Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Town hall building licence - need for display.

Town hall building licence - need for display.

Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Town hall building licence - need for display.

When passing building work such as new house building, re-modelling or renovation I often see the town hall building licence displayed. Just as often however I see work of this type being carried out and no licence is displayed.
What, if any, are the "rules" on the display of building licences?
Is display discretionary? Presuming of course the work is licenced at all!
Thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Town hall building licence - need for display.

Yes, you are obliged to put up a sign giving the details of what you are doing and the people involved such as the builder and architect (if appropriate).

You can be fined (unlikely) for not displaying it, but it does stop neighbours denouncing you and sometimes the town hall send out inspectors looking for building works and this will stop them bothering you to see if you have a licence.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred, what prompted me TBH is that next door is having extensive work done to the house and garden, including installation of a pool (now finished), but no licence is displayed. I think they must have a licence (??) as they have a project manager who visits regularly to speak to the boss of the workers and discuss the work.
Despite the fact that it has been going on since April sometimes seven days a week and there is clearly months of work ahead I am tempted just to let it go in the interests of good neighbour relations, although they are French and don't intend to live in it permanently and are not here at the moment.
Am I being too "soft" not checking up?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
You can always go to the local planning department and ask if there is a license for the work.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
You can always go to the local planning department and ask if there is a license for the work.
Thanks again Fred, but then perhaps comes the dilemma, do I just thank them (whatever the result) or report them if no license. Seems sneaky!
Or are people who don't get the licence just making fools of those who do and like me, have done in the past?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 4:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You can also ask to see the licence just to check what they are having done - no malice in that at all.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You can also ask to see the licence just to check what they are having done - no malice in that at all.
Went to local office of the town hall, not where the main planning department is located and a quick computer check revealed no record of any licence! A form "Instancia General" was filled out which I signed, a copy of which goes to the planning department to confirm I presume whether there is a licence or not. Don't know what happens now but I shall see (or not as is the case).
Thanks Fred for your responses.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Went to local office of the town hall, not where the main planning department is located and a quick computer check revealed no record of any licence! A form "Instancia General" was filled out which I signed, a copy of which goes to the planning department to confirm I presume whether there is a licence or not. Don't know what happens now but I shall see (or not as is the case).
Well done you. Very neighbourly. Need to keep the froggies up to the mark!
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to display it, however it has to be shown to anyone that asks to see it, neigbours, police, passing dog etc etc. Failure to show it when asked can result in a denuncia- don't refuse to show it to a police officer!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Cebu you have to get a building permit if the renovations/extensions are more than 30 sq metres AND you have to have a small tarpaulin made showing the permit number, when granted,who obtained the permit and a contact number. this (4ft by 5ft) tarp has to be attached to the front of the property, or to the fence if a new building.
OK, so some people don't bother, but on subdivisions you also have to have the subdivisions engineer to sign off the plans and lodge copy of building permit with them.

I can understand why some people take the risk as it's a heck of a paperwork mountain - I know, we did it back in July!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
You don't have to display it, however it has to be shown to anyone that asks to see it, neigbours, police, passing dog etc etc. Failure to show it when asked can result in a denuncia- don't refuse to show it to a police officer!
Like all things in Spain, it may depend on the area, but our building licence clearly stated that we must erect a board 1x1.5m giving the details and that it must be visible from the road.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Like all things in Spain, it may depend on the area, but our building licence clearly stated that we must erect a board 1x1.5m giving the details and that it must be visible from the road.
Like you, it was mandatory for us to display the (A4) licence. If we didn't have it displayed - denuncia.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Phew! Glad you're not my neighbour.

Around where I live we try to get on with our neighbours and if they are building something we've got concerns about we just talk to them, discuss it and come to an agreed solution.

If I wanted to paint the outside of my house a different colour I wouldn't want my neighbours to denounce me because I didn't go and get a licence to display first.

Live and let live. Isn't there more than enough bureaucracy in Spain as it is?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billgates
Phew! Glad you're not my neighbour.

Around where I live we try to get on with our neighbours and if they are building something we've got concerns about we just talk to them, discuss it and come to an agreed solution.

If I wanted to paint the outside of my house a different colour I wouldn't want my neighbours to denounce me because I didn't go and get a licence to display first.

Live and let live. Isn't there more than enough bureaucracy in Spain as it is?
Don't know the neighbors, they're French and don't live here. Never met them. I
The large extent of the work being done, the fact that it's been ongoing since April and is likely to last for moths yet with much noise, then the comparison with painting the house is ridiculous.
Next the work went on in July from early morning to late at night in breach of the regulations for the area. It also went on into August when building is prohibited until I complained.
Finally, if they need a license they should get one!
Same as a car, would you describe the need for a driver's license, ITV & insurance as bureaucracy and therefore not worth observing?
Finally what agreed solution would talking achieve? The builders KNOW they need a license and are just trying to wing it. Full stop.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the neighbors, they're French and don't live here. Never met them. I
The large extent of the work being done, the fact that it's been ongoing since April and is likely to last for moths yet with much noise, then the comparison with painting the house is ridiculous.
Next the work went on in July from early morning to late at night in breach of the regulations for the area. It also went on into August when building is prohibited until I complained.
Finally, if they need a license they should get one!
Same as a car, would you describe the need for a driver's license, ITV & insurance as bureaucracy and therefore not worth observing?
Finally what agreed solution would talking achieve? The builders KNOW they need a license and are just trying to wing it. Full stop.
Now we are getting a few more details of the story.
You didn't say you have already complained to them. Your whole story sounds like you just don't like to feel they're getting one over on you.

....I am tempted just to let it go in the interests of good neighbour relations...
Or are people who don't get the licence just making fools of those who do and like me, have done in the past?
I just don't see why it's any of your business whether they have a licence or not. Not saying that you're not (you clearly are), but if people are going to snoop on others and make denuncias then they ought to make sure they are whiter than white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.