

I assume car hire company gave our details to traffic dept. It says at the top of letter - Ministerio del Interior, Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico. On the other side is a definite copy, as you can see the dark edges as it is a smaller piece of paper, of a certificate of 'Verificación Periódica'.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Did anyone see the Real Hustle programme last night about scams carried out on people hiring cars in Ibiza where they were asked to complete a survey after hiring a car (gave lots of personal info - stupid!) then when they got home to the UK had a visit from someone requesting an on the spot fine.

We were sat discussing this when my post arrived this morning with a letter alledging we were speeding in Spain in October. It was a photocopied (I think) letter from Traffic Dept. in Murcia requesting €100 plus a very grainy photo of the car with the number plate very clear and a copy of the hire receipt. Not disputing this could have been us as we were in that area but I am now wondering if it is a scam.

We did get a fine several years ago whilst in Benidorm but that had the blue official council type stamp on it and signatures - Nothing like this one.

Any ideas, or should we just pay it. €30 discount if paid within a month.
Did you read my previous post about they have to let traffico know or pay the fine themselves.
The letter should include a copy of the form with a picture of your hirecar reg, the time, and klm so and so of the road the camera was on and how much the fine is and the bank or police station to pay it in.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry JDR. yes it has more or less everything you say. The picture doesn't have anything stamped on it like it does here, ie speed, date etc. although that is in the letter. I know things are different in Spain! I guess I will assume it is official, just send the money and tell my husband to slow down in the future as obviously it must have been him driving !!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Sorry JDR. yes it has more or less everything you say. The picture doesn't have anything stamped on it like it does here, ie speed, date etc. although that is in the letter. I know things are different in Spain! I guess I will assume it is official, just send the money and tell my husband to slow down in the future as obviously it must have been him driving !!
Why dont u just drop a note to the Jefetura de Trafico in Murcia, with a copy confirming the penalty and agreeing to pay it.
I would be very surprised if any official dept in Spain would send you a photo copy of anything without it being stamped officially, or in most cases notarized!!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Like solawhizz says everything is always stamped and signed, so photocopy it and send it asking is it OK as you have heard about a scam going on.
Or fax it to them with a cover note asking if its genuine.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
If it was a hire car then contact the hire company. They must have received the fine first and passed on your info.
This is very likely, you wouldn't be the first person I have heard of traffico sending a fine to in the UK... checking with the hire company might give you the information you need to confirm that there was a fine but some of the bigger companies probably won't bother looking for you.

Also, how does it suggest you pay the fine, to the traffic department or to Paco Muñez?