British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   torrevieja (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/torrevieja-435945/)

jonesa80 Mar 20th 2007 11:07 am

torrevieja

we were considering a trip to torrevieja to view houses then saw a report saying it was the crime capital of the coastas?

it this why property is cheap there compared to othere parts of the spanish coastline?

Lionda Mar 20th 2007 11:35 am

Re: torrevieja

Originally Posted by jonesa80 (Post 4537539)
we were considering a trip to torrevieja to view houses then saw a report saying it was the crime capital of the coastas?

it this why property is cheap there compared to othere parts of the spanish coastline?

We were told the same when we first started looking over 3 years ago so we looked at other parts instead and decided on the Costa Blanca area, inland from Alicante. Don't know if all that we heard is true - you hear all sorts about different areas, you just have to see for yourself. Don't be pressured into anything though if you are thinking of going on one of those viewing trips.

Beachcomber Mar 20th 2007 11:51 am

An individual person's view of anywhere in Spain has to be subjective.

If you come from a run down East London ghetto you will think Torrevieja is the most beautiful place on earth. If you are from a genteel English country village or coastal resort you will see it as a dirty, filthy, crime ridden dump.

I subscribe to one of these extremes but I'm not saying which!

jonesa80 Mar 20th 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Beachcomber (Post 4537734)
An individual person's view of anywhere in Spain has to be subjective.

If you come from a run down East London ghetto you will think Torrevieja is the most beautiful place on earth. If you are from a genteel English country village or coastal resort you will see it as a dirty, filthy, crime ridden dump.

I subscribe to one of these extremes but I'm not saying which!

thanks very much for your opinoins.

may have to think very carefully our options.

keithwalters Mar 20th 2007 11:54 am

We did one of these trips to Torrevieja about 6/7 years ago now (didn´t have the benefit of internet forums at the time!)

I remember the old town being plastered with grafitti, more so than your typical spanish town. And the agent pointed out a few of the "no-go" areas. Bless him for doing that, but he would have had a better chance of making a sale if he hadn´t!!

We decided never to return to Torrevieja - not even for a holiday!!

jonesa80 Mar 20th 2007 11:57 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4537745)
We did one of these trips to Torrevieja about 6/7 years ago now (didn´t have the benefit of internet forums at the time!)

I remember the old town being plastered with grafitti, more so than your typical spanish town. And the agent pointed out a few of the "no-go" areas. Bless him for doing that, but he would have had a better chance of making a sale if he hadn´t!!

We decided never to return to Torrevieja - not even for a holiday!!

its funny we just visited the vivaespanashow in olympia. none of the agents/developers every mentioned these bad comments.

derek500 Mar 20th 2007 12:01 pm

When we started looking, we were told to 'come out of Alicante airport and turn left'

A Welsh friend told me that Torrevieja was full of 'Right to Buy' tenants from the rough estates of Cardiff, who had sold up and moved there and ghettoized it.

I've never been there, but I'm sure it's not that bad!!

rugbymatt Mar 20th 2007 12:47 pm

I lived there some time ago, and worked in a very famous bar there, the drug problem was rife then, we even had Guardia on the door after a shooting in the bar!

Some years later I ended up there while sailing, our engine had seized and we needed a re-fit, and I was a little surprised to see it was still the same.
Now however it is Eastern European gangs that seem to be everywhere, but the drugs are still rife.
We actually got boarded by customs at machine gun point out there as well.

mikelincs Mar 20th 2007 2:50 pm

Torrevieja is my local 'big town' and having visited there at least once a week since arrivng here I have never had any problems. Yes there is crime, but a lot of it is opportunist such as from people who will insist on taking all their holiday money with them, then leaving it by their chair on the beach while they go for a swim. Things disappear in the UK like that as well. There are pickpockets in the maket area, also the 'pea' men, but then again guarding against pickpockets is normal in any crowd, and if you want to get fleeced falling for the 'pea' game then more fool you. There are plenty of good shops in the town, with the opportunity to buy anything from designer goods to a lot of 60c shops. Plenty of good cheap cafes etc, and big shopping centres and supermarkets. I suspect the crime rate and no-go areas are similar to other towns of similar size in the UK.

tommyg Mar 20th 2007 2:57 pm

Owned an apartment in the town centre for 4 years, moved here 4 months ago and so far have had no problems.

Tom

Beastess Mar 20th 2007 3:06 pm

I lived in Playa Flamenca for over four years. It´s about 5 kilometres away from Torrevieja and part of Orihuela Costa. We were intimidated off our urbanisation by a group of elderly English and Irish ex-pats. We live in Cartagena now and are much happier. That being said I don´t think Torrevieja is worse for crime than most of the UK. We still go back to Torrevieja regularly for karate lessons and to see friends, etc. We have had no problems in Torrevieja itself.

tommyg Mar 20th 2007 6:15 pm

If you want the views of people who live in Torrevieja can I suggest you ask again on http://www.torrevieja.co.uk. A lot of the views expressed on here are the usual CDS v CB argument over and over again.

:)

mbridgie Mar 20th 2007 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by tommyg (Post 4539162)
If you want the views of people who live in Torrevieja can I suggest you ask again on http://www.torrevieja.co.uk. A lot of the views expressed on here are the usual CDS v CB argument over and over again.

:)

Agree with Tommyg, so far no problems, thoroughly enjoying the Torrevieja scene, visit the site mentioned for lively debate majority of which is positive and encouraging for those living in the area.

big wheels Mar 20th 2007 8:57 pm

We rented a place on the Orihuela Costa, Flamingo hills urb a few years ago from a work colleague for a two week hoilday.
I must say it was the most miserable 5 days we have ever spent in Spain.

Talk about "Little boxes made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same":huh:
Maybe that's why they're cheaper??

We decided after 5 days to leave and head to Cartagena for the rest of our holiday.

But said colleague still lives there and loves it, so just goes to prove we're not all the same with our views on living in Spain:)

Big Pete Mar 20th 2007 9:50 pm

If you want my opinion i wouldnt go to Torrevieja , its cheap for a reason , lots better places to choose from , take your time ask the members first.. dont just rush in :)

My experiences of the place were 10 days of watching over my shoulder hand kept on wallet all the time !! No way to live in my opinion :mad:
Lost a Hitachi top of the range Video recorder within 2 days of being there apparently they tailed the car and waitted until i had left it for like 1 minute and zap away it went on the back of some motorbike gang .. i also understood they had codes with markings they left on houses and stuff..saying to other gang members when your home or not and stuff pretty naff place in my opinion anyways..

:thumbdown: