Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by John & Kath
That seems reasonable until you look at the last journey along the motorway to the airport which will not be logged for at least 48 hrs or longer at BH or weekends. Then they will chase you back to UK etc for 80c plus add ons.
As I read it it will just be charged to your CC. No addons as far as I can see.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Guesswork . The items you posted from the Portuguese forum seem to have outlined what we can expect this year.
What we now need some meat on the bones ie
For the first six months
1)Will the charge be the same from every car hire company or will they differ.
2} Will the charge be on your original booking or surprise amount paid locally when you get there.(Open to Ryanair type of mugging here!!)

I have booked a car for February through a well known websiite that a lot of us use.
And in all of the prices from the various companies listed there was no mention of the extra amount to be paid.Although funnily enough they all now seem to charge an extra amount for travel across the Spanish border
(25 euro's seems to ne the norm) This was not the case before, many of them did not charge.

I think I will email the booking companyy and ask them about the possible extra charges and see what they say.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Well the booking company came back to me and they are still under the impression that the car companies will give the toll people your details and you will be billed later.
When they hear different they will put a blog on their website.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
That seems reasonable until you look at the last journey along the motorway to the airport which will not be logged for at least 48 hrs or longer at BH or weekends. Then they will chase you back to UK etc for 80c plus add ons.
As I read it, after July 2012 you sign a credit/debit card agreement with the concession company (or CTT?) and pay directly the tolls incurred to them as you go (PAYG) - which is just like having your own temporary transponder for the period of the car hire (with a 0.60pd rental charge) ie there is no question of leaving an open credit card with the rental company - which should alleviate a load of concerns.
The arrangements for the interim seem quite sensible as long as the rental companies make a reasonable (ie only nominal) charge or 'tax'. Hopefully this will be monitored by the authorities. At last it looks like some sense is beginning to be introduced to the madhouse.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
As I read it, after July 2012 you sign a credit/debit card agreement with the concession company (or CTT?) and pay directly the tolls incurred to them as you go (PAYG) - which is just like having your own temporary transponder for the period of the car hire (with a 0.60pd rental charge) ie there is no question of leaving an open credit card with the rental company - which should alleviate a load of concerns.
I thought that car hire (and hotels for that matter) companies we were able to take money from credit cards without authority after 'final' payment has been authorised by the holder.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I thought that car hire (and hotels for that matter) companies we were able to take money from credit cards without authority after 'final' payment has been authorised by the holder.
If the Yor Car information is correct it says that you sign a seperate Credit Card mandate with the Concession Company (CTT?) which will be responsible for PAYG of the toll charges as they are incurred (including the final trip back to the airport). This has nothing to do with the credit card arrangements you make with the Rental company for the car guarantee - which you should get back or have destroyed when you return your car - as previous. If you have done it this way then there should be no possibility for any fines for non-payment and so no reason for the Rental co to hold open any credit card mandate.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

If the Yor Car information is correct it says that you sign a seperate Credit Card mandate with the Concession Company (CTT?) which will be responsible for PAYG of the toll charges as they are incurred (including the final trip back to the airport). This has nothing to do with the credit card arrangements you make with the Rental company for the car guarantee - which you should get back or have destroyed when you return your car - as previous. If you have done it this way then there should be no possibility for any fines for non-payment and so no reason for the Rental co to hold open any credit card mandate.

The way I read it is you sign an agreement with the toll company for the period of your car hire.They apply any charges that apply to that cars number plate for your rental period . they then will debit your credit card after you have gone home. because there will be some administration to do before they can calculate the final figure.So you will not see what the charge iuntill some time after you have gone home.I wonder what compalint process will be in place if you disagree with the charge.None I would guess.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
The way I read it is you sign an agreement with the toll company for the period of your car hire.They apply any charges that apply to that cars number plate for your rental period . they then will debit your credit card after you have gone home. because there will be some administration to do before they can calculate the final figure.So you will not see what the charge iuntill some time after you have gone home.I wonder what compalint process will be in place if you disagree with the charge.None I would guess.
This might work for me - but ......... does anyone know:-

Where is the TIMING of car being TAKEN and then DROPPED off?? The 'clock' has to be zeroed when I take the car and when I drop it off. Otherwise with an open credit card we could be paying for someone else's tolls!

Is the process that you get the car, go into the airport with the reg no and make a SEPARATE contract with CTT? Then automatically there is a double check of the old rental. Meaning 1) Last renter bought the paperwork in to close the contract (AND got a receipt): This zero's the old usage: And then I took a new contract with CTT confirming the zero (and ideally having a receipt showing that).

This seems a laborious system for us the renters and then the whole system of checks and balances and international billing is a nightmare process that has many areas to go wrong! This is not a simple IT AND admin system to programme and I BET they havent thought it through.

If this would work seamlessly it answers the problems for me.

But I dont trust that it will work seamlessly and also I dont want to make that CTT contract with an open C-card with the rental agent. As we then depend on them to do the zeroing.... each time.....

Also they need to surely send a document showing the trips taken and charging so that we can double check... and yes a complaints procedure as well.

No chance all this is done..... seamlessly.....

Ooooops.

Hope this makes sense...
Jon
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
This might work for me - but ......... does anyone know:-

Where is the TIMING of car being TAKEN and then DROPPED off?? The 'clock' has to be zeroed when I take the car and when I drop it off. Otherwise with an open credit card we could be paying for someone else's tolls!

Is the process that you get the car, go into the airport with the reg no and make a SEPARATE contract with CTT? Then automatically there is a double check of the old rental. Meaning 1) Last renter bought the paperwork in to close the contract (AND got a receipt): This zero's the old usage: And then I took a new contract with CTT confirming the zero (and ideally having a receipt showing that).

This seems a laborious system for us the renters and then the whole system of checks and balances and international billing is a nightmare process that has many areas to go wrong! This is not a simple IT AND admin system to programme and I BET they havent thought it through.

If this would work seamlessly it answers the problems for me.

But I dont trust that it will work seamlessly and also I dont want to make that CTT contract with an open C-card with the rental agent. As we then depend on them to do the zeroing.... each time.....

Also they need to surely send a document showing the trips taken and charging so that we can double check... and yes a complaints procedure as well.

No chance all this is done..... seamlessly.....

Ooooops.

Hope this makes sense...
Jon
The contract would have to be done via the rental company acting as middle man because I cannot imagine the Toll people being there at all times a car is picked up/put down. they would be on office hours surely. 9 till 5. Hour for lunch. Not open weekends.etc etc
So the rental company does the paperwork.They pass on details to the CTT (hire period ,car details etc)
The CTT marry up the toll usage with the time period and transponder details.
You get debited at some time in the future.Its messy and prone to huge cockups.
Also if you hire a car but do not intend to use the toll road ,do you stil pay for daily transponder hire. Nice little earner for someone there I think.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

The contract would have to be done via the rental company acting as middle man because I cannot imagine the Toll people being there at all times a car is picked up/put down. they would be on office hours surely. 9 till 5. Hour for lunch. Not open weekends.etc etc
So the rental company does the paperwork.They pass on details to the CTT (hire period ,car details etc)
The CTT marry up the toll usage with the time period and transponder details.
You get debited at some time in the future.Its messy and prone to huge cockups.
Also if you hire a car but do not intend to use the toll road ,do you stil pay for daily transponder hire. Nice little earner for someone there I think.
Thanks for the clarification....

So it means that we also have to trust the rental co about the timing I mentioned above.... Its not unconceivable that a car is returned, cleaned and turned around in less than an hour.... so we have to trust them that they have separated out the usage.

Hmmmmm 'prone to cock ups' is an understatement!

Lets see how this works in practice.....
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE AFTER JULY 1ST 2012
All Algarve car rental vehicles will have to be equipped with an electronic device identify the car on the Algarve A22 tolls system. The clients will then have to provide valid a credit card and sign a contract with one of the companies in charge of the tolls charges (CTT) valid during the duration of the car hire contract. All toll charges eventually generated will be charged directly to the client's credit card. No charges will be made if the driver doesn't use any tolled roads. However, a mandatory rental charge for the electronic device is predicted around 0.60 EUR daily for all clients.

The above is a quote from the Yor Car information which clearly states that you give a credit card mandate to the Concessionary company (not to the car rental company). As long as you are accurate about the dates and times of collection and return of your car - this will limit the validity of the mandate so you shouldn't (barring mistakes) get charged for tolls you don't incur. seems simple and easy to use to me. If that's what's actually implemented, of course.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

All Algarve car rental vehicles will have to be equipped with an electronic device identify the car on the Algarve A22 tolls system. The clients will then have to provide valid a credit card and sign a contract with one of the companies in charge of the tolls charges (CTT) valid during the duration of the car hire contract. All toll charges eventually generated will be charged directly to the client's credit card. No charges will be made if the driver doesn't use any tolled roads. However, a mandatory rental charge for the electronic device is predicted around 0.60 EUR daily for all clients.

The above is a quote from the Yor Car information which clearly states that you give a credit card mandate to the Concessionary company (not to the car rental company). As long as you are accurate about the dates and times of collection and return of your car - this will limit the validity of the mandate so you shouldn't (barring mistakes) get charged for tolls you don't incur. seems simple and easy to use to me. If that's what's actually implemented, of course.
Thats what I said on my previos post but the mandate would have to be filled in by the car hirer who would then pass the paperwork onto the toll operator. I would have thought the toll operator would not have a representative at the the airport to do the paperwork. If they did they would not be there 7 days a week and waiting for delayed late flights etc like the car hire companies do. So it makes sense that the car hire people do this function for them. Its in their interest as ultimately the charges are for cars they have hired out.This is the only way it could work as I see it.
If not where would you have to go after you collect your car to sign up for this??
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
I have just read this on the Portuguese Forum.

Taken from the Yor Car web site:

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE UNTIL DECEMBER 31ST 2011
The Algarve Car Rental Companies are obligated to identify the driver of each hire car passing by the toll road stations. The normal traffic fines will later be sent by post to the driver's address. There is also the possibility to pay the fines on any Portuguese Post Offices (CTT) 48 hours after passing the toll station, by informing the car plate and dates.

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE BETWEEN JANUARY 1ST AND JUNE 30TH 2012
All Algarve Car Rental Companies will be obligated to pay a 6 months permission to allow their cars to use freely the toll roads. For the car hire companies in Portugal, this will be mandatory. A special rule has been published on December 12th 2011, allowing Portuguese car rental companies to charge locally a tolls tax. This tax is predicted to be between 1.00 EUR and 3.00 EUR.

At least there seems to be some movement now
Thanks Guesswork for this information.

My present travel plans have been postponed due to this week's storm , however, each week seems to bring new information.

It would appear from the above information (and this must be confirmed with your Portuguese car rental company) that, between now and the end of June, I would be able to travel freely only on the A22 by virtue of having paid the local toll tax of either 1€ - 3€ per day of my car rental agreement. So, no hassle of having to pay post travel at the CTT or Payshops/ or to hire a temporary transponder.

This page mentions similar hire car info:
http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exer...,frameless.htm
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Positive

Thats what I said on my previos post but the mandate would have to be filled in by the car hirer who would then pass the paperwork onto the toll operator. I would have thought the toll operator would not have a representative at the the airport to do the paperwork. If they did they would not be there 7 days a week and waiting for delayed late flights etc like the car hire companies do. So it makes sense that the car hire people do this function for them. Its in their interest as ultimately the charges are for cars they have hired out.This is the only way it could work as I see it.
If not where would you have to go after you collect your car to sign up for this??
Hmmm this is an additional system that has been implemented to overcome a problem I suspect they hadnt thought about. A band-aid is always prone to more errors.

I have no real problem paying the tolls as long as there is a system that works. Making a contract and giving credit card details to a CTT contract with the renter works for me (in principle). Though I remain concerned about leaving with a blank cheque......

In practice.... hmmm. I am doing this off the top of my head - maybe Ive missed a step.
  1. I sign my contract - give CC info.
  2. It must have a Time stamp which the rental co witnesses as the time taken out.
  3. The contract is held on file
  4. I return the car: I WANT a time stamp for the return as well with a signed copy that I can take with me as my copy of the return document.
  5. The car is sent off for cleaning and the process resumes with the next renter.

My contract needs to be sent to CTT. When will they do it - immediately?

CTT needs to have a system that 1) Chases renters to ensure the contract is in - if they see usage and no contract. 2) Takes the timing information and applies that to the relevant contract 3) Takes the right money from the open credit card.

It looks like there is no receipt (that I have heard of) so we can double check... hopefully there will be multiple credit card withdrawals for each toll - so we can check with some sort of a coding of journey and time.

If there is a receipt there is an additional step of printing and sending out!!

Finally there needs to be a complaints process, because they already have the money and we have to complain if there is an error in all the steps leading up tp this.

The process above is non-trivial from both an admin perspective and an IT perspective. It depends on a chain of human input from the renter to the person(s) that receives THOUDSANDS of contracts

Lots of scope for error.

BUT if this all works - fine by me - I have never had a big issue about the charges themselves.....

Lets see if this crowd can really make it work.
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 8th 2012 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

For me the easiest way for this to work is for the car hire company to charge up front as part of the rental price a "season ticket" for unlimited usage of the hire car on the toll road for the rental period.Ths means that the punter knows there is nothing more to pay.
The hire company would be liable for all toll charges for the car.
They would have the necessary accounts set up with the toll company to deal with this.
Some people would use the tolls a lot,but I suspect a lot would not. So the season ticket charge should be reasonable.
I would be happy if is as this way permanently, as it takes away any hassle for the vacationer.This surely must be in the best interest of Algarve tourism.
The alternative where as Jon says you leave an open cheque would put a lot of people off from visiting again. especially if they had a bad exprerience of a
excessive charge.
Or am I being naive. Anyone with a simpler idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.