torrevieja

Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: torrevieja

Originally Posted by jonesa80
we were considering a trip to torrevieja to view houses then saw a report saying it was the crime capital of the coastas?

it this why property is cheap there compared to othere parts of the spanish coastline?
Sorry, Pints with their Breakfast fry-ups is a definate NONONONO! And, how can you ware that many Gold LOOP ear-rings without getting tired-head syndrom!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never been near there tbh, but most of the comments I have seen over three or four forums is that its not particularly nice place
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tommyg
.... A lot of the views expressed on here are the usual CDS v CB argument over and over again.
I don't think it is a case of CDS v CB it is more like Torrevieja v Anywhere Else in Spain.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I don't think it is a case of CDS v CB it is more like Torrevieja v Anywhere Else in Spain.
Thats certainly how I've come to understand it
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats certainly how I've come to understand it
It really is horrible.
Sorry all you good people who live there, but I saw a really ugly side to the place, and yep, everywhere has an ugly side, but it had a particular type of person.

Drugs were absolutely rife there, and I had contacts within the GC who told me real horror stories of the shear quantity of drugs bought into the are.

I have already said about a friend being shot in Spain, it happened on the road out of Pilar, he was taking drugs to Torrevieja.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

tommyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah well each to their own I guess. The wife and I love it here and so does almost everyone we know (apart from those that couldn`t survive anywhere in Spain, not just Torrevieja).

Now when is the next episode of Marbella Belles on, so I can see some real CHAVS.

Tom

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
It really is horrible.
Sorry all you good people who live there, but I saw a really ugly side to the place, and yep, everywhere has an ugly side, but it had a particular type of person.

Drugs were absolutely rife there, and I had contacts within the GC who told me real horror stories of the shear quantity of drugs bought into the are.

I have already said about a friend being shot in Spain, it happened on the road out of Pilar, he was taking drugs to Torrevieja.
The coast area along here is a well known landing place for drugs from Africa, and there are several raids a year, however that is likely to change as the area they use is now zoned for development, so the quiet coast will be no more. Most of the drug traffic ends up in Alicante for onward distribution as torreveija doesn't have the best of distribution systems with no rail trafffic. Sorry Rugbymatt, but I can't really have any sympathy for anyone caught up in the drugs trade, and if they are breaking the law in a country where the police are armed, then they have to face the possibility that they may end up on the wrong end of a bullet.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The coast area along here is a well known landing place for drugs from Africa, and there are several raids a year, however that is likely to change as the area they use is now zoned for development, so the quiet coast will be no more. Most of the drug traffic ends up in Alicante for onward distribution as torreveija doesn't have the best of distribution systems with no rail trafffic. Sorry Rugbymatt, but I can't really have any sympathy for anyone caught up in the drugs trade, and if they are breaking the law in a country where the police are armed, then they have to face the possibility that they may end up on the wrong end of a bullet.
Believe me I wasnt justifying it, or saying it was wrong, he was a brit who came out with the sole plan to sell drugs.
I found him amusing, he was an intelligent and articulate person, and I enjoyed his company at times, did I mourn for him? Definitely not, as I have said on another site, some drugs may be "legal" in Spain but dont thing that the GC have any problem at dealing with "extreme prejudice" any one they catch involved with them.

These are simply MY experiences with the area, I also know that a VERY large proportion of Basques live in the area and that in itself caused many problems, but I dont deny that many people live there and have a nice outlook of the place, the O/P asked for an opinion, I gave it, simple as.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Steve Roberson is an unknown quantity at this point

An individual person's view of anywhere in Spain has to be subjective.

If you come from a run down East London ghetto you will think Torrevieja is the most beautiful place on earth. If you are from a genteel English country village or coastal resort you will see it as a dirty, filthy, crime ridden dump.

I subscribe to one of these extremes but I'm not saying which!

Thanks for the patronising comments. I'm sure anyone from a city will appreciate what you have said.

I spent all my life in South London, and have family in East London, so I'm quite offended by someone saying about run down East London ghettos.

I moved to Spain five years ago to get away from stereotypes which I think is the problem with the comments above.

The biggest problem here in Spain is the lack of integration, too many people wanting little England.

I lived in Torrevieja for the first two years of being here and I didn't find many problems. My children loved their school, and picked up Spanish very quickly by mixing with Spanish children. I think the town is very pretty (minus the graffiti!), and the harbour and beaches are amongst the best in the area.

Then again, you can always find fault with wherever you are.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

mbridgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote - If you come from a run down East London ghetto you will think Torrevieja is the most beautiful place on earth. If you are from a genteel English country village or coastal resort you will see it as a dirty, filthy, crime ridden dump.

I am from a small Island in Essex maybe considered as an English country villlage or coastal resort, I do not consider Torrevieja as a dirty, filthy crime ridden dump- I have had a house here for some 4 years and apart from the graffiti the area is a wonderful place to live.

Each to their own....
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

marc22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Torrevieja is like a city centre . The areas surrounding it ie orihuela costa, villamartin campoamor etc are fine and apart from the odd brake in ( dont beleive all the hype i work closley with the guardia as an an interpreter and beleive me its not half as bad as the scare mongers make it out to be). Actually torrevieja centre itself although not my favourite place has improved over the last couple of years.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:51 pm
Straw Man.

OK I think we have the Torrevieja tourist board on here!

The last 3 posters all joined in march and all posted positive comments about the place!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

An individual person's view of anywhere in Spain has to be subjective.

If you come from a run down East London ghetto you will think Torrevieja is the most beautiful place on earth. If you are from a genteel English country village or coastal resort you will see it as a dirty, filthy, crime ridden dump.

I subscribe to one of these extremes but I'm not saying which!

LOL!!! You are spot on!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
OK I think we have the Torrevieja tourist board on here!

The last 3 posters all joined in march and all posted positive comments about the place!
yep i think you could be right
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beastess
I lived in Playa Flamenca for over four years. It´s about 5 kilometres away from Torrevieja and part of Orihuela Costa. We were intimidated off our urbanisation by a group of elderly English and Irish ex-pats. We live in Cartagena now and are much happier. That being said I don´t think Torrevieja is worse for crime than most of the UK. We still go back to Torrevieja regularly for karate lessons and to see friends, etc. We have had no problems in Torrevieja itself.

Just goes to show that mob rule works, no matter what age or social denomination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.