Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Apart from firebombimg the tolls......
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
For me the easiest way for this to work is for the car hire company to charge up front as part of the rental price a "season ticket" for unlimited usage of the hire car on the toll road for the rental period.Ths means that the punter knows there is nothing more to pay.
The hire company would be liable for all toll charges for the car.
They would have the necessary accounts set up with the toll company to deal with this.
Some people would use the tolls a lot,but I suspect a lot would not. So the season ticket charge should be reasonable.
I would be happy if is as this way permanently, as it takes away any hassle for the vacationer.This surely must be in the best interest of Algarve tourism.
The alternative where as Jon says you leave an open cheque would put a lot of people off from visiting again. especially if they had a bad exprerience of a
excessive charge.
Or am I being naive. Anyone with a simpler idea?
Not quite sure why you think you are leaving a 'blank cheque'. You make out a credit card mandate to the CTT at the Car Hire Co and you will get a time and date stamped receipt from the card payment machine. When you return the car you ask them to do a Null or Void transaction with the machine - this will provide you with a date/time of the return. If any charges are made outside this provable time period then you will be covered by the credit card rules and get reimbursed by Visa or Mastercard who will attempt to recover the charges from the CTT. In effect it is exactly the same as setting up a temporary direct debit mandate as you would do if you had bought/rented your own transponder machine. The Hire Cos are being given 6 months to bring their systems up to date with modern payment card standards.
One warning - don't use a Hire Co which still uses the zip-zap machines!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Not quite sure why you think you are leaving a 'blank cheque'. You make out a credit card mandate to the CTT at the Car Hire Co and you will get a time and date stamped receipt from the card payment machine. When you return the car you ask them to do a Null or Void transaction with the machine - this will provide you with a date/time of the return. If any charges are made outside this provable time period then you will be covered by the credit card rules and get reimbursed by Visa or Mastercard who will attempt to recover the charges from the CTT. In effect it is exactly the same as setting up a temporary direct debit mandate as you would do if you had bought/rented your own transponder machine. The Hire Cos are being given 6 months to bring their systems up to date with modern payment card standards.
The blank cheque comes from the fact that you do not know what your charges are until the paperwork has passed between the hire people and the toll people.Then the charge is made to your credit card If anyone thinks that this process is going to be without mistakes , good luck. Also Credit card companies under section 75 only reimburse on items over £100 if a PROVABLE mistake is made,or you do not receive goods you payed for.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Also Credit card companies under section 75 only reimburse on items over £100 if a PROVABLE mistake is made,or you do not receive goods you payed for.
That is contrary to my experiences where incorrect charges have been made.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
That is contrary to my experiences where incorrect charges have been made.
If you google money saving expert section 75 it will explain what you can claim for.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you google money saving expert section 75 it will explain what you can claim for.
I don't need to Google I have been reimbursed for services much less than £100
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Sue F is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

If your credit card is charged incorrectly you can raise a dispute and you will be refunded under scheme chargeback rules. For low value disputes it is likely that the credit card company would simply refund your card as the cost of raising a chargeback would be greater than the value of the refund. Section 75 of the consumer credit act relates to disputes around quality of goods/services etc and does have a minimum value before it can be used.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't need to Google I have been reimbursed for services much less than £100
Well presumably you had proof of the service you did not get.
What proof have you got that you used the tolls less times than billed??
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well presumably you had proof of the service you did not get.
What proof have you got that you used the tolls less times than billed??
I was pointing out that the £100 scenario was incorrect.

However to answer your further query about proof then see:-

Post 197 plus also consider flight information
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

HI

When Ive rented from car park 4 often they dont have machines, they rub the manual carbon copy credit card voucher, with the card underneath, with something - like a biro end. If they have machines its still not the electronic ones, but the old manual slide along machines... unless things have changed in the last few months.

There's been no electronic connection there - often its just a van you go to to pick up keys. Which means there is no internet there either .... if for example in the future there is a way to see online the last usage (mentioned before)

There's then obviously no way to have a time stamp on return.... which is why I want a copy contract with a stamp on it from the renter with a time CONFIRMED (as mentioned above). (Also a set of individual credit card charges, coded so that I can see each trip.)

But this still needs a hell of an Admin and IT system supporting it to ensure we are not billed incorrectly.

Jon
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I was pointing out that the £100 scenario was incorrect.

However to answer your further query about proof then see:-

Post 197 plus also consider flight information
I agree Fred. It's important, as Sue F says, to distinguish between spurious charges that can be disputed and the 'insurance' aspect of CC purchases. If there is a toll charge outside one's hire period then dispute it. It will then be up to CTT to justify the charge, and let's face it, we're not talking about mountains of cash here.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
I agree Fred. It's important, as Sue F says, to distinguish between spurious charges that can be disputed and the 'insurance' aspect of CC purchases. If there is a toll charge outside one's hire period then dispute it. It will then be up to CTT to justify the charge, and let's face it, we're not talking about mountains of cash here.
Although you could be looking at a fine of Max 125Euros - Min 25 Euros if the system doesn't match you up with a payment mandate - which isn't trivial.

BTW Jon- the IT systems must all be in place already as this is by no means a novel application and there are examples of electronic tolling and automatic billing all over the world. The payment systems will all be based on standard card payment systems which again have been running with few errors for many years. I also believe that the Portuguese have some very competant IT engineers well capable of developing and managing such systems - I used to manage an IT support team based in Lisbon which provide IT support across the whole of Europe.
If you think about it it has to be a PAYG system and not one where you settle up at the end as any rental much longer than a week will have started accumulating automatic penalties from the early part of the rental period.
If you need an itemised record of your billing look at your credit card statement as each journey will be a separate item - although if you have a sterling credit card then your bank may well add £1.50 to each transaction
I'm beginning to sound like an evangelist for the system, which is far from the truth, but it's a whole lot better than all the rumours which were flying about last year
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

For me the easiest way for this to work is for the car hire company to charge up front as part of the rental price a "season ticket" for unlimited usage of the hire car on the toll road for the rental period.Ths means that the punter knows there is nothing more to pay.
The hire company would be liable for all toll charges for the car.
They would have the necessary accounts set up with the toll company to deal with this.
Some people would use the tolls a lot,but I suspect a lot would not. So the season ticket charge should be reasonable.
I would be happy if is as this way permanently, as it takes away any hassle for the vacationer.This surely must be in the best interest of Algarve tourism.
The alternative where as Jon says you leave an open cheque would put a lot of people off from visiting again. especially if they had a bad exprerience of a
excessive charge.
Or am I being naive. Anyone with a simpler idea?
Hi,

Please see post #193. Isn't this happening at the moment with Portuguese rental cars? The "toll tax" is your season ticket (ie. 7 - 21 € per week) until the end of June?

After July 1st, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the toll tax continues to be applied by the car hire companies (plus the .60¢ daily charge for the transponder) whether or not you choose to use the A22.

Are we confusing CTT with Via Verde? I thought the contract from July onwards would be made with Via Verde. CTT and the PayShop chains are places where the payment for services can be made (also for mobile phone top ups etc.)
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,

Please see post #193. Isn't this happening at the moment with Portuguese rental cars? The "toll tax" is your season ticket (ie. 7 - 21 € per week) until the end of June?

After July 1st, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the toll tax continues to be applied by the car hire companies (plus the .60¢ daily charge for the transponder) whether or not you choose to use the A22.

Are we confusing CTT with Via Verde? I thought the contract from July onwards would be made with Via Verde. CTT and the PayShop chains are places where the payment for services can be made (also for mobile phone top ups etc.)
I don't think the concessionaire for the A22 is Via Verde (although their devices are accepted on the A22 and would have the advantage of being usable across the other Portuguese autoroutes). I'm not sure but think the concessionaire could be Brisa - it's suppose to be signed on the side of the road. VV, CTT, Payshops and certain Service Area operators are indeed places where you can pay - and you can pay online too. These are all acting as agents for the concessionaire.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

DickieJarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Although you could be looking at a fine of Max 125Euros - Min 25 Euros if the system doesn't match you up with a payment mandate - which isn't trivial.
Wise words indeed...
Attached Thumbnails Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro-toll-fine-1.jpg   Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro-toll-fine-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.