Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Traditional roof/ceiling.

Traditional roof/ceiling.

Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Traditional roof/ceiling.

Hi to all! The property I am buying has, what I am told is a traditional roof. The supports are whole logs, with what looks like bamboo slats. I've been told by a builder that I will need to address the problem of insulation. My concern as well is that it may be a fire hazard, and also may harbour livestock of the eight legged variety, or worse. I am wondering if it is possible to plaster in between the poles, on top of the bamboo slats. It would be a shame in a way, as it looks quite spectacular. I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with me regarding this. Things I need to look out for etc. Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:31 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Traditional roof/ceiling.

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
Hi to all! The property I am buying has, what I am told is a traditional roof. The supports are whole logs, with what looks like bamboo slats. I've been told by a builder that I will need to address the problem of insulation. My concern as well is that it may be a fire hazard, and also may harbour livestock of the eight legged variety, or worse. I am wondering if it is possible to plaster in between the poles, on top of the bamboo slats. It would be a shame in a way, as it looks quite spectacular. I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with me regarding this. Things I need to look out for etc. Thanks
we didnt need to insulate but we did have to get rid of lots of bugs
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:03 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The traditional roofs such as you've described only have a finite lifespan due of course to the decomposable nature of which they were originally built! And the bamboo does harbour creepy crawlies.
However, if the roof itself is sound then you don't "have" to retrofit insulation but you may "want" to! If the roof has a corrugated sheet covering then this will have very poor insulating properties - ie much heat absorption in the summer and much heat loss in the winter. If it's tiled it's not so bad.
Plastering alone will have very little effect in improving insulation. You should be looking at polystyrene sheets or rolls of fibreglass/mineral wool insulation to do it properly. But then you're going to lose the beam effect internally. Swings and roundabouts! Or you go the whole hog and replace the entire roof structure, incorporating insulation as a matter of course!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The traditional roofs such as you've described only have a finite lifespan due of course to the decomposable nature of which they were originally built! And the bamboo does harbour creepy crawlies.
However, if the roof itself is sound then you don't "have" to retrofit insulation but you may "want" to! If the roof has a corrugated sheet covering then this will have very poor insulating properties - ie much heat absorption in the summer and much heat loss in the winter. If it's tiled it's not so bad.
Plastering alone will have very little effect in improving insulation. You should be looking at polystyrene sheets or rolls of fibreglass/mineral wool insulation to do it properly. But then you're going to lose the beam effect internally. Swings and roundabouts! Or you go the whole hog and replace the entire roof structure, incorporating insulation as a matter of course!
Hi there, thanks for that. It does have a tile roof, which seems to be pretty much water proof. I was over during the torrential rain in November, and there was only a small patch of water where the roof had leaked. I have been thinking about the possibility of raising the roof on the lowest side, at some point, or building up a level if the structure will take it. I'm waiting for the result of the survey before going ahead with the contract. Will talk to the builder about rehashing the roof and incorporating insulation, using the beams so they are visible. Would probably plaster between them in the end. Don't like the idea of bugs dropping on me in the night.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:26 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

first what type of roof is it ?is it a lean to type or pitched then is the roof tiled or does it have asbestos or tin or is it tiled then the beams are they in good condition ie any bugs or dry or wet rot in them one bug to look out for is poliga a nasty one that loves eating wood you can see holes in the wood and he leaves orange trails in the wooden beams . ok as for hiding the beams ure askin for trouble doing that whithout having good ventalion makes the wood or even brick decay and rot ,you need to treat the wood urgently whith anti bug paint to help get rid of the bugs in the wood is use desil it kills bugs in wood soak it for a week a good tip is do what the spanish do the cheapist option take the wood out and put concrete beams it will save you a fortune , but in our houses we have wooden new beams and the original brick ive painted layers of anti bug paint on them and the roof is pitched and lean to type with new tiles on most of the roofs its expensive as wood is dear in spain but looks very good in my view .