Torrevieja

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torrevieja

Hello people,

how much would a family with 2 adults, and 2 children age 3 and 8 spend on utilities and supermarket, living in a 3 bedroom apartment in Torrevieja a month. The apartment would be owned without a morgage.

I read that people are having trouble finding jobs, and i understand that the language issue is the biggest problem.

If anyone speaks fluent spanish and has a job, please let me know if it was hard to get one, and how you got about finding one.

I have posted on spanish job sites, but my problem is that im not living in europe at the moment. I have has many visits on my CV, but only to companies made contact by e mail, and both were in Gibraltar.

I am 100% fluent in spanish, both written and spoken.

thanks

Nick
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Torrevieja

Originally Posted by Nicks
Hello people,

how much would a family with 2 adults, and 2 children age 3 and 8 spend on utilities and supermarket, living in a 3 bedroom apartment in Torrevieja a month. The apartment would be owned without a morgage.

I read that people are having trouble finding jobs, and i understand that the language issue is the biggest problem.

If anyone speaks fluent spanish and has a job, please let me know if it was hard to get one, and how you got about finding one.

I have posted on spanish job sites, but my problem is that im not living in europe at the moment. I have has many visits on my CV, but only to companies made contact by e mail, and both were in Gibraltar.

thanks

Nick
Well the fluent Spanish is going to help you for sure.

As regards living expenses, if you have no mortgage or rent to pay you're in the same position as us in Northern CB. Maybe in the region of €1000 €1200 per month for a couple
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mitzyboy,

we are looking at public schoos/kinder for the boys. they are bilingual spanish/english. Do you know if the school suplies books, or does one have to buy those for the student?

n
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:32 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Hello people,

thanks

Nick
Hi Nicks,

I have looked for an office job in the past, but gave up. There was nothing available and that was about 4 years ago, things have got worse since then.

I have found that office jobs are quite segregated, Spanish companies only deal with Spanish clients, and being fluent in Spanish/English is not the be all and end all of the job market.

When I worked in the UK I found that speaking a second language was worth about 4 pound an hour more, in an office job.

That is not the case here, employers would rather make do with the language skills they have themselves,(albeit sketchy) than pay extra for an employee.

Also Torrevieja is not one of the best places for job, it is a bit of the "quinto c--o" in that respect.
Good luck anyway-
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mitzyboy,

we are looking at public schoos/kinder for the boys. they are bilingual spanish/english. Do you know if the school suplies books, or does one have to buy those for the student?

n
Your three year old will be able to start full time education in September. Both will require books - these will be funded by the Valencian government for the 8 year old but not for the three year old. The funding will be in the form of a bono - but check with the school's Asociación de Madres y Padres de Alumnes - membership of that may yield books at a discount over what you can buy in the shops.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the answers, keep them coming folks

Hmmm so i am out of luck on the office jobs, what about customer service, hotels, etc? I have experience in that

n